Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Comp tuber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2008, 10:26 AM   #61
Pebble Pounder

Great looking build!!
lukedaemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2008, 09:53 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Masher View Post
I had limited time so I pretty much winged the whole thing and didn't take the time to get pics along the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Hermit View Post
A very well thought out and methodical build.

Texas_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 09:51 PM   #63
RCC Addict

Thanks for the comments guys. Sorry I heven't posted up on the panels, i've been real busy this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FULLTHROTTLE View Post
Nice truck it looks great did you braise or tac weld that chassis
Yes the chassis is fully MIG welded. I started to TIG the main frame but I need more practice before I'm confident to fully TIG a chassis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbgerrish View Post
Sweet work, and the aluminum panels are outstanding! What thickness are they? Did I miss it in the thread?
I think they are .062 thick, they are basically disposable cooking sheets. I anneal them to make them soft so they can be molded easier.

I Promise I'll do a complete write-up on the panels. Hopefully by the end of the weekend.

I have a comp this Sunday so I'm really excited to run the finished product!
Metal Masher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 09:34 PM   #64
RCC Addict

Ran in the comp today, What a blast! I pointed out in the first course but after borrowing some rock claws, and being showed that i had 3 positions on my Magnum to run my dig , I aced the next 2 courses and ended up going from a 40 to a 15 and placing 5th! Woot! the best I've done so far!

Here are the pics of the damage a lot of this came from the first course, it was brutal!, But I did play around after the comp and since the body was already mangled I just beat on it more. So for a whole day of wailing on it it's really not that bad . the roof took most of the punishment. Time for another body!

Old 09-07-2008, 09:45 PM   #65

Another body, now it looks like a real 1:1 crawler . Keep up the good work.
CowboysYJLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 08:25 AM   #66

that thing looks frickin sweet with the body damage,

TELL US HOW YOU DID THE PANELS!!

Last edited by Texas_TJ; 09-08-2008 at 08:35 AM.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:55 AM   #67
Rock Stacker

holy friggin realistic damage!! What do you do with the beat-up pannels?

Subscribed!
AxelRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 11:59 AM   #68
RCC Addict

Dont replace that body, it looks great.
vipxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 12:48 PM   #69
RCC Addict

Don't know what planet I was on when this was being posted? Must have been when I didn't have a life back in college this spring. Anyway, my first comment would be why no tires during all of that trial and error? But, in your last comp you used Claws. Maybe you will stay away from the lizards.

Cool ass build all the way. You have any way to make the bodies stronger. I know you made them and thicker material is harder, but if you could make them a bit thicker than you would not waste so much time replacing them. Then again, it really isn't a waste cause they do look so cool all beat up.
O.C.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 07:16 PM   #70
I wanna be Dave

Blake, it was so much fun to watch you run the truck on Sunday. The best part about it is how you don't get upset at all when the body panels get mangled!

I was asking you a lot of questions about your dig on sunday, I'm really inspired to build one on my own. Would it be possible to shoot me a pic or 2 of your setup?

I'm going to use North West Shortline to supply gears, I just need a better idea of what I need to buy.

Thanks! See you at Lock 12?
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 08:58 PM   #71
RCC Addict

you just give that unit some character, and you want to give it a makeover? i say leave it.
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 09:24 PM   #72
Pebble Pounder

yes! please do a write up on the panels, i really want to get some.
85toycrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 10:10 PM   #73
Rock Stacker

that thing is sick... is it T.I.G , M.I.G, or braze?
Jason S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 10:40 PM   #74

i just wanna saa again how damn bad ass this rig looks with all the beat up panles, i love it man ,great work
Old 09-09-2008, 05:36 AM   #75
RCC Addict

Thanks again everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_TJ View Post
that thing looks frickin sweet with the body damage,

TELL US HOW YOU DID THE PANELS!!
LOL! I'm getting there. Family takes priority so i'll need to set aside some time to do the write-up

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxelRod View Post
holy friggin realistic damage!! What do you do with the beat-up pannels?

Subscribed!
I keep everything. I have boxes of smashed up bodies. This isn't the only RC I have that uses an aluminum body

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc J33P View Post
Don't know what planet I was on when this was being posted? Must have been when I didn't have a life back in college this spring. Anyway, my first comment would be why no tires during all of that trial and error? But, in your last comp you used Claws. Maybe you will stay away from the lizards.

Cool ass build all the way. You have any way to make the bodies stronger. I know you made them and thicker material is harder, but if you could make them a bit thicker than you would not waste so much time replacing them. Then again, it really isn't a waste cause they do look so cool all beat up.
Tires were the last thing on my mind during the build. I wanted to get the mechanics and body dialed in first. I have experimented with different weights, different sets of moabs, the kit tires and the claws. mainly borrowing other peoples tires to get a feel for what I want. Honestly I ran out of funds and can't afford to buy a set right now.

I've been asked many times why I don't go to thicker metal and you got it right, the scale realism is dead on so i wouldn't want it dented any less and for me making another body isn't that big of a deal. I got it down to a science.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
Blake, it was so much fun to watch you run the truck on Sunday. The best part about it is how you don't get upset at all when the body panels get mangled!

I was asking you a lot of questions about your dig on sunday, I'm really inspired to build one on my own. Would it be possible to shoot me a pic or 2 of your setup?

I'm going to use North West Shortline to supply gears, I just need a better idea of what I need to buy.

Thanks! See you at Lock 12?
Thanks man! Yah I replied to you're message in the shout box on SVSC but it got buried pretty quick. you can see the full writ-up on here:

Digging outside the box

What is North West Shortline? I've never heard of them. you posted on SVSC about getting a 2 speed R2 rebuild kit but you would need to buy 3 of them to make the dig. It takes 3 gears to make one. you'll see in the build-up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason S View Post
that thing is sick... is it T.I.G , M.I.G, or braze?
As said before it's fully MIG welded
Old 09-09-2008, 08:34 AM   #76
Rock Crawler

Outstanding metal work and engineering.

I am with the other guys the smashed up body looks awesome.
stampedeproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 04:25 PM   #77