Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Shimming the ring and pinion?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2008, 05:24 PM   #1

Default Shimming the ring and pinion?

Rebuilding my ARTR and noticed there's alot of side to side play in the entire ring gear/diff case. I had it all assembled but did'nt like the way it sounded. Are there any shims out there or do I want that much slop in the mesh and it will dissapper once I run it?
Thanks
Joiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-2008, 05:30 PM   #2
TEAM MODERATOR

Most hobby shops will have shim kits or different size shim packs available. Whatever size you need,is up to you and depends on what you wanna shim. Shimming the gears up will most definitely help with slack in the drive train and premature wear on gears and other parts.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 06:58 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I'm planning on doing the same once I kill the factory ring and pinion and upgrade to the hardend set. Let me know what you find for shims and what sizes you use. I know associated makes several different kits with .001 thicknesses and that would be what you want but I don't know what the i.d. or o.d. would be.
terrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 07:59 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I run Axial axles, with BonusLine 4130 lockers, axial ring gear, wheelyking pinion gears and pinion shafts.
All that i need to shim is the pinion gear/shaft, i don't need to shim the ring gear/spool at all.
I use Kyosho 5x7mm 0.3 shims. I use two 0.3 shims between the pinion gear and inner bearing, and one more 0.3 shim between the outer bearing and shaft.
This makes for a perfectly tight, no play, super smooth, ring&pinion setup

Remember, I am using WK 6mm pinion shafts/pinion gear, so things will be different if you are using the Axial pinion and shaft...
Trugg is offline   Reply With Quote