Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Building a AX10 at the beach when the tide is out.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2008, 09:04 AM   #1

Default Building a AX10 at the beach when the tide is out.

Well I start of by saying. I love this forum. I am currently in Iraq and normaly build/race gas powered RC's but since the nitro fuel would be rather difficult to get here I have decided to build a crawler while I am here to pass the time. Also since I have an abundence of rocks, dirt, sandbags etc to play with.

On to my question I have a decided to go with the AX10 but don't want to get the RTR (don't like the plastic links) so I was wonder your opinion on this,
would it be better to order a Edge chassis and all the other components separately OR get the KIT A from CKRC so I would have a good base line to start with and I would already have the drive train and the electronics and upgrade from there. the only thing in that kit I don't want is the radio and receiver cause I want to have 4WS and I will have my wife mail me out my Spectrum DX3 and my extra 3 channel receiver.
Also let me get the stupid question out of the way." What is a DIG" I keep seeing that but don't really understand what it does. Sorry this sounds like a newb question.

Any Suggestions are Welcome.
Thanks
lilskip is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2008, 09:20 AM   #2

I just put together my AX10 last week. I think you are going to love it. I also would like to know what "dig" means!
Thanks for serving our country! Too bad we can't get you guys some water out there to actually make it a beach.
drftfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 09:55 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

The kit truck is more of a hardcore rock crawler to where the rtr is a basher, racer...can go rock crawler truck. And as far as the kit or components, it is better to buy the kit and the edge, sell what ever you don't use out of the kit. And for your last question, Dig is a disconnect bolted to the back of the tranny, it will have a servo mount that in some form or another slides the drive shaft off the outdrive thus making the truck front wheel drive, Why you ask, Crawler turn radius is limited due to locked diffs and tranny, the dig allows for shorter turn radius and can cause the truck to turn on a dime, another advantage to dig is in a straight up climb, if your truck is on the verge of rolling over backwards and you must keep going or just got to get your front wheels over a steep edge- the dig shuts down the rear drive thus giving you that advantage with out further encouraging you truck to flip
JBHardwear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 10:09 AM   #4

Default So thats what a DIG is

So a dig use a servo engage and disengage it right. so you cant have a dig and 4ws unless you go to a 4 channel setup. or is there another option to be had cause I really had my heart set on 4WS but I do want to build a rig that I can use for Comp if the chance arises haha. Thanks for the explaination.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:14 AM   #5
WVB
Quarry Creeper

Yes - Thank you very much for that explanation on a DIG setup..!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbhardwear View Post
And for your last question, Dig is a disconnect bolted to the back of the tranny, it will have a servo mount that in some form or another slides the drive shaft off the outdrive thus making the truck front wheel drive, Why you ask, Crawler turn radius is limited due to locked diffs and tranny, the dig allows for shorter turn radius and can cause the truck to turn on a dime, another advantage to dig is in a straight up climb, if your truck is on the verge of rolling over backwards and you must keep going or just got to get your front wheels over a steep edge- the dig shuts down the rear drive thus giving you that advantage with out further encouraging you truck to flip
WVB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 10:25 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

To run both dig and 4ws you will need 4 channels, unless you use a y-connector hooked in with your front servo, the dig does have its own servo, and really with dig there is no need for 4ws as demonstrated in this video of the dig in use

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4L6pW-XryqA&NR=1
Old 03-31-2008, 10:29 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

BTW, 4ws is not allowed in 2.2 comp rigs if you compete but rear dig is, keep in mind if you are going to comp with you crawler and as i found out this past week end "You either have dig or get beat by some one who does" famous words of SACCO
Old 03-31-2008, 11:36 AM   #8

Thats defintly something to think about. Can't watch YouTube out here they have it blocked but I understand the concept of it. I putting my shopping list together right now. cause tonight is payday and the wife gives me my allowance. I going to get my Kit on order at least cause it don't matter how fast you have something shiped out here it still takes like 2 weeks to get anything. So bare with I will be asking alot of questions to make sure I order the right stuff the first time so I don't waste 2weeks waiting. Definitly going to have to add a DIG to my list now that I know what it does haha.

do most stay with the stock 3 link or do they change to the 4 link with the bent links right off the bat. also would it be a good Idea to order som medal rod ends now or wait for them to break. I know they break alot on my Gas Trucks and buggys.

Are there any benefits to putting the wheel spacers on to widen the axles or is stock alright,

What other Upgrades to I need to be looking at doing to it.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:55 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

The stock three link is ok, the four link plate by TCS or other will help remove some of the axle walk, the plastic ball ends hold up pretty good, i bind mine up worse than a territorial rattle snake and have never had one to break. I suggest softer springs, tun your shock bumps on the inside of your shock under the piston to get the cog down, and tires Losi Claws or Proline Hammers maybe
Old 03-31-2008, 12:00 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

All of my rigs seen below have the stock three link and plastic ball ends, I am putting the four link plate on my comp rigs now just to help with some axle walk in heavy articulation.

