Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Basic AX-10 to Edge Build Up.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2008, 06:55 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Basic AX-10 to Edge Build Up.

This is just a basic build up of my AX-10 from a Bug to an Edge with Droop. Only reason to post is to maybe give some of the other newbs a couple of ideas of mounting and shocks. Not too much of a tech thread.

Running:
Novak Rooster, Matrix 55t, HiTec HS645, Hot Racing Alum. shocks with TCS medium springs and spacer on the outside (you will see in pictures), 6 cell split pack from CheapBatteryPacks.com, four bent links, TCS aluminum four link mounts, Futaba T2PH controller and Futaba R152JE rec.

That's about it, waiting on my new VF Dig. Order about a week and a half ago, i've got a little bit of a wait.

How she used to look.

Going to give it a try with the stock 30wt for now.

Holy saggy bottoms.

Without a spacer (external or internal) the frame rests on the servo.

Going to put mine on the outside for now.

New look of my shocks.

Ahhhhhh, much better!

Now for the rec, and esc trays. These are the dividers in your tool box. Just cut to size.

Add some velcro.

And mount.

Now, a way to mount your saddle packs.

Now to fix the antenna to try to stop some of the glitching.

Completely different amount of flex. With the stage two I was getting about 90deg. Now it's down to a manageable amount, any more and the rear will want to come up.

Hopefully I can edit into my thread when I get my VF Dig and post up some pictures of the install. Will have to get a new controller and rec. also. Until then, I think I have some driving to do. It will be like driving a new truck, trying to figure out how this one works. Thanks for looking, SLOB.

I finally got around to posting up how I fixed my battery mounting for my Edge. Sorry it took so long. The last set up was a little ghetto to say the least. I basically used some industrial sticky, double sided velcro and matched the sides, top and bottom of the batteries to the tray and servo. I then used another peice on the top to secures the batteries down (the long thin green peice). This has worked so much better. Haven't had them moving or falling off even during a good tumble. Well, on to the new pics.

That's it for now. I'm patientally waiting for my VF dig still. That should be the nextupdate that I will post. Thanks for looking, SLOB.

Last edited by SLOB; 06-03-2008 at 11:07 AM.
SLOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2008, 07:08 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Glad to see this thread. I have been looking at that chassis. I am currently running the stage 2 setup. Is there more advantage with the chassis over the stage 2? And will the VF dig fit?
BMAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 07:17 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMAC View Post
Glad to see this thread. I have been looking at that chassis. I am currently running the stage 2 setup. Is there more advantage with the chassis over the stage 2? And will the VF dig fit?
I liked the stage 2 set up alot, alot of flex. I'm not sure about advantages/disadvantages of the chassis and the stage two. It sits alot lower, lower cog for sure. As for the dig, ??????? It should. I have seen some thread talk about the dig hitting the upper links but I think that will only happen if you still have the upper links in the holes you drilled in your frame (from the stage 2 directions). There's still alot of room inside the Edge chassis for stuff. If not, looks like I will just have to buy another crawler. Oh dang. Later, SLOB.
Old 03-30-2008, 08:47 PM   #4

Thanks SLOB!!!

I'm learning, but still pretty much a newb!! I'm gonna save this thread and copy your design once I get my Edge!!

BTW, what rate springs did you put in the shocks??

Last edited by Rather-B-Huntin; 03-30-2008 at 08:49 PM.
Rather-B-Huntin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 08:57 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Thats a very clean and slick build you have there. I admire the huge peace of velcrow across the servo and batteries.
RcFanatic92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 09:40 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rather-B-Huntin View Post
Thanks SLOB!!!

I'm learning, but still pretty much a newb!! I'm gonna save this thread and copy your design once I get my Edge!!

BTW, what rate springs did you put in the shocks??

