Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Browncoat's Comp Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2008, 08:31 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

CYBORG SCORPION

CHASSIS
* Axial AX-10 Scorpion kit
* Browncoat's custom "Cyborg" chassis
* Custom 3/8" delrin skid plate
* Axial XC-1 body

AXLES/DRIVETRAIN
* Axial Heavy Duty Lockers
* Axial Heavy Duty Bevel Gear Set
* Hot Racing Low Profile Straight Rear Axle Kit
* MIP CVD driveshafts

TIRES/SUSPENSION
* Losi Rock Crawler Shock Set (50 wt)
* Losi Rock Claw Tires
* Heavy Duty Bent Links
* Junfac Mudrock beadlocks

ELECTRICS
* Tekin FX-R ESC (coming soon)
* Tekin T55 Hand wound motor (coming soon)
* Traxxas TQ3 Rx/Tx
* Hi-Tec 5645MG steering servo
* MaxAmps LiPo 2000 2S 7.4V Pack

Last edited by Browncoat; 06-22-2008 at 12:59 AM.
Browncoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2008, 08:34 PM   #2
RCC Addict

You have the tech, but no pictures!!! :-(
JUSTGOINGSLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 08:55 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUSTGOINGSLOW View Post
You have the tech, but no pictures!!! :-(
I have the camera, but nothing to take pics of! I just ordered these items today, so the build process won't begin for a bit.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:18 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

where did you order your chassis from>?
crawlin247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 09:27 PM   #5
RCC Addict

you're definitely going to need to upgrade the stock lockers. get the titanium ones
ussprinceton2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 08:48 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Just thought I'd update with some new purchases I've made...

Radio: Traxxas TQ3
- Nothing fancy here. Seems to be the official budget crawler Tx/Rx combo, so I'm sure it will do just fine for me.

Shocks: Losi Rock Crawler Shock Set
- I learned one very important thing in my years of racing: A good driver can win with stock gear over a bad driver with 100 upgrades any day of the week. However, when it comes to upgrades, the two most important ones are shocks and tires. I will not be skimping on either of those...see below.

Tires: Losi Rock Claws
- I'm reminded of a quote from Days of Thunder: "Tires is what wins races, Cole." I was impressed with how cheap these were as well. I suppose I'm just used to paying racer prices.

Servo: Hi-Tec 5645MG
- Fought with this choice for awhile. I really wanted the 5955, because I ran it in my Revo and it's a great servo. However, I just couldn't justify the price for this application. Meaning, the whole AX-10 kit cost a little over $200...I can't see spending half that on a servo for it.

There are several other things on my wish list right now, and only two more items on my "must have" list...batteries and a charger. I wish now I hadn't sold all my gear with the Revo.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:11 PM   #7
support@rc4wd.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browncoat View Post
Just thought I'd update with some new purchases I've made...

Radio: Traxxas TQ3
- Nothing fancy here. Seems to be the official budget crawler Tx/Rx combo, so I'm sure it will do just fine for me.

Shocks: Losi Rock Crawler Shock Set
- I learned one very important thing in my years of racing: A good driver can win with stock gear over a bad driver with 100 upgrades any day of the week. However, when it comes to upgrades, the two most important ones are shocks and tires. I will not be skimping on either of those...see below.

Tires: Losi Rock Claws
- I'm reminded of a quote from Days of Thunder: "Tires is what wins races, Cole." I was impressed with how cheap these were as well. I suppose I'm just used to paying racer prices.

Servo: Hi-Tec 5645MG
- Fought with this choice for awhile. I really wanted the 5955, because I ran it in my Revo and it's a great servo. However, I just couldn't justify the price for this application. Meaning, the whole AX-10 kit cost a little over $200...I can't see spending half that on a servo for it.

There are several other things on my wish list right now, and only two more items on my "must have" list...batteries and a charger. I wish now I hadn't sold all my gear with the Revo.
Sounds like you are off to a great start Your setup is very similar to mine and i have been pleased with it. Check my signature out for an indoor location near you We are always looking for more people to come out to our course.
roborg5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 02:28 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I bought a set of stainless lockers and it does make a world of difference!! Cant wait to see some pics!
crawlbe4youwalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 10:21 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlbe4youwalk View Post
I bought a set of stainless lockers and it does make a world of difference!! Cant wait to see some pics!
Yessir, a set of lockers and straight axle conversion are on my list. It looks like I might be waiting on those...RCP is out of stock on them at the moment. I'm a big fan of supporting the community, so I've tried to buy from vendors here as much as possible.
Old 04-28-2008, 04:53 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Some parts have started to trickle in through the mail! I got my Tx/Rx, tires, and Losi shocks today. Which brings me to a question...

