Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion
Loading

Notices

Thread: New Comp Build.......SWX......New Production Pics!!

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2008, 12:34 PM   #61
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 960
Default

21 hrs 30 minutes till the comp Brad!! Like Sparky said, Get wrenchin!! Lookin good, you will be happy once it is dialed in!!!
THnCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2008, 12:38 PM   #62
2006 2.2 National Champ
 
BENDER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Big Bear Lake
Posts: 8,328
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by THnCS View Post
21 hrs 30 minutes till the comp Brad!! Like Sparky said, Get wrenchin!! Lookin good, you will be happy once it is dialed in!!!
Thanks.

I don't think it'll be ready for tomorrow's comp. You guys will have to face the TLT once last time.
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 12:57 PM   #63
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Taylors Falls just hanging with the MNRCRC crew.
Posts: 7,839
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENDER View Post
Thanks.

I don't think it'll be ready for tomorrow's comp. You guys will have to face the TLT once last time.
That will be the end of a very successful relatrionship.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 08:05 PM   #64
2006 2.2 National Champ
 
BENDER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Big Bear Lake
Posts: 8,328
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post
That will be the end of a very successful relatrionship.
No complaints here, it was a pretty good run.

I got the stock tie rod made up, and installed for now. I may make custom steering links for it at some point. I finished putting the wheels and tires together. Overall width with the MSD Top Gun wheels is about 10". I also installed TCS's aftermarket AX10 servo/link mounts. I won them in the raffle at the Colorado summer series finals.
Attached Images
      
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 12:15 AM   #65
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Corbin KY
Posts: 392
Default

looks good. im sorry for all the questions but are you going to run the tranny reversed or regular. also, thanks for taking the time to anwser all of the questions.
juststartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 12:17 AM   #66
2006 2.2 National Champ
 
BENDER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Big Bear Lake
Posts: 8,328
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by juststartin View Post
looks good. im sorry for all the questions but are you going to run the tranny reversed or regular. also, thanks for taking the time to anwser all of the questions.
I'll probably be spinning the tranny at some point, per the VF dig instructions.
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 12:33 AM   #67
Pebble Pounder
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Wellington
Posts: 148
Default

You still gonna run the same foam setup as the TLT, I think it was kreepy reds in front and stock losi foam in the rear???
Roadbiker3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 12:36 AM   #68
2006 2.2 National Champ
 
BENDER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Big Bear Lake
Posts: 8,328
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadbiker3 View Post
You still gonna run the same foam setup as the TLT, I think it was kreepy reds in front and stock losi foam in the rear???
That is the set-up I used, it's worked great for me in the past.
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 12:39 AM   #69
Pebble Pounder
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Wellington
Posts: 148
Default

Tomorrow will be the last comp for the WK axles switching to Axials as well, I figure if you did it must be the right thing to do, hehe. I also need to get that dig setup without it I am sure I will be SOL. Wish I could get it before tomorrow but oh well it will still be fun!
Roadbiker3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 01:00 PM   #70
2006 2.2 National Champ
 
BENDER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Big Bear Lake
Posts: 8,328
Default

I decided to stick the stock upper links on and bolt the axles up to my current SW3 chassis. I added one of the short anodized standoffs for the stock chassis braces to the upper front and rear 3 link at the axle, to get a little extra length. I also added an M3 flat washer and some nitro fuel line to the upper links. I do this to remove the tiny bit of slop that can be felt at the axle mount. I found some longer flat head M3 screws in the kit to make up for the extra length added by the spacers.
Attached Images
    
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 01:04 PM   #71
2006 2.2 National Champ
 
BENDER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Big Bear Lake
Posts: 8,328
Default

Wheelbase is just a shade under 12 1/2", belly clearance is about 2 1/2" max right now. I may raise the ride height a little more, but I'm in the ball park of where I want to be. A few body off shots.
Attached Images
    
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 01:08 PM   #72
2006 2.2 National Champ
 
BENDER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Big Bear Lake
Posts: 8,328
Default

A few shots with my latest Grappler mounted up.. I'll paint a new one for this build, as I mentioned earlier.
Attached Images
     
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 01:35 PM   #73
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: I live in my own world,they know me here
Posts: 402
Default

Can't wait to see your battery choice and where you put them.I just finished getting a 10 cell saddle pack on my girls rig and its way tight on that axle.
red jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 02:08 PM   #74
Rock Crawler
 
STEW<CO>'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Man Cave!
Posts: 892
Default

Hmm, very interesting kemosabe. Looks like another winner from the Bender factory of precision.

