Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Mirror Imaged Transmission

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2008, 08:46 PM   #1
MODERATOR™

Default Mirror Imaged Transmission

Here ya go, easy. Built the transmission a mirror image and now I've got the heavy ass motor on the side that needs it, and still up front.

Ta da!

Attached Images

Last edited by EeePee; 03-13-2008 at 08:50 PM.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2008, 08:51 PM   #2
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

So everything just swaps to the other side?
Offroader5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 08:55 PM   #3
MODERATOR™

Yeah, totally. Just pop out the little round plastic cover on the one side and flip it all over to the other side. I didn't even have to swap the motor wires.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:07 PM   #4
MODERATOR™

Oh, and flip the skidplate around too.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:08 PM   #5
RCC Addict

I have actually built a few incorrectly like that and not noticed untill i went to install. kind of a cool option from axial, intentional or not.

p!nK
mrpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 10:22 PM   #6
Moderator Rule Breaker

eeepee hows the fx and puller motor working out ? It's the 10t right ?
eric113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 11:20 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I bought a trany that was already built and was looking at it and wondering if that was a plug that could just pop out or not, well now I know.
LIKES2CRAWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 01:46 PM   #8
RCC Addict

That is cool, I wouldnt even have known... I dont see why it matters though, but you have weight issues. I seem to find it hard to transfer weight properly and most the time make it worse

How are you measure where weight needs to be? method or just by driving it you guess where it needs more or less?

Does it matter which wire is on what terminal? the motor doesnt have a set forward or backwards, right?
Jeepernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 02:25 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Dam that's what I need to do Eee Pee thanks, like duh it was hiding in plain site.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 03:18 PM   #10
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric113 View Post
eeepee hows the fx and puller motor working out ? It's the 10t right ?
I haven't used the combo a whole lot yet. Between the 20 inches of snow and now rain, I can't get it outside. But playing around inside the two work super good. So smooth, really slow, really fast. Like... PERFECT! And yeah, it's the 10 turn Cobalt. Great motor JRH! And the Tekin FX-R is seriously the best brushed ESC ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepernick View Post
How are you measure where weight needs to be? method or just by driving it you guess where it needs more or less?

Does it matter which wire is on what terminal? the motor doesnt have a set forward or backwards, right?
In this case I'm putting the extra heft on the side that gets lifted due to the torque twist effect. Making it a little harder for the twist to lift that side of the chassis whenever that happens. Or conversely, I'm taking weight away from the side that gets shoved down because of the torque.

The motor does have a positive and negative, but because the timing is adjustable, it doesn't matter which way it spins. So happens I need to run it backwards, and therefore I adjusted the timing a little to get it to spin the same speed in both directions. Mine seemed a little faster one way than the other. Easy stuff, and it's all good now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post
Dam that's what I need to do Eee Pee thanks, like duh it was hiding in plain site.
The mods I've done to mine and posted about are pretty much all like that, right in front of your face, you just have to see it.

Old 03-14-2008, 05:26 PM   #11
Moderator Rule Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
I haven't used the combo a whole lot yet. Between the 20 inches of snow and now rain, I can't get it outside. But playing around inside the two work super good. So smooth, really slow, really fast. Like... PERFECT! And yeah, it's the 10 turn Cobalt. Great motor JRH! And the Tekin FX-R is seriously the best brushed ESC ever.

Sweet!! That the combo I was wondering about,if the fx can handle puller. I have a 10t sitting here and I really like to pick up a fx.
eric113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 05:33 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Very good logic hope it works for you,

Thanks for clearing up the motors stuff I have been wondering

is that the way all motors are? brushed and non?

I dont seem to find the right material to read,... maybe it is right in my manual

Im so noob, I need to read my manuals front to back to make sure I dont miss the little things... I mainly get passed the main setup and then just trail and error the rest

I might just try this along with my already added stiffer spring on that side of the rig

Jeepernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 05:54 PM   #13
RCC Addict

I guess you could do this or flip the tranny and reverse the motor polarity.... same difference right? one setup the motor torques one way the other setup it torques the opposite? am I right or out to lunch lol
PipeDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 01:09 PM   #14
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepernick View Post
is that the way all motors are? brushed and non?
Brushed motors may have fixed timing, and if it's not at zero, it won't work right. If the timing is adjustable, then you can make it spin either way. Brushless motors can spin either way, as there aren't brushes, there's nothing mechanical to change. The Castle Mamba series (or Sidewinder) can adjust the timing electronically via a setting in the ESC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PipeDreams View Post
I guess you could do this or flip the tranny and reverse the motor polarity.... same difference right? one setup the motor torques one way the other setup it torques the opposite? am I right or out to lunch lol
Well doing it my way keeps the motor in the front of the chassis, putting weight up front. Just flipping the tranny around would put the motor in the back. The driveshafts still have to spin the same direction, so the motor torque is still acting upon everything in the same way.

All I've done is moved the motor over to the side that can benefit from a little more weight, and away from the side that extra weight hurts. Exaggerate the weight and it might become a little more obvious how it will effect the chassis.

Old 03-15-2008, 06:36 PM   #15
Like a boss...

sorry to be a moron, but did you have to flip the polarity and adjust the timing on your motor to make this work?

post 3 says you didn't and then post 10 it makes it sound like you did? or were you just saying *if* you had to....

-Mike
mann0mann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 06:51 PM   #16
MODERATOR™

I didn't change anything with the motor to make this happen. Look at it like this... You know the E-Maxx tranny or TXT tranny and how they have two motor spots? ...I put my motor in the other spot. The spur gear doesn't move, as in it stays in the same spot, all I did was move the motor around to the other side of the spur gear.

That make sense?

And actually, I found my Cobalt Puller to spin faster in one direction than the other so, yes I did adjust the timing. And yes I needed to wire mine backwards, but that has nothing to do with what I did to the tranny. Before I did the mod I still had to wire it backwards and adjust the timing. So yes, *if* you need to.

Old 03-15-2008, 07:01 PM   #17
Like a boss...

thanks!
mann0mann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 07:59 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

I wonder if this would work with the VF dig? My brain is fried today and I can't picture it.
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 08:24 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
I wonder if this would work with the VF dig? My brain is fried today and I can't picture it.
The way I see it you are already flipping the tranny/skid around for the dig which puts the motor on the right side of the rig to weight for torque twist. But I don't think the spur can be on the same side as the dig unit so there is no reason to reverse the tranny like Eeepee described
grommit327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 08:39 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

wow i was just wondering if it could be done earlier. I guess I know now!! Thanks
GH Racing is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-ax-10-scorpion/110323-mirror-imaged-transmission.html
Posted By For Type Date
Scx10 Tr - THE SCALE BUILDER'S GUILD - Presented by JOWETT'S KUSTOM RC This thread Refback 10-04-2011 07:30 PM