Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: My Latest 2.2 Comp Rig. GC-2 AX10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2008, 03:15 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default My Latest 2.2 Comp Rig. GC-2 AX10

Well, I figured I would post up a thread on this tuck. I bought my GC-2 at the ECC direct from the back of Austin's car. Had I not driven it myself I'd have never bought it. Since I had my SW3 and DCV/Pro, I didn't think it was worth it. But then I saw it in person, and drove one. So I had to own one.

I actually built this truck a couple months back and have been running it a while now. I've gotten two second place finishes in the only two comps it's been in. First comp (which was the first time it was on rocks), second place by 3 points, and the next comp, second place by 1 point, and that was with two repair penalties. So needless to say, this chassis rocks!

I built this almost to Austin's specs, only I pushed the front links out further on the axle and the rear in. I need to upgrade to bent links soon. I have been very impressed with the sidehilling and steep incline climbing capabilities. On inclines where my tuber flips backwards, this truck just keeps going, even when you throttle it, it just kind of sits there lunging, it's hard to flip it over. Another thing I did that I simply Love is my steering setup. I used a dual swivel link and connected it to the servo arm and used solid delrin drilled with allthread through connecting to dubro rod ends. The rods ends are connected to the knuckles using a 1 inch piece of solid rod drilled out. I've never seen this kind of setup before and am very impressed with it, the clearance is great. Aluminum knuckles are required for this to work and it has held up very well.

Here are the specs:

Chassis ..... GC-2
Axles ..... AX10
RCP Aluminum C's and Knuckles
STRC Rear Lockout
FreakStuff Racing lockers
Tranny ..... AX10
Shocks ..... Losi Rock Crawler w/30wt oil
Servo ..... Hitec HS5990TG
Custom steering link setup
Dig ..... VF Dig w/HS225MG Servo
ESC ..... Mamba Max w/CC BEC
Motor ..... 55T Hand Wound
Battery ..... Holmes Hobbies 10 cell split
TX/RX ..... DX3
Wheels ...... Mayhem CDP's
Tires ..... Losi Rock Claws
Body ..... Proline Chevy C10

On to the pics.
Attached Images

Last edited by '04 Rubicon; 06-05-2008 at 06:52 AM.
'04 Rubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-2008, 03:34 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Rub, What kind of shocks are those LOL. super sweet build dude.
JUSTGOINGSLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 10:38 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

listed in specs:
Shocks ..... Losi Rock Claws w/30wt oil
mr_manny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 06:53 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

What? You've never seen those shocks before? Fixed it. Thanks.
Old 06-05-2008, 08:39 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Nice build Rubicon! If I could ever get my trucks done I'd come see it at the next VARCOR comp. I guess building three at once and not having one done wasn't such a good idea afterall.
DSNF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 02:02 PM   #6
RCC Addict

nice job on the steering setup, I would bet that extra clearance helps you out a lot in certain sticky situations
701 Technique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 09:21 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Rub, is your CG2 delrin or aluminum And your steering linkage is awesome, I think I'm going to have to try it.
JUSTGOINGSLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 09:44 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUSTGOINGSLOW View Post
And your steering linkage is awesome, I think I'm going to have to try it.
+3 on that linkage. It looks like it would be better protected like that. Well maybe not on your truck. It looks like it might get tossed around a little.
RC Shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 01:45 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNF1 View Post
Nice build Rubicon! If I could ever get my trucks done I'd come see it at the next VARCOR comp. I guess building three at once and not having one done wasn't such a good idea afterall.
Thanks. You definitely need to come out with us sometime. I know what you mean by multiple builds. I've got 3 trucks running and 3+ more in progress. My 1.9 JK scaler should be done next, or maybe the Berg 2.2, or my 1:6 Gladiator. And what am I going to do with my K2-5, oh yeh, another 2.2 scaler. It never stops man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 701 Technique View Post
nice job on the steering setup, I would bet that extra clearance helps you out a lot in certain sticky situations
Thanks. It is a huge improvement, many less hang up situations for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUSTGOINGSLOW View Post
Rub, is your CG2 delrin or aluminum And your steering linkage is awesome, I think I'm going to have to try it.
It is Delrin. It's very sturdy though, I do have extra braces mounted than comes with the kit, but it may not be necessary. I watched Austin beat the crap out of his, it's tough and light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Shocker View Post
+3 on that linkage. It looks like it would be better protected like that. Well maybe not on your truck. It looks like it might get tossed around a little.
Not sure what you are stating, protect what? If you mean the links don't get in the way and hang up like before, you are 100% correct. If you mean my truck gets beat up, correct again, I don't baby it.

