Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: New Comp Build.......SWX......New Production Pics!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2008, 04:09 PM   #81
[HOONIGAN]

Looking good Brad, I'm liking the servo mounted right there. It's nice and low so it can clear the body with out having to cut a huge hole in the hood. I might have to steal your idea.
Wrecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2008, 05:00 PM   #82
Quarry Creeper

Looks great.

I'm curious. Why did you choose to mount the servo in that location? I understand that you'll create almost an optimum drag link angle. But, now the batteries are going to sit slightly higher than they would if they were mounted on both sides of a servo that was in its stock location.
kawika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 05:11 PM   #83
RCC Addict

X2 I was wondering the same thing. Even with the servo mount that you can get from axial, depending on what tire you run or wheel, they rub on the servo. Also it shortens your drag link angle and puts more stress on the servo.
JUSTGOINGSLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 05:36 PM   #84
Rock Crawler

Lookin Good, get out and scratch those shiny MSD's. The glare is blinding me!! I have my servo on the same side and straight up and down. I have enough room to get a 9cell 2/3 pack on there too. But like Wrecker said, I have the hole in my body for clearence. I have been thinking of redoing it, but the rig has been performing pretty good lately!!! Like the old saying "If it ain't broke" CAn't wait to see it in action What the hell am I saying, I really do not want to see it at a comp. Don't you have to work on Sundays now!!!:-P
THnCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 05:37 PM   #85
RCC Addict

Damn that is a nice looking rig. Serious experience points allow you to know just how to build these right. I can only wait to be like this someday!
O.C.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 05:39 PM   #86
CSR
RCC Addict

Y'all are underestimating young Bradley-san's resoursefulness! I see plenty of room on that axle for 8 little 2/3A cells! There's room for two on top of the diff.
CSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 06:20 PM   #87
I wanna be Dave

You always are so willing to share your set ups. It has been something that has helped so many of us to build and preform better. Because of your body off, set up sharing philosophy I for one will be rolling a Bender chassis. Thanks
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 06:33 PM   #88
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post
You always are so willing to share your set ups.
Something I have always felt about the better guys in crawling in general.

Nitro sedan was such a pain in the ass and the racers were such weenies.
FrankyRizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 06:49 PM   #89
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankyRizzo View Post

Mr. Rizzo, Sir you are right on, and that is why this hobby excels from all the rest. I raced offroad for many years and at the end that was the biggest problem that everything was " TOP SECRET " and there where to many want-e-be's.

Sorry Brad I'll get back on task.
JUSTGOINGSLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 06:56 PM   #90
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUSTGOINGSLOW View Post
Mr. Rizzo, Sir you are right on, and that is why this hobby excels from all the rest. I raced offroad for many years and at the end that was the biggest problem that everything was " TOP SECRET " and there where to many want-e-be's
The amount of help here is awesome. At comps the comrodery (sp?) is huge. I think it is way cool how 5 guys will scramble to find a part to help a fellow competitor.

Sorry Brad about the derail.

You are a great guy also and nice build.
FrankyRizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 07:08 PM   #91
RCC Addict

Looks good buddy. Nice to see you on the mountain yesterday.
It was a good day to play.
skid plate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 07:20 PM   #92
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

Very true Franky, everybody is incredible on RCC and many are setting a excellent example. But not many Champions in any form of RC I've been involved in ever gave body off shots and has been explicit about his own set up like Bender.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 03:24 AM   #93
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIK View Post
this is how i mounted my servo-

plenty room for a 2 cell lipo
Looks good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecker View Post
Looking good Brad, I'm liking the servo mounted right there. It's nice and low so it can clear the body with out having to cut a huge hole in the hood. I might have to steal your idea.
Thanks, I've been thinking about this servo mount for a while now. Looks like everything will work out fine. I thought I was going to have issues with the servo hitting the shock, but there is plenty of room. If the tire hits the servo mount after I mod the outer axles for a little extra steering, I'll probably adapt a pair of RCP CVD wideners. That's what we did to Sparky's rig to get the tires out of his battery while turning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawika View Post
Looks great.

I'm curious. Why did you choose to mount the servo in that location? I understand that you'll create almost an optimum drag link angle. But, now the batteries are going to sit slightly higher than they would if they were mounted on both sides of a servo that was in its stock location.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JUSTGOINGSLOW View Post
X2 I was wondering the same thing. Even with the servo mount that you can get from axial, depending on what tire you run or wheel, they rub on the servo. Also it shortens your drag link angle and puts more stress on the servo.
It won't shorten the drag link, I'm going to run a long one to the passenger side.

There are a few reasons I mounted the servo there.
1. It sits lower then stock
2. It allows me to mount the body lower, with less trimming.
3. It lets me run a single 8 cell pack, and lay the cells along the axle housing in one shrink wrapped package. Instead of the split 6 cell pack I came up with before nats.
4. Better drag link angle.
5. A little lower CG in general, which helps in every situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by THnCS View Post
Lookin Good, get out and scratch those shiny MSD's. The glare is blinding me!! I have my servo on the same side and straight up and down. I have enough room to get a 9cell 2/3 pack on there too. But like Wrecker said, I have the hole in my body for clearence. I have been thinking of redoing it, but the rig has been performing pretty good lately!!! Like the old saying "If it ain't broke" CAn't wait to see it in action What the hell am I saying, I really do not want to see it at a comp. Don't you have to work on Sundays now!!!:-P
Thanks, she'll be all scratched up soon enough.

