Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: SNB Comp Tuber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2008, 12:17 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default SNB Comp Tuber

I decided it was time to post up my first Scorpion. It's been to it's first comp (mine too) and did pretty well. It's evolved a bit since I started it box stock.

Some specs:

Chassis - SNB prototype sporting SNB colors
Axles - Scorpion stock
Trans - Scorpion stock
Shocks - Scorpion not stock
Servo - Cirrus
ESC - Novak Rooster Crawler
Motor - Novak 55t
Batteries - TCS 6 cell pack
Beadlocks - modded Axial with TCS X-Trail rings and 3mm hardware
Tires - Losi Claws with cut stock foams
Misc - TCS Boomerang mounts front and rear
Traxxas Revo Long Travel Pushrods (black) custom hammered into 30deg links
Alum. stright axle rears (not sure who but could be RC4WD - got in trade)
Alum spindles (not sure who but could be RC4WD - got in trade)

The shocks have short internal springs with HPI WK springs on the outside for 3/4 droop effect. It worked well for me it's changed a bit. I'll get into that in a later post.

Here's a couple shots of how it was configured for it's maiden comp

I tried something different out with my wheels. I went with the TCS X-Trail rings and drilled them and the rim out for some 3mm button head screws. I went with the rings so the bigger screw heads wouldn't over hang smaller width rings. There's just enough meat on the rims and I run mine light enough I'm not worried about tearing them apart. I haven't stripped a screw yet in any of my 5 sets of Axial beadlocks but only 2 sets have the 3mm screws. The foams, well I couldn't make up my mind. I like a firm sidewall and usually cut W's in my foams but I wanted to try the plain jane star pattern. So I split the difference and did both. So far I've only run it with the stars to the outside. The way I drive I want the extra sidewall stiffness on the inside and for the outside fold over and bite. It sorta works for me. The buggy doesn't quite seem heavy enough for this set up. I got 3 1/2oz in each front wheel and those seem to grip like I want but rears have no weight and I can tell the foams don't work as well as in the front.

Mriswith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-2008, 04:22 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

wow that tuber is beautiful! sweet lines and design.

actually all the build is looking good to me

I'm curious about the shocks, I'm trying to find a good setup for a half droop configuration on my crawler
bazur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 09:14 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

The internal spring is short enough that about 3/4" of the shock shaft hangs out. Then I threw on the softest springs I had laying around, the stock Wheely Kings and used some 30wt oil. With the shock mount positions I ended up with about 1/2" of fuel tube on the outside as a limiter. That gave my rig 40deg of articulation. It was almost enough for my tastes. It made me think torsion chassis the way it flexed. The internal springs where some random light springs I picked up a local hardware store.

I got bored and now it's a full droop config. And shorter. And lower. And new ESC. And new tires. And new batteries. And new foams. And new scratches. Well it has the scratches and droop shocks. The rest just got ordered.

As pictured above it had a 12" wb with 2 3/4" belly clearance. Now I'm trying out a shorter wheelbase. I like it so far. We'll see how it does at next comp with some 7 cells, a sidewinder and sporting some new Panthers. With the extra cell and a pinion change I might have enough wheel speed this time.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:22 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

love the tuber man!
ROLANDROCKSHOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 09:22 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

nah it is terrible looking.
CrawlinClodKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 08:41 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawlinClodKiller View Post
nah it is terrible looking.
Oh CCK, the master of tube. Please show me the error of my ways .. oh wait is your rig running yet?

My Panthers with new foams, Sidewinder w/ link and some replacement batteries are on the way. I just hope I'll have enough thrash time when I get back to get it all together and working before the comp.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:40 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

It is fully assembled and running right now actually. I am just gonna tear it back down for paint. It is nice. I will unveil it at the comp. Course it is supposed to rain alot so it may be flooded out.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:11 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

I hope it don't rain too much. I want to see how yours handles but I think I know already. I still got that unfinshed chassis I can still tweak. I got enough practice at the narrower skids I may try to see how skinny I can make that last chassis. Maybe a 1.9'r just for kicks
Old 06-05-2008, 07:25 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

That chassis worked really good at the last comp. It will be interesting to see how it does with droop and a shorter wheelbase.
tqcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 11:21 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tqcookie View Post
That chassis worked really good at the last comp. It will be interesting to see how it does with droop and a shorter wheelbase.
Well without taking it back down to Fargo and running the same obstacles, I'd say better. The big improvement was the Droop config. The shorter wheelbase just gives me a better turning radius and hasn't seemed to effect anything else. Now to work on that wheel speed issue
Old 06-05-2008, 11:24 AM   #11
RCC Addict

i like it. you should throw a "Monster" symbol on it, it would fit the part lol good job on the build
ADDICT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 11:26 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Hey I'll have a 2S 1100 and a 3S 1100 to give away at the comp on the 15th. We'll do a drawing at the comp for the packs. Maybe you'll win the 2S pack.

