Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: New Comp Build.......SWX......New Production Pics!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2008, 03:32 AM   #101
2006 2.2 National Champ

After installing the front wheels I noticed some drag in the front axle when I'd spin the tires. Then, I noticed the HC knuckle's arms were rubbing the inner rings on my beadlocks. I could take a dremel to the inner rings, and probably fix the problem fairly easy. But, I want a little more width out front. So, I added the small wideners that come with the RCP TLT CVD's. They add a 1/4" a side, or 1/2" total to your overall width. Once you do that though, the outer axle's threads barely stick out of the wheel. I used a pair of old barrel nuts from another set of wideners to fix this problem. I used a small metal spacer that I got from kris to take up the extra slack of the barrel nuts being too long. Thanks for the idea kris. I also had to drill the center holes in my front wheels out to a 1/4", to clear the larger diameter barrel nuts. After making these few mods everything clears with ease. The knuckles clear the inner beadlock rings now, and the tire also clears the steering servo better.

It sits at 10 1/2" wide out front now. I may trim a little off the wideners to narrow the overall width a hair more. I want to do some real world testing before I cut anything though.
Attached Images

BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2008, 05:51 AM   #102
Quarry Creeper

wow thats a realy tight fit. Everything is looking good and coming together nicley.
juststartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 09:51 AM   #103
Quarry Creeper

Brad with the wideners it looks to be zero back offset now?? if so with this wider track width, how much will this reduce your steering?... looks like it would be getting as wide as a wheely king axle and the steering was always the problem with them... your thoughts?
HauntFreaks.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 09:59 AM   #104
Quarry Creeper

i had the same problem with the rcp knuckles. few minutes with the dremel and its perfect. your solution works great too!
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 11:55 AM   #105
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by juststartin View Post
wow thats a realy tight fit. Everything is looking good and coming together nicley.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HauntFreaks.com View Post
Brad with the wideners it looks to be zero back offset now?? if so with this wider track width, how much will this reduce your steering?... looks like it would be getting as wide as a wheely king axle and the steering was always the problem with them... your thoughts?
I used to run my TLT with a 10 1/2" width out front and 10" in the rear. That's where I'm sitting now with this build, so it's not really that wide. Plus, once I modify the outer axles for more steering, I'll need that little bit of extra width so the tires and wheels clear the front steering servo, shock, and links.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
i had the same problem with the rcp knuckles. few minutes with the dremel and its perfect. your solution works great too!
If I find the width now is too much, I'll probably do the same to mine.
Old 03-19-2008, 01:47 PM   #106
I wanna be Dave

Are going to clearance the stub shafts just like you would on the TLT axles? 1/16" off the cup and rebevel the inside? i was wondering this the other night, but it seemed like the stub shaft was bottoming out on the shaft itself, not the cup, but it is difficult to see in there when everything is turned at full lock. Hope that makes some sense.
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 02:19 PM   #107
Like a boss...

Man, I really appreciate seeing this build thread. I have a box of parts sitting out in the garage for my ax10 build and I was planning on using the RCP knuckles and the MSD wheels. Got the knuckles, waiting for my wheels to ship....I would have ran into the same issue.

Are you guys planning on dremel-ing away part of the knuckles or the beadlock ring? Since I don't have the wheels in hand it looks like there is not much material there on those rings....

-Mike
mann0mann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 02:40 PM   #108
Quarry Creeper

certainly shave the knuckles. much easier to do a nice clean job on.
Old 03-19-2008, 03:02 PM   #109
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
Are going to clearance the stub shafts just like you would on the TLT axles? 1/16" off the cup and rebevel the inside? i was wondering this the other night, but it seemed like the stub shaft was bottoming out on the shaft itself, not the cup, but it is difficult to see in there when everything is turned at full lock. Hope that makes some sense.
That is how I plan to mod the outer axles. You can grind the length of the drive cups back, then use a lathe or dremel to chamfer the inside when finished. The dogbones will hang out of the drive cups a little while turning, but it's not a problem usually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mann0mann View Post
Man, I really appreciate seeing this build thread. I have a box of parts sitting out in the garage for my ax10 build and I was planning on using the RCP knuckles and the MSD wheels. Got the knuckles, waiting for my wheels to ship....I would have ran into the same issue.

Are you guys planning on dremel-ing away part of the knuckles or the beadlock ring? Since I don't have the wheels in hand it looks like there is not much material there on those rings....

-Mike
Quote:
certainly shave the knuckles. much easier to do a nice clean job on.
Just to keep the knuckles at full strength, I'd chamfer the backside of the rings to solve the clearance issue.

You got any pics of your knuckles kurt?
Old 03-19-2008, 03:13 PM   #110
Quarry Creeper

best i can do on such short notice. the ol blackberry pearl doesn't take the best pictures.

Old 03-19-2008, 03:17 PM   #111
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
best i can do on such short notice. the ol blackberry pearl doesn't take the best pictures.
Thanks, that works. Looks like it didn't take much to get them to clear the wheels.
Old 03-19-2008, 03:45 PM   #112
Quarry Creeper

not much at all. i am running the proline 8 shooters and they just barely rubbed the edge. (looked the same as yours) The strength compromised is negligible.
Old 03-19-2008, 04:08 PM   #113
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
not much at all. i am running the proline 8 shooters and they just barely rubbed the edge. (looked the same as yours) The strength compromised is negligible.
Yup. I was running the prolines and I ground the knuckles to accept them. I have since gone to the MSD wheels but left the clearanced knuckles on. Even ground down our knuckles are way stronger than stock.
Rockpiledriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 01:34 AM   #114

nice build
blacktoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 02:23 AM   #115
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockpiledriver View Post
Yup. I was running the prolines and I ground the knuckles to accept them. I have since gone to the MSD wheels but left the clearanced knuckles on. Even ground down our knuckles are way stronger than stock.
Good point, aluminum knuckles beat plastic anyday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktoy View Post
nice build
Thanks.
Old 03-20-2008, 02:31 AM   #116
R.I.P. Chip

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktoy View Post
nice build
Quote:
Originally Posted by BENDER View Post
Thanks.
It'll never work.
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 03:50 AM   #117
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason View Post
It'll never work.
Don't hate.

I managed to get a second steering servo plate made up. I had to move the servo up a little from the previous spot so the tie rod would clear a servo horn. I mounted it on an angle this time. I just need to drill another hole or two and tie it to the axle tube now. I also hacked up one of the stock AX10 servo mounts for the rear axle, to clean it up a little. Someone else may come in here and claim to be the first to make this mod. Don't believe him!!
Attached Images

Old 03-20-2008, 04:24 AM   #118
Rock Stacker

Cool

I see another cool a#$ you tube video from you in the near future,cuse you sure do know how to shootem'Great build Bender,Top Notch as usual!!!!!!!!!!
ax10crawler426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 09:40 AM   #119
Rock Crawler

Who Put you down!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason View Post
It'll never work.
Jason is hatin because he keeps breaking stuff.:-P Hey Bender, Which kind of MSD's are you running? I have the normal offset and have had no clearance issues, You running the narrower Axial offset? Your black spring on the left rear, is that a stampede spring?
THnCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 09:58 AM   #120
R.I.P. Chip

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENDER View Post
I also hacked up one of the stock AX10 servo mounts for the rear axle, to clean it up a little. Someone else may come in here and claim to be the first to make this mod. Don't believe him!!
Haha, copy cat! Now you just need to add some speed holes to it;)
jason is offline   Reply With Quote