Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Mirror Imaged Transmission

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2008, 04:10 AM   #81
RCC Addict

Question for you, if I wanted to add a DNA dig setup will it work in this configuration or will I have to turn the motor and transmission around?

Last edited by abadk9420; 12-20-2008 at 04:24 AM.
abadk9420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2008, 09:56 PM   #82
MODERATOR™

For the DNA dig unit to work, you need to have a stock transmission.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 10:37 PM   #83
Custom Carbon Fiber

if your looking to keep the mirrored tranny and install a DIG unit you can do this with one modification to the CKRC unit.

if you look in my CDW build for my 2.2 comp rig there are pictures showing what I did to accomplish this.

DNA DIG is a great unit but I prefer the mirror tranny and have been very pleased with the CKRC unit attached to it.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 08:22 PM   #84

Alphadog
Same as others have done. If Im reading picture correct, front of rig is to the left in pic, (Unless youve got rear steer) Youve got motor & tranny in 180 backwards. Spur gear should be in back...puts the motor on right (passenger) side of rig

Are those snow chains???
Mark
AnEv942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 03:57 PM   #85
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
For the DNA dig unit to work, you need to have a stock transmission.
that is what i thought in theory. But, there is no way to make it work, maybe changing the functions for the tx? I am using dx3r?

Do you think of any other possible way for it to work?

thanks for your help!
5150bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 03:58 PM   #86
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
if your looking to keep the mirrored tranny and install a DIG unit you can do this with one modification to the CKRC unit.

if you look in my CDW build for my 2.2 comp rig there are pictures showing what I did to accomplish this.

DNA DIG is a great unit but I prefer the mirror tranny and have been very pleased with the CKRC unit attached to it.
does this only apply to ckrc? or just your experience?

Can the same mod that you have done be done with dna dig?

thanks!
Old 12-25-2008, 07:52 AM   #87
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5150bronco View Post
does this only apply to ckrc? or just your experience?

Can the same mod that you have done be done with dna dig?

thanks!

nope, two totally different units. the DNA is a machined case that cant be flipped
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 03:15 PM   #88
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
nope, two totally different units. the DNA is a machined case that cant be flipped
Ah, Really. So, that is just the way dna made the dig than.

Well, I am not even sure if putting the motor to front and on pass side even really made that much of a diff.

I wonder if you can make a case that is flipped?

well, thanks for the input.
Old 02-05-2009, 02:01 PM   #89
Pebble Pounder

i tried the hot racing dig and it works, the only thing is you have to flip the transmission bolts and invert everything
BEN214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 02:40 PM   #90
Rock Stacker

will be doing this to my new rig as soon as it gets here
T-Dubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 10:42 PM   #91

Gromitt327 is right. With the vf dig you have to flip the tranny so the motor is on the right side.you could reverse the skid though so the spur is in the back and dig and motor is up front.
jaymojaims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 09:16 PM   #92

I tried the mirror tranny and ended up with torque twist. I am running a Novak Goat setup and it gave me a lot of torque twist. Before I tried this, I had turned the tranny plate around so the gear is facing the front of the rig. That got rid of almost all the torque twist but I thought I would try this. It made it like it was before I turned the gears to the front. I changed it all back and now it works like it did before which was great. I am not sure but I know this motor has a lot of torque and when it spins the way it is set up to spin in normal rotation, it helps raise the right front wheel off the ground. By turning the tranny around, I have to reverse the motor rotation at the speed control and it torques the chassis the opposite way down to the ground instead of trying to lift it up. This may not work for anyone else because of the way my chassis is set up but it does work for me. The mirror tranny idea is a great idea and I am sure it works for a lot of people. Just thought I would throw in my two cents worth.
crawldad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 08:10 AM   #93
Rock Crawler

I just saw this thread. You just made my weekend Ep Now the bigass spur will be up under the dash 8-)
Gimbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 01:36 PM   #94
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimbal View Post
You just made my weekend Ep
From out of the shadows, look who it is!

EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 12:28 AM   #95

Well i did the mirror trans mod tonight it took 15mins or so the big sprocket stayed to the rear and the motor is now on the passenger side.
it made it so my passenger side tire stays on the ground when i launch it now, when before it would lift about two inches but would
drop quickly. Before that i did the four link over under on the rear only the passenger wheel would stay up for a bunch longer so that helped first.
So the combo of both really has helped me out. My lower and upper links are quite parallel to the ground. with exception to the passenger side
upper rear which is on a slight incline towards the trans plate on account of it being bolted under the 4 link plate.

I figure the weight of the motor and the fact that the drive shaft is is now on the drivers side made the biggest difference.
think of the torque as a ratchet, before the ratchet had a long handle, easy to torque on stuff. Now with the drive shafts on the other
side it seams like a short handle ratchet, harder to turn to get the same amount of torque. Inch/pounds. makes sense to me.

I have internal springs all the same size at "1.5/16th under the piston and nun above. I have over 1/2 droop that is now my rebound.

Not finished yet still have the battery on top that will move when i can get the Behind the axle set up from Axial.

All in all i found the Trany mod worked for me to really help keep my front planted under heavy throttle.

Thanks allot EeePee

This stuff is fun

Mike
Rubiconmike1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 10:35 AM   #96
Rock Stacker

Did the mirror trans mod too,,,thanks for the tip,,,works a bit better now. Definetly does not raise the front left wheel nearly as much when you peg the throttle from a dead stop.
Twisted Links is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 10:46 AM   #97
Rock Stacker

Now does the trans have a bearing on both ends of the the spur gear shaft ? When I took mine apart "ARTR" to do this it had the alum spacer and a plastic spacer/bushing....

Been thinking I did something wrong or misplaced it !
orange-appeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 10:49 AM   #98
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange-appeal View Post
Now does the trans have a bearing on both ends of the the spur gear shaft ? When I took mine apart "ARTR" to do this it had the alum spacer and a plastic spacer/bushing....

Been thinking I did something wrong or misplaced it !
Yes, in the trans,, u have to open it up and make the output shaft go in the opposite direction. Then just move the plug to the other side.
Twisted Links is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 10:50 AM   #99

i have tried both the mirror image tranny and turning my tranny around 180 degrees where the spur gear faces the front of the truck. for me turning the tranny around worked tons better than the mirror image. i have to get in a real bind to get the tire to lift off the ground and it settles much quicker when climbing over rocks. im not saying its the best way but it worked very well for me. another thing that worked good for me was to locate the battery over the front axle which im sure most are doing. i think the way you have the rest of the vehicle set up is what makes changes either work very good or not work at all. just keep trying and you will find the best setup for you and your vehicle.
crawldad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 10:55 AM   #100
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Links View Post
Yes, in the trans,, u have to open it up and make the output shaft go in the opposite direction. Then just move the plug to the other side.
No........ I've done the mod........ but I didnt have a bearing on the end of the shaft the spur gear mounts on... it was just a plastic bushing...

Is this right or not ? And if not WTF ?
orange-appeal is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-ax-10-scorpion/110323-mirror-imaged-transmission.html
Posted By For Type Date
Scx10 Tr - THE SCALE BUILDER'S GUILD - Presented by JOWETT'S KUSTOM RC This thread Refback 10-04-2011 07:30 PM