Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: New AX10 Owner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2008, 05:27 AM   #1

Smile New AX10 Owner

Hello everyone
I'm new to this site and to rc crawling...this is a great site very helpfull
just finished building and painting my AX10 I think it turned out ok (its my first attempt at painting) for a rattle can job...sorry about the poor quality took these pics with my phone.

its stock for now
I'm still working on getting electronics for it, what i have so far is:
Airtronics MX-3FHSS radio
HS 645mg servo
CC Sidewinder
CC castle link

This is what I intend to get to get it crawling:
8 cell split battery pack
TCS battery plates for the front axel
novak 55t motor
CC bec
and a charger (not sure which one yet)

please let me know what you guys think of my planed setup...good or bad I want to hear it

Last edited by JAcKal_6686; 03-18-2008 at 06:02 AM.
JAcKal_6686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2008, 06:37 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

First to reply, very nice build, also good job on the body!! It will only look better a little scuffed up.
rckcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 10:07 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

It does look good and I would say your off to a good start on your build.

I would recommend the Hyperion 5i DP AC/DC charger to you. I have it and it is a pretty sweet charger. It will charge anything you will ever run, and it's very simple to use.
Trimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 10:52 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAcKal_6686 View Post
This is what I intend to get to get it crawling:
8 cell split battery pack
TCS battery plates for the front axel
novak 55t motor
CC bec
and a charger (not sure which one yet)

please let me know what you guys think of my planed setup...good or bad I want to hear it
Nice rig. Pretty darn good for your first paintjob. I've resorted to getting vendors to do my paint jobs for me, I'm that good :-P

Sounds like a good set-up. Just running a 645MG servo, you probably don't need the external BEC, but it's nice to have for when you do decide to upgrade to a better servo.

Nothing against TCS, but save yourself some money and make the battery mount plates yourself. I made mine out of lexan and it took me about 5 minutes. They're really quite easy to make, assuming you've got some basic tools. Of course, I'm the guy who pays others to paint my crawlers !

Lots of different chargers out there. Buy one that will grow with you as you expand and try different packs. I wish I had done that at the beginning of getting into this hobby!
ecoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 11:20 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Great job on the paint job for rattle cans. Im just like the poster above me, not paint skills at all I pay someone else to paint what I run. As far as chargers go I would at least look into this guy here.

http://www.bmkdesigns.net/iMax-B5-Ba...er-pr-333.html

Cheap and can charge EVERYTHING. great for growing into the hobby.
DanTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 12:49 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Nice paint on the body. Those pictures aren't half-bad. What phone did you use to take those pictures?
jdmstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 11:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckcrawler View Post
First to reply, very nice build, also good job on the body!! It will only look better a little scuffed up.
Thanks...ya can't wait to put some scratchs on it just waiting for my better half to approve the funding for the rest of the project lol
Old 03-19-2008, 11:14 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimmy View Post
It does look good and I would say your off to a good start on your build.

I would recommend the Hyperion 5i DP AC/DC charger to you. I have it and it is a pretty sweet charger. It will charge anything you will ever run, and it's very simple to use.

Thank you
...the charger sounds good i'm having trouble finding it though
Old 03-19-2008, 11:37 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoli View Post
Nice rig. Pretty darn good for your first paintjob. I've resorted to getting vendors to do my paint jobs for me, I'm that good :-P

Sounds like a good set-up. Just running a 645MG servo, you probably don't need the external BEC, but it's nice to have for when you do decide to upgrade to a better servo.

Nothing against TCS, but save yourself some money and make the battery mount plates yourself. I made mine out of lexan and it took me about 5 minutes. They're really quite easy to make, assuming you've got some basic tools. Of course, I'm the guy who pays others to paint my crawlers !

Lots of different chargers out there. Buy one that will grow with you as you expand and try different packs. I wish I had done that at the beginning of getting into this hobby!

Thank you painting it was pretty easy...I got the idea on how to do it from the newb forum on this site, this site is great it has it all, its been very helpfull to me.

The lexan sounds like a good idea...what thickness did you use and can i pick it up at my LHS...dummy me already got rid of the scraps I had left over from the body lol

about the BEC and charger...I figure the BEC will be good to have just in case and I do wanna get a charger that will do both LiPo and NiMh just kinda lost as to which ones are good quality and which are not and what I should look for spec wise
Old 03-19-2008, 11:44 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTaylor View Post
Great job on the paint job for rattle cans. Im just like the poster above me, not paint skills at all I pay someone else to paint what I run. As far as chargers go I would at least look into this guy here.

http://www.bmkdesigns.net/iMax-B5-Ba...er-pr-333.html

Cheap and can charge EVERYTHING. great for growing into the hobby.
Thanks for that about the paint job

all I can say about that Imax is WOW!!! sound just like what I'm lokking for great features and a good price to boot thanks for the link...looks like thats the one I'm gonna go for
Old 03-19-2008, 11:49 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmstuff View Post
Nice paint on the body. Those pictures aren't half-bad. What phone did you use to take those pictures?
Thank you...the phone is a Sidekick LX the camera on it is absolute crap indoors or in the dark the flash washes everything out, way too bright
Old 03-19-2008, 11:55 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
The lexan sounds like a good idea...what thickness did you use and can i pick it up at my LHS...dummy me already got rid of the scraps I had left over from the body lol
That lexan is a little on the thin side, so don't worry about tossing it. I'd just pick some up from your local Home Depot or Lowe's. Much cheaper than the lhs. I think I used about 1/16 or 1/8". Stiff, but still easily cut with a strong pair of scissors.
ecoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 11:57 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoli View Post
That lexan is a little on the thin side, so don't worry about tossing it. I'd just pick some up from your local Home Depot or Lowe's. Much cheaper than the lhs. I think I used about 1/16 or 1/8". Stiff, but still easily cut with a strong pair of scissors.
Ok cool thanks I'll give it a try
Old 03-19-2008, 02:17 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Thank you painting it was pretty easy...I got the idea on how to do it from the newb forum on this site, this site is great it has it all, its been very helpfull to me.
Love the paint work - do you remember which article you read - I could search my brains out and probably never come across it

My PC shell painting capabilities are slim to non - would like to read whatever got you to that body of yours !

thanks

( pics came out great )
phatchantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 02:53 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatchantz View Post
Love the paint work - do you remember which article you read - I could search my brains out and probably never come across it

My PC shell painting capabilities are slim to non - would like to read whatever got you to that body of yours !

thanks

( pics came out great )
Thanks I tihink it was in the paint section of this very forum lots of good tips there anyway you should check it out

it was easy to do though I got a set of parma paint masks I think its called slayer slaped em on used a hair dryer to heat them up to make sure they stuck down to all the nooks and cranies sprayed it with outlaw black peeled off the outline sprayed it with white (kinda wish i'd used silver for the outline now) peeled the rest of the mask off and sprayed it fluorescent green the green is really see through so you have to back that with the white paint too and that's it... just go slow and spray light coats oh and don't forget to wash the body inside first before you paint

Last edited by JAcKal_6686; 03-19-2008 at 05:12 PM.
Old 03-19-2008, 05:54 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

Default thanks

thanks for the info, the "parma paint mask" was new to me, have never come across that before -

appreciate it !

( I hadn't really considered how well the black sets off the "Axial green" before I saw your work )
phatchantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 06:31 PM   #17
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Thank you
...the charger sounds good i'm having trouble finding it though

Support the vendors here on RCC IMHO,the Hyperion chargers are the way to go. Check them out here...Holmes Hobbies

I'm using the Hyperion EOS0606I AC/DC Charger and LOVE it. Best charger I've used to date.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote