Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: GC2 Build from NC/ Vader Project

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2008, 07:56 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default GC2 Build from NC/ Vader Project

Well its all done. After a test session on Sun I knew I had some work to do. The lower straight links had to go, more ground clearence was needed, and the crappy mini Dig servo setup need a complete overhaul. So back to the bench we went and this is what I done. Made new lower bent links front and rear, changed the springs to gain ground clearence front and rear, and made a bracket so a standard size servo could be used to shift the Dig. I made a bracket out of the rear steer servo plate to fit the dig. It works perfect and I luv it. Very easy to do. I used all the stock axial parts to make it. Right now I'm using a Z590 MG servo with 85oz torq but may switch to a digital one later but the 590 works flawless. All links are up out of the way so nothing drags or gets hung up. Ground clearence is 2 11/16"-2 3/4". This truck is as stable as it gets with no chassis twist. I also moved the body post to the top of the truck so I could make those really tight lines with no hang ups on the body post, works great!
So check out the final pics and let me know what ya think. Paint is a bit simple but its clean and Chance Likes it, it was his idea to do a white truck. He even tented the windows, pretty cool! Not bad for an 11 yr old.

Project GC2 build #2 will start up this weekend. I should have all the parts Fri. and it should go together smooth scence I have all the bug worked out on this first build. This one will have the Blake Vanquish Wheels. I have dubed it "The Vader Project!"

This link shows the truck before any testing was done with straight links
http://s229.photobucket.com/albums/e...0Build%20Pics/

The link below shows pics of the truck after testing was done and modifycations were done, as indicated in above post. It is flat out the best truck I have seen. The darn thing is like a spider and does verts like nothing else period. Hope you guys like it.
http://s229.photobucket.com/albums/e...ic%20Part%202/
Truggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2008, 08:26 PM   #2
Keep it real

Looks good Truggies I'm wondering why you decided to put the upper links under the plates, just to get the separation you wanted, or some little trick reason?
Looks like it's got plenty of articulation too.
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 09:00 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Putting the links under the plates just seemed to work better for me. everything moves so free and smooth. I seen other folks putting front links on top a rear links on bottom and vice versa. even seen the links all on the top. with the bent links like they are it just seem to work better with the top links all under the plate. Should this setup not work because if thats the case this thing is a freak of plastic and aluminum. This truck is awesome. I think you have your links mounted front under plate and rear on top of plate correct. I thought thats what I saw anyway, I may be wrong. The suspension is sweet and the seperation of all the parts is spot on, nothing touches or even comes close to touching the way I have it all mounted. Did you notice the spscers I made to go on the axles where the shock and lower link should go. This moved the shocks to the out side and the lower links to the inside. Gives everything plenty of room to move when articulating with nothing binding. All I can say is it works!
Old 05-29-2008, 09:08 PM   #4
Keep it real

Yes, I have my fronts under, and rears above, for no special reason, I just like that much antisquat in the rear. Nothing wrong with your setup, just slightly different And if it's working for you, that's what matters
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 09:24 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

do you have more detailed pics for the dig servo.
killa b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 08:32 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

I don't but I'm getting ready to build another truck (GC2) today and will take some for you. So keep up with the thread for more pics and info.
Old 05-31-2008, 02:52 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

ok thank you i need to do the same thing to mine
killa b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 03:34 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Your top links are in lower holes than the set up I see in most GC rigs. Check out some other GC builds you'll see what I'm talking about.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 01:40 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truggies View Post
Well its all done. After a test session on Sun I knew I had some work to do. The lower straight links had to go, more ground clearence was needed, and the crappy mini Dig servo setup need a complete overhaul. So back to the bench we went and this is what I done. Made new lower bent links front and rear, changed the springs to gain ground clearence front and rear, and made a bracket so a standard size servo could be used to shift the Dig. I made a bracket out of the rear steer servo plate to fit the dig. It works perfect and I luv it. Very easy to do. I used all the stock axial parts to make it. Right now I'm using a Z590 MG servo with 85oz torq but may switch to a digital one later but the 590 works flawless. All links are up out of the way so nothing drags or gets hung up. Ground clearence is 2 11/16"-2 3/4". This truck is as stable as it gets with no chassis twist. I also moved the body post to the top of the truck so I could make those really tight lines with no hang ups on the body post, works great!
So check out the final pics and let me know what ya think. Paint is a bit simple but its clean and Chance Likes it, it was his idea to do a white truck. He even tented the windows, pretty cool! Not bad for an 11 yr old.

Project GC2 build #2 will start up this weekend. I should have all the parts Fri. and it should go together smooth scence I have all the bug worked out on this first build. This one will have the Blake Vanquish Wheels. I have dubed it "The Vader Project!"

This link shows the truck before any testing was done with straight links
http://s229.photobucket.com/albums/e...0Build%20Pics/

The link below shows pics of the truck after testing was done and modifycations were done, as indicated in above post. It is flat out the best truck I have seen. The darn thing is like a spider and does verts like nothing else period. Hope you guys like it.
http://s229.photobucket.com/albums/e...ic%20Part%202/
Looks great, get some vids up. Wanna see that spider climb.
v10king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 03:37 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post
Your top links are in lower holes than the set up I see in most GC rigs. Check out some other GC builds you'll see what I'm talking about.
I just set it up the way I thought it was suppose to go. I did look at some others but the links seemed to hit. like this it all operates smothly. I'll check'em out again to see what I done wrong. But this set up works pretty good.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:34 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Got the second GC2 build started today. I been taking pics as I go so this should be much more detailed than the first Build. I'll try and get the pic I have so far posted some time tomorrow. They show how I notched my dig case for clearence so the lower link can move freely where it attaches to the main chassis plate. They also so how i made the servo bracket for the dig to accept a standard size servo, and several other things I have done. So stay tuned for the latest pics later.
Old 06-03-2008, 04:38 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

OK guys as promised here are the first round of Pics from the GC2 Vader Project. I'm fixing to get back to work on it so I'll have a second round of pics tomorrow. By then it should at least start to look like a Crawler. Hope you enjoy the pics.

Pics part 1

http://s229.photobucket.com/albums/e...oject/?start=0

Pics part 2

http://s229.photobucket.com/albums/e...s%20part%20II/

Pics part 3 later today

Last edited by Truggies; 06-04-2008 at 08:55 AM.