And I still love the looks of that thing.

Jason
JAM MaxAmps.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 12:10 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtooyak View Post
i like it. you should throw a "Monster" symbol on it, it would fit the part lol good job on the build
I've got another 'narrow' top variation like this one and a 'wide' top version of this chassis in the pipeline. The wider roof version was gonna get the Monster logo once I get some axles for it .

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM MaxAmps.com View Post
Hey I'll have a 2S 1100 and a 3S 1100 to give away at the comp on the 15th. We'll do a drawing at the comp for the packs. Maybe you'll win the 2S pack.

And I still love the looks of that thing.

Jason
That would be great. My next big parts order is gonna be upgrading my batteries to Lipo. I may pick your brain a little more on the 15th about how big a capacity lipo I can stuff in either of my comp chassis's. I should have both comp tubers running by then. Jay's chassis and my two new ones can fit standard 6 cell subc packs, chassis mounted over the front servo.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:54 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

You will all see alittle orange monster body work at the comp.
Old 06-05-2008, 10:54 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

In the immortal words of Dark Helmet "...lets see how well you handle it."

We'll need something to offset the SNB signature green of my tubers. Maybe I should repaint the Sniper green to match my stable colors.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:43 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Well I'm bored and out of town away from my comp buggy so I figured I post up it's evolution.

This first shot was my stable from when I built my first Scorpion kit. The left rig was my old project Elvis and it's got a thread in the WK section. The right one was my first attempt at a tube chassis. The drive train was from my old Misft series TLT. The TLT stuff is long gone but for some reason I still have whats left of that chassis laying around. It made an appearance in my Sniper buildup/story earlier this year. And last but not least in the center is the Scorpion. The only thing not stock is the body. The kit body went into my Sgt Rock TLT build and thats another different TLT build.

I thought it was fun but I eventually got around to modding it. I came up with this version. I bent my own 30 deg links out of long Revo pushrods and swapped out the stock axial shock springs for some WK ones leftover from my Elvis project. I threw some Moabs at it and weighted the fronts with 3 oz each. I also picked up the front TCS Boomerang mount and 6 cell pack. I aslo threw on a set of TCS rock rings with hardware. Of course it had to have a new shell. I can't live with a body for very long. Boredom equals change and wife who rolls here eyes everytime I mention a new idea for one of my 3 ongoing and ever rotating crawler projects. She even lets me have rocks in the house for cold weather testing. Yup, she's a keeper. The kids on the other hand ... anyone want to trade for 2 teenagers? All I want is another pair of Deans plugs new in the package. OK I'll even take a halfway decent pair of used ones. I'll pay shipping for everything ... PLEASE !!

Old 06-13-2008, 09:38 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Got my Cougars mounted. Tried some of the NTT All-Weather Hybrid Reach foams and they didn't seem to do it for me so I went back stock all the way around. This rig is pretty light with no weight added. It hits the scales at 4lbs 14oz RTR with the new Panthers but without weight in the fronts but the dreaded twist gets annoying. So after a little testing today I dropped in a couple 3oz's in both front wheels and the torque twist went away. Still getting used to the whole memory foam but the Panthers are impressive.

The droop shocks and 11" wheelbase is pretty easy to drive. we'll see how it works at the comp this weekend. I'll have to see what kind of foam and weight tuning I need to do.

Got some new 7 cell packs in and finally got around to adding the velcro straps to hold them in. Not being able to swap packs at the last comp about did me in. The battery literally dumped as I crossed the finish gate on one of the courses. I'm hoping the extra voltage will give me the extra wheel speed I'm needing. If not Lipo's and a brushless motor are already in the planning stages.

Here's a few more recent shots of the current config.

and a nice shot of my cutting board triangulated link/trans mount.