I put the TCS Mediums in there.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:42 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RcFanatic92 View Post
Thats a very clean and slick build you have there. I admire the huge peace of velcrow across the servo and batteries.
Yeah, I think I might have to go back and re-do that part. I just can't get the batteries to stay in place. Might put some hot glue on the under side of the velcro. Thanks.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:04 AM   #8

Thank you much for posting this up for us new guys I got the chance to really mess around with my stock AX-10 today, and I realized I want more performance. This might be the frame for me. Great start so far, and thanks again. I'll have to keep watching.
Crawler-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 10:29 AM   #9
WVB
Quarry Creeper

For more help on your Edge try the designer of the Edge thread at:

Kamikaze's "Over the Edge" New TCS Tuber

Now you need to get you some stellar panel graphics:

TCS Edge Panel Graphics Now Available..!
WVB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 12:28 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

thanks for the info n pics. i like the clean build n i would also get that chassis for my axial.
biotoxic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 01:11 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVB View Post
For more help on your Edge try the designer of the Edge thread at:

Kamikaze's "Over the Edge" New TCS Tuber

Now you need to get you some stellar panel graphics:

TCS Edge Panel Graphics Now Available..!
I have seen these and they are awesome. I'm not sure if I want to get some premade ones yet or just try to do some of my own. If I posted my paint job of my Betty body ya'll would understand why I am thinking about getting some that are already done. Maybe I will post it up later tonight.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:06 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Got some new goodies today. The soggy sandwich is for me, not the truck.

New Shoes, finally.

Trying the star cut pattern this time.

The result.

I did all four of them. Didn't need to post four pictures, but if you need to, just hit refresh three times more to see four stars.
Added a bunch of these to all wheels, not sure of the weight.

Took about a quarter inch off the thickness of the foam.

End result. These look good, even though they are the plastic Axial wheels. Spent money on some other stuff.

Now, finally got around to putting some skin on the Edge. Mad a template out of lexan.

Found this stuff at the LHS.

Laid it out and cut it out.

New body panel.

A little fine tuning and it should fit alright. Just need a good color or look.

Found a good use for my original AX-10 chassis.

A new stand for the Edge.

Here is where the money went!

Ahhhhhh, a perfect skin. Came off the cover of an old scrap book that was laying around the house. Yes, a scrap book, and no I don't know where it came from.

Her roof.

Front and sides.

Added one extra to the back, didn't want my antenna out.

Used some old fuel tubing and glued it to the top/inside of the rear panel with enough slack on the inside to remove it.

Are these really mandatory?

Next install wil be................................................ ...................

Just need to figure out the new controller first. That thing has alot of buttons!

Thanks for looking if you did, and if not thanks anyway. I'll leave off here with a couple of pics in the garage after I got her done.

Thanks again for looking, until next time (VF Dig).........SLOB
Old 06-03-2008, 01:18 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

nice i really like this build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! super clean and money well spent....why don't you knock the green off the rock rings and either paint them or polish them, and replace the weak looking rings that came with your new set of axial wheels?
boost_aholic97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 01:27 PM   #14
no talent hack

looks good.

San Diego RCRC summer series comp #1

your coming right?
Nabil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 03:44 PM   #15
WVB
Quarry Creeper

Looks good... Since this is a Edge build up I thought I would mention that TCS has the Edge chassis on sale currently..! Also there is a nice pattern you can print out to cut your stars available here.
Old 06-03-2008, 03:48 PM   #16
RCC Addict

That is a good looking rig man... gotta love velcro

The camo look cool

I would have recommended using the metal BBs, not plastic... just for more weight. but then again I like using lead fish weights better then either of those

I was trying to talk my brother into buying a Edge... because I dont have time to build him a tuber and he wants one
Jeepernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 04:16 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVB View Post
Looks good... Since this is a Edge build up I thought I would mention that TCS has the Edge chassis on sale currently..! Also there is a nice pattern you can print out to cut your stars available here.
Is there something wrong with the link? I get " problem loading page "
new2crawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 04:36 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

TCS site is down for repairs.
2JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 04:39 PM   #19
WVB
Quarry Creeper

The Crawler Store website has been up and down past couple days...

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2crawlin View Post
Is there something wrong with the link? I get " problem loading page "
Old 06-03-2008, 09:21 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by boost_aholic97 View Post
nice i really like this build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! super clean and money well spent....why don't you knock the green off the rock rings and either paint them or polish them, and replace the weak looking rings that came with your new set of axial wheels?
Thanks for the compliments. Took the truck out today and it ran great. I'm thinking about cutting some more of the plastic that I used for the side panels and making some rings that are solid and only have a hole for the wrench and bolts. Thanks again, SLOB.