Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Opinions of build sheet

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2008, 11:14 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Opinions of build sheet

I'm wanting to get into the RC crawling world and have been lurking for a few weeks, reading and searching when I can. After reading a bunch of opinions, I've narrowed down my parts list and I'm hoping I can get some feedback from you guys, good or bad. If I should consider a part I didn't list, post up and let me know why it's better. Also, I'm trying to keep the total cost down, so consider pricing as well. I'd like a solid platform but not have to spend a fortune - I know it can be done. I'd like to stay around $400.

Platform - Axial Scorpion ARTR.

Motor-

Integy 55t Lathe motor
Integy V10 Rock Crawler 55S

ESC-

Tazer 12T ESC - this is the only one I saw recommended that didn't cost a ton, like the Novak Rooster.

Servo-

Hitec 645 MG
JR Sport ST126MG

Battery pack- I like the idea of the split battery pack on the front axle

TCS 7 cell - would having four cells on one side vs three on the other make any appreciable difference?
Elite 1500 6 cell

I can get a radio for free from a friend.

I'm lost on chargers. Chris The Battery Man said to get a quality one, but I don't know what qualifies as quality.

Lastly, I want to get the 4-link brackets front and rear right away to help with torque twist. After that, I'll just have to get some seat time and break some stuff to see what needs to be upgraded. If you have any suggestions, feel free to lay them on me.

Thanks-
Devinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2008, 12:53 AM   #2

I got my ax10 about a year ago and absolutly love it. Im not to familiar with the ARTR, but if its anything like the kit truck your gonna be happy with it.

I have 2 JR st126's on it and i am very impressed with them, considering they are only 25 bucks a piece.

I got the Novak Rooster Crawler ESC with the 55 turn lathe motor and am very happy them. If your planning on putting rear steer one your truck you might go with the Novak, it has 5 amps of BEC, which means it can turn 2 high torque servos with ease. Al tho i dont know how much the Tazor will have.

As far as batteries go, i think Nicd's and Nimh's are fine, i run old 1500 Nicd's and get about 45 minutes of run time. I would love to upgrade to lipo's but they are so expensive its hard to justify.

Ive heard the 4 link brackets are really good to have, i havent got around to making any yet, its nice having a manual mill. Well i hope this helps you with getting into the crawler world, i think youll get hooked just like everyone else does.
Kevin713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 05:41 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I wouldnt bother with the more expensive motor. You really cant tell a difference unless you get some of the custom wound motors that JPcustoms or HH sells, but those motors will cost you more than double what you have linked to.
The tazer can only handle 6 cells and so you can only get the 2/3A split pack that has 3cells per side. I would buy a good ESC (rooster/7cell or tekin fxr/9cell) and then buy a charger that will charge 8 or 9cells for later on down the road when you want more juice. I bought the cheap stuff first. It lasted a while (1 month) and now its junk because I changed from 6 to 8 cells and it wont charge my 8cell battery packs.
j33pownr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 06:06 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Yup... what he ^ said...

I went cheap a year ago and now I regret it. I got the tazer 12T. There is a horribly long delay between forward and reverse. It does matter.

I got the rooster to replace it... (a good esc) but now I have a motor that requires more juice and would like to run either an 8 cell saddle or 3 cell lipo. To do that I'll have to get another esc.

When I do... I'll have to get another charger because the one I bought only does 2 chemistries...

So think way ahead. Get a charger that does all 3 typical chemistries (nicad, nimh, and lipo)... get a Tekin FXR esc, and then go cheap on your batteries and motor until you can afford to upgrade those.
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 06:18 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Check out this site for batteries and charger. http://www.valuehobby.com/index.php

I bought two of their Gforce 3S 1300mah Lipos and just picked up that charger because it's more versatile than my other Lipo chargers and less expensive too. All for a little over $100.

