Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Easy step by step install of Scorpion tires/wheels.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2008, 12:19 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Thumbs up Easy step by step install of Scorpion tires/wheels for new builders.

Ok, I decided that although I am new here I can contribute to what I know so far. I have read/noticed that a lot of people have difficulties properly setting up the stock Scorpion wheels/tires. Most people say that it took them hours to do it. Others say that it is really hard to do. When I built mine I thought about how to make it easier and more efficient. What I came up with was a very quick and efficient way to mount the tires, as well as a quick and efficient way to cut the stock foams. The stock foams are too much for the space inside the tires and I wanted them to be semi-supportive but not balloon the tires.

(I am aware that the tires are crap on the rocks, but many of us do not have Claws or Hammers to start off with. I do have extra wheels and tires so I will only use the stock Scorpion wheels/tires to test against the better ones.)

So, here is how I solved these issues and it only takes about 10 minutes per wheel/tire to do:

Above all the wheels need to be vented to help aid in the reduction of wheel bounce, and so that the tires can wrinkle under load better. So I took a pin vise and a 1mm bit and drilled two holes into the rims at adjacent sides:

Once that is done save yourself the trouble of trying to install all 48 screws for the beadlocks after the tire is on the rim. Take 1 screw and thread the wheels:

It may take a little time but it is more efficient.

Now, let’s get to the foams. They are not the best, but again, most beginners (including myself) will want to run them to at least know. They are too full for the tires, and they also are too wide at the top. Grab an X-Acto or a flat razor blade and learn to cut, lol. Pinch the foam in the middle so that it compresses equally on both sides. Then take your blade and simply cut on the top of the foam until you have made a slit that is about ½” or so deep:

Turn the foam around and make sure you are about 180 degrees from the opposite cut:

Now take those two cuts and move them 90 degrees in your hand and do the same thing as before. Move along and make 4 more cuts at 45 degrees to these four cuts. If you do it correctly you will have an 8 cut pattern that has a cut almost a ½” deep every 45 degrees.

Last edited by O.C.D.; 05-07-2008 at 12:34 PM.
O.C.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-2008, 12:23 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Now, you will need some scissors. I used lexan scissors as they are handy and easy to use. Squeeze the foam in between a cut so that it opens up the cut. Then using your scissors cut along the edge of the exposed cut:

Go all the way around until you have removed the 8 parts on the foam:

Turn the foam around and do the same again for the other 8 parts:

Now that this is done you have an 8 star pattern that will relieve the fullness in the tire. But, you will want to angle the top of the foam so that it’s with will not push the tire out too much. Again grab your scissors and simply cut the outer edges of the stars about 3/8”-1/2” at an angle to remove the side points of the stars:

Now your foams will no longer look like this inside the tires:

They will be more loose and allow for better compression without pushing the tires out unnecessarily.
Now, you are ready to assemble the tires on the rims. Place a tire/foam combo on the rim:

Using your middle finger from behind push up on the wheel so that the bead can fall into the groove easier. When you see the bead it should look like this:

While still maintaining pressure go ahead and secure the ring on with a screw:

Add the other five screws:

Secure them all down:
Old 05-07-2008, 12:27 PM   #3
RCC Addict

You now have a great bead and a secure hold on the tire from the rings pressure:

Now flip the wheel/tire over and fully compress the other edge of the tire onto the wheel:

It will look like this from the front:

Now lift a small amount of the tire onto the bead of the rim:

Take 1 screw and secure the ring enough so that it will maintain pressure on this part of the bead:

Then using a screwdriver or allen wrench work the bead into the groove on the tire:

You will notice that you can go from the inside of the rim to push the bead in from the inside as well. This will fully set the bead on the rim. Now add your other 5 screws and lock them down. Now you have another perfectly secure bead on the rear of the wheel:

When all is said and done your tires will be fully beaded into the rims, You will have breathability in the tires because of the holes you drilled, and your tire will compress in an easier fashion:

Although these tires are not the best they can be used for fun no matter what. For most of us beginners this will make it easy to set them up and only take about 45 minutes to complete. Hopefully this will help any new comers to the stock Axial Scorpion Beadlock/Rock Lizard tires combo.

Jon

Last edited by O.C.D.; 05-07-2008 at 12:33 PM.
Old 05-07-2008, 12:50 PM   #4

Default Your "Da Man"

DOC J33P You post was perfect timing. I am just in the process of building my first crawler a AX-10 and have not gotten to assembling the tires yet.

I did some prior searches and did not come up with the info I was looking for as to tire assembly on the AX-10. I am going to review your post and apply your tips. Great job!

Thanks,

Bob
Babalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 01:04 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babalu View Post
DOC J33P You post was perfect timing. I am just in the process of building my first crawler a AX-10 and have not gotten to assembling the tires yet.