Can't wait to see your rig in action brother, keep up the great work.
STEW<CO> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 03:11 PM   #75
Pebble Pounder
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: longmont
Posts: 155
Default

Looks great Brad as usual.Looking forward to seeing it in person.
sloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 03:16 PM   #76
2006 2.2 National Champ
 
BENDER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Big Bear Lake
Posts: 8,328
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by red jim View Post
Can't wait to see your battery choice and where you put them.I just finished getting a 10 cell saddle pack on my girls rig and its way tight on that axle.
I'm probably going to jump to 8 cell 2/3A packs, and mount them on the front axle. I've been messing around with steering servo placement. Here's a few pics of what I came up with. Now, I'll probably mod the stock servo plates using this mock up mount as a template.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEW View Post
Hmm, very interesting kemosabe. Looks like another winner from the Bender factory of precision.

Can't wait to see your rig in action brother, keep up the great work.
Thanks boss.

Here's a few pics of where the steering servo will sit. Battery will probably sit on the opposite side. The tires just clear the servo and mount. And the servo fits up against the hood of my body nicely. I also left myself room around the lower shock mounts. So, I can stand the shocks up more if needed without them hitting the servo.
Attached Images
      
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 03:17 PM   #77
2006 2.2 National Champ
 
BENDER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Big Bear Lake
Posts: 8,328
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloth View Post
Looks great Brad as usual.Looking forward to seeing it in person.
Thanks, I'm anxious to get some testing in.
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 03:33 PM   #78
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: In a false state of reality
Posts: 4
Default

Brad, Impressive build thread very detailed. Nice

Lockers look sweet, and the slipper could be the key to keeping the rig running. The Axial hex drivers are cool, but which way to I turn them is it righty tighty or lefty losey. I alway get that confused.

I am bored and have nothing better to do today so I though I would expand on what you were explaining on the slipper.

For those of use who dont have the HD axles, lockers ect., or anyone wondering why you would need a slipper in a crawler. If I state the obvious sorry once again I am bored.

Slipper clutch allows you to fine tune your drive train. The limiting factor is the drive train its self, what amount of force can the axle, locker, gears and half shafts handle with out failure. If your running high powered batteries and quality electronics you can exceed the limits of the drivetrain very easily. In racing we use the slipper to gain traction on various surfaces, but in crawling its used to save your equipment.
If you are bound up, and apply to much throttle thats parts fail. A properly adjusted slipper allows you to utilize the throttle with out drive train failure.. If your shafts are alway poping off when your bound up, set the slipper to slip just before you pop the shaft.

This Bender guy knows what he's doing folks.

Thats my 2 cents
ACrawler2NV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 04:02 PM   #79
2006 2.2 National Champ
 
BENDER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Big Bear Lake
Posts: 8,328
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACrawler2NV View Post
Brad, Impressive build thread very detailed. Nice

Lockers look sweet, and the slipper could be the key to keeping the rig running. The Axial hex drivers are cool, but which way to I turn them is it righty tighty or lefty losey. I alway get that confused.

I am bored and have nothing better to do today so I though I would expand on what you were explaining on the slipper.

For those of use who dont have the HD axles, lockers ect., or anyone wondering why you would need a slipper in a crawler. If I state the obvious sorry once again I am bored.

Slipper clutch allows you to fine tune your drive train. The limiting factor is the drive train its self, what amount of force can the axle, locker, gears and half shafts handle with out failure. If your running high powered batteries and quality electronics you can exceed the limits of the drivetrain very easily. In racing we use the slipper to gain traction on various surfaces, but in crawling its used to save your equipment.
If you are bound up, and apply to much throttle thats parts fail. A properly adjusted slipper allows you to utilize the throttle with out drive train failure.. If your shafts are alway poping off when your bound up, set the slipper to slip just before you pop the shaft.

This Bender guy knows what he's doing folks.

Thats my 2 cents

Thanks for the compliments Ben, and for explaining the benefits of a slipper clutch in more detail.
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 04:36 PM   #80
NIK
Pebble Pounder
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: uk
Posts: 175
Default

this is how i mounted my servo-



plenty room for a 2 cell lipo
NIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2004-2014 RCCrawler.com