Also I'm using the Tekin FXR and Tekin 55T motor.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 09:55 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by j33pownr View Post
I wouldnt bother with the more expensive motor. You really cant tell a difference unless you get some of the custom wound motors that JPcustoms or HH sells, but those motors will cost you more than double what you have linked to.
The tazer can only handle 6 cells and so you can only get the 2/3A split pack that has 3cells per side. I would buy a good ESC (rooster/7cell or tekin fxr/9cell) and then buy a charger that will charge 8 or 9cells for later on down the road when you want more juice. I bought the cheap stuff first. It lasted a while (1 month) and now its junk because I changed from 6 to 8 cells and it wont charge my 8cell battery packs.
How can I tell which ESC handles how many batteries? Will the Rooster only handle seven batteries, or seven and under? If I decide to convert to lipos down the road, will it handle those batteries as well? I read the description of the Rooster on RCPlanet and it sounded like it supports lipos, but Harvo (post below) makes it sound like it won't?
Old 08-01-2008, 09:56 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

to check how much an ESC can take check its voltage limit
A 2 cell lipo is 7.4V, a 6 cell nimh is 7.2V and a 7 cell nimh is 8.4V

im personaly gona try to get myself the castle creations sidewinder ESC havent tried it yet but maybe someone can come in and give their views on this ESC.

i recommend the Team Ofna DigiPeak 3 charger.....
200mA~5000mANi-Cd & Ni-MH, 1-14 cells1-4 cells Li-Po
its a AC/DC charger so no power supply required

ive used it and love it, and it equals the price of a normal charger if you add in the price of a power supply

my 2¢

Last edited by BuzzKilla; 08-01-2008 at 10:02 AM.
BuzzKilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 10:00 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreCee View Post
Check out this site for batteries and charger. http://www.valuehobby.com/index.php

I bought two of their Gforce 3S 1300mah Lipos and just picked up that charger because it's more versatile than my other Lipo chargers and less expensive too. All for a little over $100.

Also I'm using the Tekin FXR and Tekin 55T motor.
By "that charger" I'm assuming you're talking about the Loong-Max E6 they have on their cover page?
Old 08-01-2008, 10:08 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzKilla View Post
to check how much an ESC can take check its voltage limit
A 2 cell lipo is 7.4V, a 6 cell nimh is 7.2V and a 7 cell nimh is 8.4V

im personaly gona try to get myself the castle creations sidewinder ESC havent tried it yet but maybe someone can come in and give their views on this ESC.

i recommend the Team Ofna DigiPeak 3 charger.....
200mA~5000mANi-Cd & Ni-MH, 1-14 cells1-4 cells Li-Po
its a AC/DC charger so no power supply required

ive used it and love it, and it equals the price of a normal charger if you add in the price of a power supply

my 2¢
Are most chargers only DC? Then you have to buy a power supply separately? So the one AreCee listed above, it doesn't just plug into the wall to charge your batteries?
Old 08-01-2008, 10:10 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

you dont need to 4 link it.. take that money and put it into a good ESC (tekin fxr , sidewinder , mamba max) i would rather have a little torque twist and good electronics then no torque twist and have double tap reverse and no programability or chance of running bigger batteries(3s lipo!!!) run the ARTR with a stage 2 kit from CKRC and watch it perform
jeeper89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 10:23 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeper89 View Post
you dont need to 4 link it.. take that money and put it into a good ESC (tekin fxr , sidewinder , mamba max) i would rather have a little torque twist and good electronics then no torque twist and have double tap reverse and no programability or chance of running bigger batteries(3s lipo!!!) run the ARTR with a stage 2 kit from CKRC and watch it perform
Double tap reverse? Is that when you have to hit reverse twice to get it to go into reverse?
Old 08-01-2008, 10:26 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Chargers come in AC only, DC only & AC/DC. With AC/DC usually costing more since you dont need a powersupply. I would get an AC/DC because most people dont have a powersupply ready to use for the DC only and one day you will want to charge your batts in the field. The charger listed above looks fine but it doesnot have adjustable amperage or the ability to charge nicd or nimh. You can get a superbrain 989 off ebay for $80-$100 that does everything you will ever need (AC/DC, nicd, nimh, lipo, amp adj, etc...). You could also spend >$150 on a AC/DC hyperion that does the same thing.
j33pownr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 10:27 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devinb View Post
Are most chargers only DC? Then you have to buy a power supply separately? So the one AreCee listed above, it doesn't just plug into the wall to charge your batteries?

