Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: DCV/Pro - Project Colossus

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2008, 04:12 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default DCV/Pro - Project Colossus

Here is the start of project Colossus. The first thing I thought of after unwrapping this chassis was WOW, that thing is badass, and the shine and color reminded me of Colossus, you know, from X-Men. Anyway, it was a good week as I got my DCV/Pro in the mail, awesome work DMG!! This chassis is very well made and looks great. Also arriving this week were my Mayhem Double Phatty wheels, these are such nice wheels its crazy, I really like the engraving. Go VARCOR! I had most of the other stuff sitting in a box waiting for the chassis and wheels. I'm still waiting on some Pro-Line Hammer tires, guess I'll put the Claws on until then. I hope to start building soon. Enough talk, on to the specs and pics.

Specs:

Chassis: DMG DCV/Pro
Axles: AX10 w RCP Aluminum parts
Tranny: AX10 w VF Dig (coming)
Motor: Axiom 55T
ESC: CC Sidewinder or MM w CC BEC
RX/TX: DX3
Shocks: Losi Crawler
Servo: Hitec 5590 TG
Wheels: Mayhem Comp. Double Phatty
Tire: Pro-Line Hammer or Losi Rock Claws
Battery: Elite 1500 10cell split

Colossus
Attached Images

'04 Rubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2008, 04:33 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Man you got it going on. Definitly the grounds for a great tuber. What shocks are you planning on running. Those Mayhems are sick.

Those DMG chassis have to be the best looking tuber out there.
JUSTGOINGSLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 04:39 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

That is a sweet looking tuber, I love the wheels. I will be watching this build. I hope in a couple days to have my tuber in.
rckcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 06:09 PM   #4
RC Axle Master

The DMG chassis looks great, I should have my chassis in someime next week. What links are you going to run and are you going to a 3-link or 4-link setup?
LetsHandleit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 07:25 PM   #5
ghetto fabulous newbie

Looks like a awesome start
yotachump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 09:33 PM   #6
varcor.org

nice... moving up to the tuber i see... hmmm... going to have that for our next comp. i dig the wheels - varcor is a nice touch...
swell searcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 10:13 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUSTGOINGSLOW View Post
Man you got it going on. Definitly the grounds for a great tuber. What shocks are you planning on running. Those Mayhems are sick.
Those DMG chassis have to be the best looking tuber out there.
I'm running the Losi Crawler Shocks with white springs up front and yellow in the rear. http://www.shop.rpphobby.com/product...&productId=837

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckcrawler View Post
That is a sweet looking tuber, I love the wheels. I will be watching this build. I hope in a couple days to have my tuber in.
Thanks, the wheels are sweet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsHandleit View Post
The DMG chassis looks great, I should have my chassis in someime next week. What links are you going to run and are you going to a 3-link or 4-link setup?
Thanks. I'll be running 4 link using the RCP servo link mount - http://rcpcrawlers.com/product.php?p...&cat=29&page=1. I'm going to see how the AX10 uppers and bent links work first, and if I don't like it, I'll make some custom ones from Delrin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotachump View Post
Looks like a awesome start
Thanks. Just need to find time to build it now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swell searcher View Post
nice... moving up to the tuber i see... hmmm... going to have that for our next comp. i dig the wheels - varcor is a nice touch...
Not moving up. Just moving over. I'm still running the SW3 R2 WK, at least until this one proves itself better. I hope to have it built by the next comp, but I'm not sure it will be dialed in enough to compete.
Old 03-22-2008, 11:14 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Wow rub, that chassis is wicked looking. Where does one buy one of those? I'm very new to allthis and would appreciate the link to where you bought it. I also am excited to seethis build as you go along.
DanTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 11:42 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTaylor View Post
Wow rub, that chassis is wicked looking. Where does one buy one of those? I'm very new to allthis and would appreciate the link to where you bought it. I also am excited to seethis build as you go along.
Check out Death Metal Garage in the Vendor's Section.
KSCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 11:46 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSCrawler View Post
Check out Death Metal Garage in the Vendor's Section.
Doh! I dont know why i didnt think to look there first.....Thanks for the info sir.
DanTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 12:08 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

That looks like it's going to be an awesome build. I will look forward to following this.

