Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: CKRC stage 2 Is it worth it

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2008, 06:19 PM   #1

Default CKRC stage 2 Is it worth it

I was wondering what kind of difference would i notice with the stage 2 installed.Please give me feedback from those of u whom already have it installed.Thanks in advance!
rcracer3905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2008, 06:22 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

it is fantastic, get it with the bent links and you wont be dissappointed. the worst thing about it is having to take the entire truck back apart. to do all the mods, but thats not big deal
dub599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 06:28 PM   #3
ghetto fabulous newbie

NO, waste of money.
yotachump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 06:30 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I say its not worth it. I would go for a different chassis set up before the stage 2. It seems to give you problems with axle steer and such.
Josh87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 08:38 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I have ran stage 2 scorpion and stock one. The stage 2 was much nicer. I thought it really helped the kit out. One thing i did notice is that it seemed to give it to so much articulation you could get yourself into trouble if you dont have some upgrades to axles and drivetrain. But for overall i would say yes the kit is worth it.
Scottish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 08:43 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotachump View Post
NO, waste of money.

X2.
jeepcj578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 10:04 PM   #7

for those who say its a waste....why? is it all stuff you can get the same effect for free by making adjustments or something? I'm not being a smart azz -- my buddy just ordered that kit and I'm very interested to see the difference for myself - mine is a bone stock AX-10 that i'm just starting to tweak / tune.
Heavy Metal Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 10:14 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

I just did this to mine and have not even crawled any thing but around the house when it was stock i hope I like it im going this Sunday I think to a course in my area to check out the course and will report if it works or not or waste of money I hope not
twistedone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 11:02 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

I would say that it is not worth it. If your buddy is installing it, wait and see what it does for his. I did have it installed on mine ,but ended up changing a few things to suit my chassis needs because it really did not seem to make anything better. After you see your buddie's, you can take what you like from it and fabricate it yourself for probably alot cheaper
ElChupoCabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 01:09 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I've spent almost more time watching my rig work and tweaking it as I have driving it.

I performed the "Stage 2" mods to my scorpion, and I feel it helped more than hurt. I fabbed the links myself so it cost me like $2 bucks, but I wouldn't pay more than that.

I don't know what you guys are talking about, but even though the link geometry isn't the most ideal, it's still an improvement over stock.

I've got a dig setup, so maybe thats why mine works so well.

Even so, I can make it over the same ledges now that I would roll over on before, and "impossible" crevice ascends.

Last edited by BigRocks; 03-08-2008 at 01:13 AM.
BigRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 09:42 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

If you know how to make links out of aluminum rod, you can do the stage two mod for about 2$-3 bucks. all you need are longer uppers, bent lowers and some 3x30mm bolts.
mysharona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 11:04 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

i noticed a much bigger difference when i put on a set of losi rock claws than when i did the stage 2 mod. i just got my tires yesterday. the stage 2 is a great way to improve on the stock system. it does cost a lot less if your able to find and make all the parts yourself.
dub599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 09:50 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

well some bench and basement tests are really so far not impressing me much and has anyone else done this with a brushless motor im have a issue of clearance on the motor side with the upper link hitting and making it real hard to mesh motor not happy with that so far
still very twisty i guess thats the word im thinking
well of to the rock in am to really see whats up
twistedone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 09:26 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

I've done it on my truck, and the there was improvement, but it wasn't life changing. I'd agree that tires make more difference if you're trying to decide where to spend your money. Also, put your own kit together. The CRKC kit comes with a bunch of stuff that isn't as good quality as the links and spacers put out by Axial. As someone else mentioned, it also ends up costing you more.
Mortimer Snerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 10:21 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

The stage 2 Mod from CKRC is a good setup for a AX-10.
it eliminates 99% of torque twist, and really free's up the suspension.
The down side is because the front end gets so soft and articulates soooo much that you will need to fine tune it to your driving style if your more of a hammer down on the throttle type driver.

If your gonna go with it I would highly recommend also getting some very good shocks to control/adjust it and moving as much of your weight up to the front axle as you can.
jfraymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 02:43 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfraymond View Post
The stage 2 Mod from CKRC is a good setup for a AX-10.
it eliminates 99% of torque twist, and really free's up the suspension.
The down side is because the front end gets so soft and articulates soooo much that you will need to fine tune it to your driving style if your more of a hammer down on the throttle type driver.

If your gonna go with it I would highly recommend also getting some very good shocks to control/adjust it and moving as much of your weight up to the front axle as you can.
when you say, ''getting good shocks'' do you suggest any ?
Thanks
Daddydancool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 02:55 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

A little pimping "Losi Rock Crawler Shock Set"
juststartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 03:15 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Just any good quality threaded shock.
I currently have CKRC's shocks on the truck.
But have some of the losi's in the above link to switch to and try out.
Using the same components the big guys use never hurts, they arent gonna use anything that is a POS.
jfraymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 05:36 PM   #19

the stage 2 made mine work alot better. some screws and tubing is whole cheaper than a new chassis.
smallcrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 05:50 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

the fact of the matter is that if you take two stock rigs and perform the stage 2 to one of them, that rig will out crawl the other. rcracer3905 never asked if its the best upgrade per dollar. the difference is more flex and better cog. if you try to deny that, then youre full of $h!t
mtnyote is offline   Reply With Quote