No Sundays at work for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc J33P View Post
Damn that is a nice looking rig. Serious experience points allow you to know just how to build these right. I can only wait to be like this someday!
Thanks. In order for me to really check servo placement, I had to mock everything up......i.e. bolt up the chassis, shocks, wheels and tires, get ride height in the area you need it, etc. It takes more time to build rigs like this, but it's the best way to get a proper fit and finish. Before I even start to mock/modify anything on my rigs, I try to visualize how it's going to affect everything else. You always think you can make a mod/repair in no time, but it almost always affects something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSR View Post
Y'all are underestimating young Bradley-san's resoursefulness! I see plenty of room on that axle for 8 little 2/3A cells! There's room for two on top of the diff.
Thanks Mr. Miyagi.

I'm thinking 3 cells on the actual axle tube, and 5 on top of that. But, I need to get in there and take some more measurements first.

Quote:
You always are so willing to share your set ups. It has been something that has helped so many of us to build and preform better. Because of your body off, set up sharing philosophy I for one will be rolling a Bender chassis. Thanks
Thanks Norm. I think that sharing info is a critical part of this hobby, and it's growing popularity. I don't want to see this sport turn cut throat. I don't mind sharing info with people. Even after I help them, they still need to pick the right lines and execute them to beat me.

Quote:
The amount of help here is awesome. At comps the comrodery (sp?) is huge. I think it is way cool how 5 guys will scramble to find a part to help a fellow competitor.

You are a great guy also and nice build.
Thanks, and I agree 100%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skid plate View Post
Looks good buddy. Nice to see you on the mountain yesterday.
It was a good day to play.
Good to see you too. Crawling at Flatirons always makes for a good day.

Quote:
Very true Franky, everybody is incredible on RCC and many are setting a excellent example. But not many Champions in any form of RC I've been involved in ever gave body off shots and has been explicit about his own set up like Bender.
Thanks again Norm.

This site was started so we could share info, and progress the sport. And it seems to be working.

Maybe this crawling thing isn't a fad after all.
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 08:54 AM   #94
Quarry Creeper

Brad the build looks great man... I did this same build late last season, with a few different odds and ends... by the way love the chassis... I noticed your running your shocks and bottom links in the same position as i was at first, I found that the bottom links tend to knock the spring retainers off in certain situations.... I resolved it by turning my shocks upside down (knowing this isnt the best thing for the shocks) I'm using the losi shocks now to...

here is my build thread
http://www.gsrcrc.com/showthread.php?t=709

Last edited by HauntFreaks.com; 03-18-2008 at 08:56 AM. Reason: spelling
HauntFreaks.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 11:21 AM   #95
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by HauntFreaks.com View Post
Brad the build looks great man... I did this same build late last season, with a few different odds and ends... by the way love the chassis... I noticed your running your shocks and bottom links in the same position as i was at first, I found that the bottom links tend to knock the spring retainers off in certain situations.... I resolved it by turning my shocks upside down (knowing this isnt the best thing for the shocks) I'm using the losi shocks now to...

here is my build thread
http://www.gsrcrc.com/showthread.php?t=709
Thanks. I started out with the lower links on the outside and shocks on the inside. I noticed the links hitting the spring cups too. So, I flipped them around and now the spring cup just clears the lower link.

I tried to check out your build, but I'm not a member, so I can't see it.
Old 03-18-2008, 12:02 PM   #96
Quarry Creeper

damn forgot you had to be a member to see those pages... ok here ya go i thru it up on another server.....

ax10/sw3 build link
HauntFreaks.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 01:20 PM   #97
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by HauntFreaks.com View Post
damn forgot you had to be a member to see those pages... ok here ya go i thru it up on another server.....

ax10/sw3 build link
Nice looking build, I like the custom steel tranny outputs.
Old 03-18-2008, 05:21 PM   #98
Keep it real

Truck looks sweet Brad, always paying attention to the little details Looking forward to your new paint scheme, they always flow so nicely.
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 05:53 PM   #99
I wanna be Dave

looks good Brad , I might have to build a S-DUB TREE Scorpiion myself . hmmmmmm
Badd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 03:10 AM   #100
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanis View Post
Truck looks sweet Brad, always paying attention to the little details Looking forward to your new paint scheme, they always flow so nicely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badd View Post
looks good Brad , I might have to build a S-DUB TREE Scorpiion myself . hmmmmmm
Thanks guys.

I recieved a little care package from RCP today, aluminum C's and high clearance knuckles.

Here's a pic of the new goods beside the stock equipment. Install was a piece of cake. Drop the bearings into the aluminum knuckles, install king pin bushings, then slide outer axle into place. Install the clockable axle C's, then the knuckle assembly. I used standard cap screws on top to secure the knuckles to the C's, and button heads on the bottom. You can see there is plenty of room for more steering.
Attached Images