Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Gatekeeper 2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2008, 08:53 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Gatekeeper 2

Well just pulled the trigger on a gatekeeper 2. I will be upgrading my ax10 to this chassie. I was looking for photos of this chassie on here and only found a few but the ones I saw look awesome. It was either this or a slingshot se. I hope I made the right choice.

Planning on using Losi shocks, HH 7t, mamba max, dx3r, cc bec, hitec 7955, mayhem double phatty, panthers, reach hybrids, and not sure what else.

Last edited by KenDobson; 07-24-2008 at 08:56 PM.
KenDobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2008, 08:55 PM   #2
Keep it real

You made a good choice chassis wise, but good luck stuffing the 7t puller in there. Grab one of Holmes handwound motors instead.
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:04 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanis View Post
You made a good choice chassis wise, but good luck stuffing the 7t puller in there. Grab one of Holmes handwound motors instead.
X2 You will never get the 7t puller in there. What trans are you going to run? Stock or are you getting a disconnect tranny?
Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:12 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

well I am going with axial trans and will change motor out, I just bought it for the ax 10 and havent put it in. So I was hoping it might fit, but I can always order another motor and try and sell the new 7t.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:30 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Hey Ken! Should be an awesome rig when you're done! Let me know if you need any other parts and pieces to complete it .... We've got all the Traxxas links in stock, etc .... Also, you might add a DNA Dig unit, then you'll have a great Comp rig!
JPH Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 11:41 PM   #6
RCC Addict

i have a 7t and love it but it wont fit. just drove a rig with a holmes hobby 35t and it was just as fun. great torque and wheelspeed. i think some people are running the 25t but not sure 35t seems perfect replacement to the 7t imo.
BILLYGOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 12:43 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

I am running the 35T HH motor on just a 6 cell 7.4V pack and I love it. I think that it is plenty of wheelspeed. But I still want a 7T puller just because it would be sweet!!!! But the puller wont fit in the GC-2
robert97dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 01:28 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

you can fit a hh puller motor in the gc2. ive got one in mine you have to shave the chassie a bit and if you move the trans up a 16 of an inch. witch i had to do anyway to fit the vf dig in there and have the suspension operate smoothely.
killa b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 01:35 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Well thats good to know but I just sent back the 7t inexchange for a 35t hh. John was awesome to deal with and I think I will do better not having to reengineer it the first time out. But thanks for the tip on making it fit.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:37 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Any pics of this chassie built up and also what links are you using on the bottom. Are 30deg links on the lower needed or do I just go with the recommended traxxis links?
Old 07-25-2008, 01:44 PM   #11

I’ve got a HH 35T in my SW3 (a 7T won’t fit in the SW3 without modifying the chassis) and couldn’t be happier. I run a 9.6v pack. It has great wheel speed and plenty of low end torque. Much superior to the Integy 55T I replaced.
RJD4CARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 02:05 PM   #12
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenDobson View Post
Any pics of this chassie built up and also what links are you using on the bottom. Are 30deg links on the lower needed or do I just go with the recommended traxxis links?
I was just going to start a build thread on mine this weekend, so I'll have some soon.
I have run the GC-1 and the GC-2 and I truly believe you'll love this chassis, I know I love mine.

Couple of my thoughts:
The 7T puller won't fit, but you'll find that a 35T Holmes Hobbies Handwound will be just great. I run my 35T HHH on 11.1V Lipo and it's perfect.

I used the Traxxas 5319 links on the lowers and bent them to about 40 degrees. This worked out really well. I used the Traxxas 5318 links for uppers.

You will want to order the HPI 85050 Savage shock parts set. Use the longer rod ends and spring cups on your shocks. This will get you a belly clearance of about 2.8" and give you a 12.5" wheelbase with the Traxxas links.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 05:04 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Thanks all helpful stuff, do I use the hpi savage parts on my losi shocks? I went with the hh35t hand wound. I will be controling this with the fxr, was going to go with the mamba but I sure like the size of the fxr.
Old 07-25-2008, 05:16 PM   #14
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Thanks all helpful stuff, do I use the hpi savage parts on my losi shocks? I went with the hh35t hand wound. I will be controling this with the fxr, was going to go with the mamba but I sure like the size of the fxr.
Yes, use the Savage shock rod ends on your Losi shocks. Unless you want to build a belly dragger, but I would recommend the Savage ends to get the belly clearance up.

Either ESC, or the Sidewinder, they are all great choices.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 05:25 PM   #15
Keep it real

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILLYGOAT View Post
i have a 7t and love it but it wont fit. just drove a rig with a holmes hobby 35t and it was just as fun. great torque and wheelspeed. i think some people are running the 25t but not sure 35t seems perfect replacement to the 7t imo.
I was running a HH 25T at Donner, as well as Joseph(Spydermonkee)killer wheelspeed on 10 cells

Nathan
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 05:26 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Here is the link to my building of the GC2.

The Maytag Man GC2

It is now a GC2 with Berg axles. Still testing and tuning, but thinking it should be great fun.

Good luck. The GC2 is a great chassis. I also posted pics of a Slingshot SE next to my GC2. I had both and sold the Slingshot SE and kept the GC2.
wrightcs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 08:44 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

I got my HH 7t in there with only 1/16 of an inch of dremelin, motor acutally stiffened up the chassis/ less chassis flex. I love it wouldnt change it for the world, its deffinatly tight though with the axial tranny, vf dig and hh 7t!

But after running a HH 35t deffinatly go that route It has tons of power put plenty of wheelspeed!

I would go FXR if I were to get another esc!
1981toyotapu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 09:52 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

So I was looking on xrc an am thinking of ordering links. But I am not sure if I need ti or stan or carbon or delrin. I seem to like the bling but what is really needed, and what would be beneficial. Delrin lowers would seem to slide, but they say that the stanless slides well too. Uppers could be carbon or could just be alum traxxis.

What do you guys think, for a full on comp rig.

Thanks
Old 07-26-2008, 09:55 PM   #19
ghetto fabulous newbie

Quote:
So I was looking on xrc an am thinking of ordering links. But I am not sure if I need ti or stan or carbon or delrin. I seem to like the bling but what is really needed, and what would be beneficial. Delrin lowers would seem to slide, but they say that the stanless slides well too. Uppers could be carbon or could just be alum traxxis.

What do you guys think, for a full on comp rig.

Thanks
I would do stainless lowers and CF uppers.
yotachump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 10:47 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotachump View Post
I would do stainless lowers and CF uppers.
Coincidence, I just started making some CF uppers today.
Hopefully JB Weld and CF work well together.
JeepinDoug is offline   Reply With Quote