My days of racing have taught me that shock setup are largely personal preference. The initial rock crawling setup is new to me, and presents a whole new set of variables that I'm not used to. With racing, under/oversteer, acceleration squat, and other things were all factors that are not present with crawling. Anyway, about that question:

Is there a baseline setup for the Losi rock crawling shocks? From what I've read here, it seems that the white springs and 50wt oil are a good starting point.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:43 AM   #11
support@rc4wd.com

Quote:
Got a little anxious today, waiting on parts. My Hi-tec 5645MG servo came in today, but other than that...nada. So, I decided to go ahead and build the Losi shocks. I think I could do this process blind-folded, having built countless shocks over the years.

I'm pretty impressed with how smooth these shocks are. Can't wait to get them on Da Bull!
Good I will send you my next set Do you think you will be ready and able to make it to next Tuesday nights event?
Old 04-30-2008, 07:59 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlbe4youwalk View Post
I Have never had to upgrade my lockers and I drive my rig harrrdd................Dang!!!! just rounded out a locker, so yea good choice on the upgrade
JBHardwear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 10:23 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by roborg5000 View Post
Good I will send you my next set Do you think you will be ready and able to make it to next Tuesday nights event?

Bring em on, I'll build em! As for next Tuesday, I would love to come...but I would probably just be a spectator. Unless UPS arrives today with the kit, I don't know that I would get it built in time.

Old 04-30-2008, 10:38 AM   #14
support@rc4wd.com

Quote:
Bring em on, I'll build em! As for next Tuesday, I would love to come...but I would probably just be a spectator. Unless UPS arrives today with the kit, I don't know that I would get it built in time.

Hey weve had a few guys show up and just watch Im trying to trade a Ducted jet for a crawler just for that reason! Just post up in the thread if you are coming.
Old 04-30-2008, 08:55 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Got my AX-10 kit, Rooster Crawler, and Novak Fifty-Five from RCP Crawlers today! Good thing too...I was getting grouchy.

Nothing much to report in the way of build progress tonight. None of my axle parts are here yet, so it was pointless to start on those. I don't really want to build them, then have to take them apart again in a couple days. However, I did build the tranny. Aside from losing that tiny pin for the better part of an hour...assembly went without a hitch.

I also grabbed up all the green anodized stuff and gave them a healthy treatment of Liquid-Plumr. After about a 10-15 minute bath, the parts were starting to turn black. They're still pretty rough, but nothing a Dremel and some good polish won't cure.

I realized that I only ordered 1 heavy duty bevel gear set, so now I have to order another set. Blah...
Old 05-04-2008, 08:03 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

I had 1 set of heavy duty gears come in, and the CKRC Low Profile Rear axle kit came in as well...so I got to work on building the rear axle tonight. Everything went together smoothly, so nothing to really report.

However, my axle shafts can pull right out, even with the axle housing screwed together. Is that normal?

[EDIT] Nevermind...it's not normal. I see from reading Bender's thread again that there should be a bearing placing in the straight axle adapter. None were supplied with the kit, so I guess I'll have to order a couple bearings now.

Last edited by Browncoat; 05-04-2008 at 08:16 PM.
Old 05-04-2008, 08:25 PM   #17
ghetto fabulous newbie

Quote:
However, my axle shafts can pull right out, even with the axle housing screwed together. Is that normal?

[EDIT] Nevermind...it's not normal. I see from reading Bender's thread again that there should be a bearing placing in the straight axle adapter. None were supplied with the kit, so I guess I'll have to order a couple bearings now.

They dont use the stock bearings?
yotachump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 09:22 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotachump View Post
They dont use the stock bearings?
Yes, I was looking at the instructions for the stock build, and since I won't be using the stock rear steering knuckles, I can just use the bearings that would've went in them. CKRC included everything I needed for the conversion, it was just my newbness that didn't quite grasp where everything went, and what I wasn't using from the stock setup.

After putting everything together the right way, it all fits nice and snug. No need for shims or anything.

Last edited by Browncoat; 05-04-2008 at 09:24 PM.
Old 05-05-2008, 03:59 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Well, it looks like my chassis is going to be delayed...probably a couple weeks. I guess I'll just bolt everything up to the stock chassis for now, just to get things running. I'm still waiting on the heavy duty spur gears for the front axle, other than that, I think I finally have the rest of my parts.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:00 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Default Progress!

Since this is a build thread, figured I should finally post some pics. This is the (mostly) completed rear axle, with Losi shocks and CKRC straight axle kit. I was finally able to get my links and beadlocks polished tonight as well. Yeah, I know there's a bit of green anodizing on there...but I just don't have it in me to polish parts that small.

Last edited by Browncoat; 05-05-2008 at 08:03 PM.