Old 03-31-2008, 04:16 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilskip View Post
Thats defintly something to think about. Can't watch YouTube out here they have it blocked but I understand the concept of it. I putting my shopping list together right now. cause tonight is payday and the wife gives me my allowance. I going to get my Kit on order at least cause it don't matter how fast you have something shiped out here it still takes like 2 weeks to get anything. So bare with I will be asking alot of questions to make sure I order the right stuff the first time so I don't waste 2weeks waiting. Definitly going to have to add a DIG to my list now that I know what it does haha.

do most stay with the stock 3 link or do they change to the 4 link with the bent links right off the bat. also would it be a good Idea to order som medal rod ends now or wait for them to break. I know they break alot on my Gas Trucks and buggys.

Are there any benefits to putting the wheel spacers on to widen the axles or is stock alright,

What other Upgrades to I need to be looking at doing to it.

Hi I had a lot of luck with the build they did here on RCCR for a comp ready ax10 .http://www.rccrawler.com/axialcompbuild.html good luck with your build and thanks for your service!
iconpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 07:32 PM   #12

Default Hit a snag

Well I have spent the day trying to get someone on the phone from CKRC or at least get a reply to my emails. but that is neither here nor there if they want my money they will write back.

Does anyone know of a place I can order my AX10 kit and will ship to a FPO address. So if Someone from TCS ,CKRC or another place that I can get my kit, will ship to FPO shoot me an email. I would like to get it headin my way so I can break my toy and fix it again.

Thanks
Old 04-12-2008, 02:04 PM   #13

Will towerhobbies ship it to you...just a thought
aWolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 02:42 PM   #14
RCC Addict

if you can't go on youtube,

could you go to www.video.google.com ?
ussprinceton2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 02:52 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Well I have spent the day trying to get someone on the phone from CKRC or at least get a reply to my emails. but that is neither here nor there if they want my money they will write back.

Does anyone know of a place I can order my AX10 kit and will ship to a FPO address. So if Someone from TCS ,CKRC or another place that I can get my kit, will ship to FPO shoot me an email. I would like to get it headin my way so I can break my toy and fix it again.

Thanks
You can try Rpp hobby and talk to corey, or try tcs and talk to kevin, they are both vendors on here, look on the vendors forum, i am pretty sure any one of them can accomodate your needs.
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 08:38 PM   #16

Default Shipping

Quote:

Thanks
First, let me say thanks for serving.

I have also checked and CKRC Crawlers will ship to an APO, so I would guess an FPO (same thing, just different "city"). The only thing they did specify in the response to my email was that if I am using PayPal that the address is correct for the APO. Tower Hobby will also ship to and APO, as will Horizon Hobby. Once I find one that ships I usually keep them bookmarked.

Good luck with the build!
Knotaddicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 05:24 AM   #17

Well just an update on things I did finially get my kit and all the other goodies on order on Apr 3. But it still hasn't ship out for some reason. CKRC sent me an email finially saying that there was some confusion in shipping department. but I do have a trackig number that says shipping info recieved. So thats one step closer. I had my wife send me a bunch of my tools out here from my 1/10 gas truck Pit box along with my Dremal Set and butane soldering iron so I am ready for it. Next thing I am looking for is a Tuber chassis I really like the Edge but I am open to suggestions cause I know most think its not a true tuber. Can't wait to get some pics crawling up the bunkers here.
Old 04-13-2008, 08:30 AM   #18

thanks for your service .. cant wait to see pics
kling-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 08:45 AM   #19
support@rc4wd.com

Sounds like CKRC service lately Get rid of the stock tires first off! You will be amazed how much better it will crawl with a good set of aftermarket tires. Stiffen up the front passenger side shock & rear driver side to reduce torque twist Move lower links inside chassis,bent links are great but, optional, get a good High Torque servo,get the weight as low as possible and upfront as much as possible . Keep sand outta th internals Just a few tips! Oh yea dont order from CKRC until they get there shit together I had problems myself and so have a few friends!
Quote:
Well just an update on things I did finially get my kit and all the other goodies on order on Apr 3. But it still hasn't ship out for some reason. CKRC sent me an email finially saying that there was some confusion in shipping department. but I do have a trackig number that says shipping info recieved. So thats one step closer. I had my wife send me a bunch of my tools out here from my 1/10 gas truck Pit box along with my Dremal Set and butane soldering iron so I am ready for it. Next thing I am looking for is a Tuber chassis I really like the Edge but I am open to suggestions cause I know most think its not a true tuber. Can't wait to get some pics crawling up the bunkers here.

Last edited by roborg5000; 04-13-2008 at 08:47 AM.
roborg5000 is offline   Reply With Quote