well a power supply is a good thing to have and also a very good investment. i have 2 laying around somewhere.... but to anser your question most battery chargers take a DC current , so no they dont just plug into the wall.

but a AC/DC charger can be used at home or on the road with your cars battery (assuming you drive a car)

get whatever suits your needs

Quote:
Originally Posted by j33pownr
The charger listed above looks fine but it doesnot have adjustable amperage or the ability to charge nicd or nimh.
i hope your not refering to the charger i mentioned.

Last edited by BuzzKilla; 08-01-2008 at 10:32 AM.
BuzzKilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 10:54 AM   #14
Rock Stacker

This charger doesn't say what it is, so am I to assume it's DC?
Old 08-01-2008, 11:37 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

I have found that the 6 cells doesn't provide enough voltage to keep a lathe motor happy. I'm looking to upgrade mine to an 8-cell which would be a pretty nice lil upgrade. Pony up a little more money for a sidewinder and a larger battery pack. I garuntee you will be much happier
mockknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 11:44 AM   #16
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mockknight View Post
I have found that the 6 cells doesn't provide enough voltage to keep a lathe motor happy. I'm looking to upgrade mine to an 8-cell which would be a pretty nice lil upgrade. Pony up a little more money for a sidewinder and a larger battery pack. I garuntee you will be much happier
Aren't Sidewinders brushless? Which would mean going to a brushless motor, right? What are the benefits of a brushless system? Do only the motor and ESC have to be brushless, or servo too? Are brushless components in the same price range as brushed?
Old 08-01-2008, 12:05 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
This charger doesn't say what it is, so am I to assume it's DC?
Yes it's DC. Most are DC unless they say AC/DC. AC/DC chargers cost more and in the long run you might consider a power supply so you can have extra flexibility in choosing chargers.

I have a couple power supplies, an OFNA 18A ($99) and a Novak 5A ($40). The Novak's voltage output is on the low side for charging 8 cell packs but the OFNA is more than enough to handle multiple chargers.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:07 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Aren't Sidewinders brushless? Which would mean going to a brushless motor, right? What are the benefits of a brushless system? Do only the motor and ESC have to be brushless, or servo too? Are brushless components in the same price range as brushed?
Sidewinder as many other brushless ESCs can be used in brushed mode with a brushed motor.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:26 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreCee View Post
Sidewinder as many other brushless ESCs can be used in brushed mode with a brushed motor.
Gotcha.

How does the Sidewinder ($67) compare to the Rooster Crawler ($90)?
Old 08-01-2008, 12:36 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Like most have said and I too did the same thing on a few items. Don't skimp on your ESC. I have all the ESC's that have been mentioned, except the FXr. If you are going to enter comps, you will want to kick your rig with that Tazer in there. MM is great. Sidewinder is good too, but you have to buy the CC link kit which adds $25 to the total. Nothing is better than voltage I run 9 cell 2/3a packs with a stock 45t Integy can, love it!! You will see that you will want more wheel speed as you grow with the hobby, guaranteed Having the MM, Sidewinder gives you the option for brushed, brushless and up to 12cell Nimh.

The charger is one thing that you really don't want to skimp on. Cheap chargers generally only do 6-7cell Nimh and Nicd, no lipo's. The ICE, MRC 989(what I have) and the Hyperion chargers are nice. Make sure that they can do most kind of cells and also discharge packs too. I would make sure that it is AC/DC so you can use it at home or off your car battery.
THnCS is offline   Reply With Quote