I did some prior searches and did not come up with the info I was looking for as to tire assembly on the AX-10. I am going to review your post and apply your tips. Great job!

Thanks,

Bob
That is exactly why I did it! I had not found anything that helped and I figured that since these kits sell like hot cakes that other people who come here might see it.

Thanks!
Old 05-07-2008, 01:45 PM   #6

Great timing indeed! My AX10 is being delivered tomorrow, and I'd really like to enjoy building it, rather than get pissed of trying to build it.

Thanks for spending your time to help us beginners
Fat-Alfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 02:10 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat-Alfie View Post
Great timing indeed! My AX10 is being delivered tomorrow, and I'd really like to enjoy building it, rather than get pissed of trying to build it.

Thanks for spending your time to help us beginners
I just built mine last night so I am also a beginner, lol. Building it was a blast, and tonight when I go home and put all of my goodies on it I will have even more fun!!! I love toys!
Old 05-07-2008, 02:11 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Great thread! I actually decided against the foams because I too thought they were a bit oversized and didn't want a bouncy tire either. I will however try your cutting technique when I'm ready to try something different.
Thanks again for taking the time for this step by step.
OldShovelhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 02:17 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Good tutorial Doc. Very detailed pics. Only suggestion I would make is to get a good set of hex drivers instead of wasting time with allen keys. You'll save yourself stripped parts and a lot of swearing and sweating.
ecoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 02:41 PM   #10
PapaGriz Yo

Nice job Doc, even something as simple as mounting tires makes for a great tech tip. Thanks for the contribution.

At some point we need to make a sticky with a list of tech tips and this will be included.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 03:00 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoli View Post
Good tutorial Doc. Very detailed pics. Only suggestion I would make is to get a good set of hex drivers instead of wasting time with allen keys. You'll save yourself stripped parts and a lot of swearing and sweating.
x2 Doc Nice write up. Get some hex drivers, Harbor freight on Fountain and circle http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=97517 Awesome set for the price and fits all the heads on the ax10!! Best tool I bought. Mine is green instead of the yellow.
THnCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 04:06 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

The way I did my axials was to mount the tire and wheel like you did in this pic.And then put the ring on with all the screws in a few turns,then I pulled the ring up,seated the bead and tightend the screws up in a cross pattern.Worked great for me and fairly quick also.
Hellbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 06:02 PM   #13
RCC Addict

I've been doing threads here: http://www.nitrokillers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=171
these are all the different things that you can do with the Axial kits From Stock to modified to the x-trail. It's a great list for those that are new to this.

Jason

Last edited by JAM MaxAmps.com; 05-07-2008 at 06:06 PM.
JAM MaxAmps.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 06:03 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

lol I wish you would have posted this about 2 weeks ago lol i let my dad do what i thought was the easyist parts about 2 hrs to do them all and then to realize he didnt put the beads in right..... lol. so yes i had to show him and then he got the hang of it and took him about 30 min to re-do them... good write up!
madmax22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 06:36 PM   #15

nice write up...
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 09:54 AM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoli View Post
I know, I know, the allens suck badly. I am at the point where I need some really badly but alas, I am broke?! Soon though I hope. I really need them before I start stripping screw like I did on about 12 of the wheel screws.

Thanks for the support guys. Like I said, I am new to the Scorpion so I thought that it could help future newbies.

I am almost there with my setup, I am only lacking a motor/DX3R/Batts/Charger and I am there. Soon, sooon, sooooon. lol
Old 05-08-2008, 10:11 AM   #17
Rock Stacker

Another little tip to make getting the screws in the wheels easier, take the tip of your hobby knife, or corner of razor or whatever and open the opening of the screw holes up a little, it just lets the screw get down in there a little.
JasonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 04:22 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

I found the tires difficult to get into the wheel, the bead almost seemed too big.

Here's a tip for helping to set the bead

Lube up the bead with some extra shock oil, not alot, just enough to make it slick. this will allow you to just slip the tires in the wheels and get the bead to fully seat perfectly. And for all of you that will question it, no you will not be pulling the bead out when mounted using oil!
mysharona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 04:52 PM   #19
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonC View Post
Another little tip to make getting the screws in the wheels easier, take the tip of your hobby knife, or corner of razor or whatever and open the opening of the screw holes up a little, it just lets the screw get down in there a little.
This is a MUST! They go in SOOOO much eaiser then.
Knoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 06:22 PM   #20
ZIP
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonC View Post
Another way to to put a chamfer on the hole is to take a 1/8 or so drill bit between your thumb and forefinger align it in the hole and twirl it a little until the small chamfer appears. Works good for both plastic or metal.
ZIP is offline   Reply With Quote