This steering mod is one of my favorites and it is very beneficial as well. I am expecting to see more guys running similar setups soon, but we'll see.

Last edited by '04 Rubicon; 06-06-2008 at 02:37 PM.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:59 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Finally scored a win with the GC-2. After two very close second places, I had to bump up my game. :-P

I did not do anything different to the truck from the last comp. As a matter of fact, all I did was take it out of the backpack I carry it in the day before, charged the batteries, tightened some set screws, and put it back in the bag for the comp. Turned it on before the first course to make sure it worked, and was good to go.

I'm telling you guys, this steering setup is killer. It helps me more and more from keeping the front end getting hung up on everything. I know I saw at least one other truck in the comp that is now also using this same setup.

Now I need to decide if I should keep running this truck in the final VARCOR 2008 series event or if I should try for a win with the Berg 2.2.
Old 06-11-2008, 11:06 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Killer looking rig...Again nice job

Mayhem Eng.
Mayhem Eng. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 11:30 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by '04 Rubicon View Post
Finally scored a win with the GC-2. After two very close second places, I had to bump up my game. :-P

I did not do anything different to the truck from the last comp. As a matter of fact, all I did was take it out of the backpack I carry it in the day before, charged the batteries, tightened some set screws, and put it back in the bag for the comp. Turned it on before the first course to make sure it worked, and was good to go.

I'm telling you guys, this steering setup is killer. It helps me more and more from keeping the front end getting hung up on everything. I know I saw at least one other truck in the comp that is now also using this same setup.

Now I need to decide if I should keep running this truck in the final VARCOR 2008 series event or if I should try for a win with the Berg 2.2.

That is awsome congrats on the great finishes
Gatekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 12:27 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Where did you find a dual swivel link for your steering setup ???
toytech93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 01:04 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Great looking truck!

Dual swivel ball link:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXGWE1&P=7

Dave
dave56bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 03:46 PM   #15
varcor.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by '04 Rubicon View Post
I'm in the same boat. I just got my bergs today and we thinking of swapping my comp rig. You figure alot of guys will be driving bergs at nationals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
Austin, the GC2 is a great chassis. The current top 3 VARCOR drivers are running your chassis!!
swell searcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 08:28 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
Killer looking rig...Again nice job
Mayhem Eng.
Thanks Mayhem. Your CDP's are a Big part of my trucks performance. #1 Comp wheel IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
Thanks Austin. Your chassis kicks ass, the geometry really is stable and keeps my truck grounded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toytech93 View Post
Where did you find a dual swivel link for your steering setup ???
I stumbled across it a few months ago at my LHS when looking for rod ends. I didn't even know such a thing existed but as soon as I saw it, this idea came to mind.
Or as Dave posted , you can get them at towerhobbies here - http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXGWE1&P=7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave56bug View Post
Great looking truck!
Dave
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swell searcher View Post
Austin, the GC2 is a great chassis. The current top 3 VARCOR drivers are running your chassis!!
That's right, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd right now all run GC-2's!
Old 06-12-2008, 09:43 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

I'd like to see a body off shot
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 12:45 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

your rig looks clean i like it
breitenbach14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 08:03 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

Default 2008 VARCOR Series Champion!

Seems like I forgot all about this thread. Been having so much fun with the scaler and really haven't changed anything on this setup. Took it out free crawling maybe two times since my last post and just dusted it off to run the final comp. However, I have to say that this rig still performs awesome.

The last two comps in our VARCOR 2008 series I got 1st place in both of them, and that was against another GC-2 and a Berg 2.2 setup. These wins secured my lead and made me the 2008 VARCOR Point Series Champion with 1st place. Actually, it turned out that going into the last comp of the season, I didn't even have to show up and I still would have won. I don't know how I managed that but even still, I wouldn't miss a comp if I didn't have to. And I was able to win the final comp and cruise into the #1 spot.

The GC-2 chassis, coupled with the Mayhem CDP's, is a true winner. The handling and stability is right one. The VF/DNA dig also considerably helped me make some lines that I never would have been able to. All in all, I have been very satisfied with this truck and hate to not drive it anymore. However, my Berg build is nearly complete, just have to do the wiring and install the electronics and it's off to testing it to dial it in. I'll be keeping this setup as it is, as a backup and course tester. Shafties have their days but I think the Berg is better. We'll see.

Thanks to those that helped send this truck to victory - RPP Hobby, Mayhem Eng, Gatekeeper, RCP, DNA, and Holmes Hobbies.
Old 07-29-2008, 02:10 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

awesome action pics you've got there
GH Racing is offline   Reply With Quote