Thanks Mayhem Eng.
Mayhem Eng. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 05:55 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

You'll need to wear sunglasses building that rig
Chargerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 06:22 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

...i love seeing all the parts laid out like that in their packages just makes you want to start a build doesnt it I am just loving this chassis...
BitHed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 03:23 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Do you think you could post a pic of how the lower links mount to the skid plate?

Lou
TK421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 09:40 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Default It's a Roller!!

Found some time to start on the build and now it's a roller. It went together fairly easily. Had to make some adjustments a bunch of times to get it feeling the way I like it. It seems to have good articulation with no binding. I'm liking these Losi Rock Crawler Shocks, so smooth and silky, I used 40 Wt Losi shock oil in all four.

I ended up using TCS bent lower links for the lowers and stock AX10 lower links for the uppers. I'll have to see how this setup runs to say how it works but it feels like it may do well. I decided to mount some M3 M2K's I had laying around (still waiting for Hammer). These beadlocks are awesome, so easy to mount the tires, and these bearings in theses wheels definitely make a difference. It's kind of funny listening to them roll around, wonder how loud they'll be when I'm actually driving it?

Here are the pics.

Colossus
Attached Images

Old 03-24-2008, 10:02 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

That thing looks frigging awsome!!! I can't wait to build mine. Thanks for posting the pics mate!

Lou
TK421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 10:26 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Why so tall. I built mine with a droop setup since the chasis is kind of bulky I wanted to keep the COG as low as I can for the rocks around here.
Like this:
Not trying to hijack your build thread.
winkscrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 10:46 PM   #18

with bent lowers & a 12'' wheel base I don't think it will need to be so tall. maybe run your shocks 1 hole up on the top mounts & adjust the preload?
rifleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 11:08 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkscrawler View Post
Why so tall. I built mine with a droop setup since the chasis is kind of bulky I wanted to keep the COG as low as I can for the rocks around here.
Droop is always an option, and I'll end up trying it. Just trying this first as it was quick and easy, it does need to be lowered some. I ran full droop on my SW3 and it just didn't do like I wanted on this terrain. I changed it to back to spring but only up front, and left the droop in the rear and it's better now. I'm starting out with full spring first, and I'll see where to go after taking it out a couple times. Let's just say it's part of my testing process. The balance is not bad as it sits at 7" tall, it can stand on its side, but it won't stay up more than 5 seconds.

So what size upper links did you end up using? Have you done much testing with that setup? Curious what you think of it. Your rig looks real nice, mine will be running soon.

Last edited by '04 Rubicon; 03-24-2008 at 11:54 PM.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:29 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by '04 Rubicon View Post
Droop is always an option, and I'll end up trying it. Just trying this first as it was quick and easy, it does need to be lowered some. I ran full droop on my SW3 and it just didn't do like I wanted on this terrain. I changed it to back to spring but only up front, and left the droop in the rear and it's better now. I'm starting out with full spring first, and I'll see where to go after taking it out a couple times. Let's just say it's part of my testing process. The balance is not bad as it sits at 7" tall, it can stand on its side, but it won't stay up more than 5 seconds.

So what size upper links did you end up using? Have you done much testing with that setup? Curious what you think of it. Your rig looks real nice, mine will be running soon.
I havent had much of a chance to test the setup as it is. So far it works well. I used stock AX-10 lower links for the uppers as well as the lowers but used bent lowers for the rear. I tried to limit the articulation so I have limited the amount of travel I get out of the shocks. The rear links are double triangulated. The front lowers are not triangulated but the front uppers are. I used to have all the links triangulated but I found when the front lowers were the right front would come off the ground more often then I liked in certain cituations.
winkscrawler is offline   Reply With Quote