Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: AX10 RTR or Kit for a build? Kit seems more popular, but RTR has some nice features.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2008, 03:07 AM   #1

Question AX10 RTR or Kit for a build? Kit seems more popular, but RTR has some nice features.

My last rock crawler was a custom Tamiya Juggernaut before the whole TXT/TLT trucks. I’ve been away from the hobby and to my surprise; the rock crawling thing is huge now.

So, I’m looking at getting the AX10 RTR version to start my build. Am I missing something, because the RTR version seems like a better platform (except for the plastic links)? I’m not worried about the radio gear/electronics. Those will all be swapped out anyways. My plan is to make Delrin links right away to replace the stock plastic. I will also be building a new chassis using Delrin.

To summarize the differences:

RTR Pros
-Heavy duty lockers (If I got the kit I would buy these as well)
-Straight rear axle (I would need an after market solution for this if I got the kit)
-Comes with Slipper (Still not sure if I want to run a slipper on a crawler)
-No green!!!

RTR Cons
-Plastic Links (I will be replacing with Delrin anyways, even if I had the kit aluminum)
-Plastic transmission spacers (does this matter?)
-Pre-painted body
-Non-adjustable body mounts (Don’t care)

The RC Car Action review says that the RTR is missing "upper chassis plate standoffs". What are these?

So, am I missing anything regarding build quality? It looks to me that the RTR will actually save me money over the kit based on the build I want.

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks.
nukexbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-2008, 03:56 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

The upper standoffs are two green bars that link the two chassis plates. The rtr only has the plastic holders of the battery tray holding them together. Not a big problem IMO.

I can't tell you about the quality. I only have the rtr.
Nick Furia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 04:13 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Most of the electronics are cheap on the RTR, the motor is a high wind motor better suited for bashing than crawling, so you need a motor, the ESC is a cheapie unit (as with most RTR's), and i dont really have an opinion on the radio. If you plan on running the stock electronics then go ahead an buy the RTR. but if you have better stuff or plan on running high quality electronics, then your paying more for suff your not gonna use. Personally since you plan on replacing most of the stock parts anyway i would get the kit, some decent electronics and go to town. Also if you plan on replacing everything immediately you can buy the axles and transmission seperately, get some pede driveshafts and steel yokes. and build from there.
nj05nismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 06:22 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I don't know about the RTR, but my kit had several aluminum parts that the instructions called optional. The wheel hexes, are one example. The plastic parts were in there too, but I had several little bags of optional aluminum stuff. That may be true with the RTR also, but I would doubt it since the links aren't even aluminum.

I like the wheels, and the HD locker, but those are the only PRO's IMO.

What do I know though
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 06:38 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

in my opinion i would go for the kit. chances are you will end up replacing most of the components on a rtr with upgrades ie: suspension links, electronics, steering links, etc...

or, buy a rtr and sell off everything except the axles and tranny...
madmaxxed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 06:57 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

I also had lots of plastic left overs from the kit. Good to know if I break something I still have 10 more to replace it. I like the green. Looks different. Axial is coming out with different coros. red, orange, ect ect... The kit took me about 8 hrs to put together. Very easy.
madmax22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 07:24 AM   #7

RTR takes all the fun and knowledge out of having R/Cs my opinoin is RTR versions are a lazy mans way out
brentmorl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 08:08 AM   #8
I joined the Band!

Personally for the money, thr RTR is more important to me just because of the solid rear straight axle. Have you seen the price to convert if you have the kit version?? You can buy the RTR and sell what you do not want. People always buying something. I am going to get the RTR and sell the painted body, motor, and tires. plastic links are not a big deal if you are not competing. Plastic links give a little so that (in my opinon) prevents breakage futher back. Anyway that is my take on the subject
skullking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 08:27 AM   #9

I decided to go for the RTR, the price was the same here.

The slipper, rear axle, lack of green, and the cheap electronics (I had no other gear) made the kit look like a better option economically initially.

I understand why the RTR would seem like a lazy way compared to the kit, but if you are going to upgrade you will have it torn apart soon enough :-P
Houndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 09:15 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentmorl View Post
RTR takes all the fun and knowledge out of having R/Cs my opinoin is RTR versions are a lazy mans way out
You are right, chances are you will never take apart an RTR to learn or fix anything?!
O.C.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 10:01 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc J33P View Post
You are right, chances are you will never take apart an RTR to learn or fix anything?!
Apparently you did not see that he would be replacing stuff right away. IE electronics and the plastic links. That to me leads me to believe he will know the truck after having taken it apart to replace gear......
DanTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 10:13 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

If your going to end replacing that much crap, just get the kit.
You can cut the skid for inboard links, make or buy bent links, and setup your shocks before you assemble it.

I don't do RTR's anymore, takes all the fun out of it.
BigRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 11:34 AM   #13

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Some of you are a little hung up on the RTR thing. Do you really think that someone who is building a new chassis and links would not bother to take apart the axles and tranny? The front axle needs to come apart just to put the locker in. I'm going with a custom chassis and links (4-link setup) in order to control CG, torque pull and squat.

This will be a local comp crawler in the end and whether I get the RTR or Kit I'll still be throwing tons of parts away. I'm a little worried about buying the separate axles and tranny as I won't have some parts to use as a template (eg. skid/mm).

It doesn't sound like there's a technical reason to not get the RTR so I'll just need to fully price out the two options and see which one comes ahead.
Old 05-04-2008, 12:04 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

i would get the RTR, if you do more RC stuff than just crawling you can always use the extra gear for SOMETHING, or just sell it...either way some extra parts are always good
severed701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 12:46 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukexbi View Post
Thanks for the feedback guys.

Some of you are a little hung up on the RTR thing. Do you really think that someone who is building a new chassis and links would not bother to take apart the axles and tranny? The front axle needs to come apart just to put the locker in. I'm going with a custom chassis and links (4-link setup) in order to control CG, torque pull and squat.

This will be a local comp crawler in the end and whether I get the RTR or Kit I'll still be throwing tons of parts away. I'm a little worried about buying the separate axles and tranny as I won't have some parts to use as a template (eg. skid/mm).

It doesn't sound like there's a technical reason to not get the RTR so I'll just need to fully price out the two options and see which one comes ahead.
I have both. They both crawl great, and now, the rtr is on an X-trail frame, and the kit will be a rock racer tuber soon. If you want the end result to be a comp rig, do the kit.
1 It's cheaper, even with the mods to make the axles the same.
2 The rtr electronics are NO GOOD for comp crawling!!! The brake will not even hold the truck still on a downhill
3 The RTR uses cheap plastic nuts and screws, not bolts.
4 The plastic links on the rtr flex, a lot!
5 With the kit, you can use the rod ends to make your custom links. The RTR has none.
6 The kit comes with a lot of extra parts, the RTR only a few
7 The RTR uses more plastic everywhere!
Bottom line. The RTR makes a good first crawler, but not anywhere close to a comp rig!!!!! Get the kit, you'll be better off!!
Hope this helps.
spot me 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 01:44 PM   #16

Thank you very much Spot me 2.
This is the exact info I was looking for. For example, I had no idea the RTR didn't come with the rod ends.

Well that settles it, I'll be going with the Kit version.
Old 05-04-2008, 06:57 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Yea. you wont be dissapointed with the kit. good luck! The kit is very nice and easy to put together, I got it done in about 8hrs.
madmax22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 07:53 PM   #18

I bought BOTH. I got the kit first. When I could not Axial spare parts like driveshafts and hop-ups like the solid axle kit, I bought a RTR and parted it out. There is no technical reason NOT to get the RTR, It has some cool stuff the kit does not have. The driveshaft yokes are steel and the wheel hexes are aluminum. The steering linkage is plastic and a little flimsy but this can be fixed.
sedanman67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 12:41 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

it sounds like your just after the axle and trans, if that s the case you can pick them up for about 45$ a piece, puts you around 135$, but like previously mentioned, you wouldn't get all the extras that come with the kit, if you are considering this route, you can check out this thread to adress your concerns for the skid an servo mountsBinaryTerror 4 Link/Battery Plate Template
I've also heard no mention about shocks wheels and tires, if you plan on using the stock wheels for a while, you might as well just get the kit, the wheels alone would cost about 50$, the shocks aren't the best but they will get you by for a while if you don't have the cash for everything all at once.
hope this helps, and good luck with your build

oh by the way, the good templates are a little ways in

Last edited by screaminsavage; 05-05-2008 at 12:50 AM.
screaminsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 01:18 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

this thread delivers. I love this forum :-P
helhedded is offline   Reply With Quote