RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Axial AX-10 Scorpion (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-ax-10-scorpion/)
-   -   slipper issues - help needed (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-ax-10-scorpion/129830-slipper-issues-help-needed.html)

swell searcher 08-02-2008 03:05 PM

slipper issues - help needed

after 4 comps running a slipper in my ax10, i'm having problems now. i can drive around on the flat stuff but as soon as i hit an obstacle, the slipper would just slip. thinking i wore out the pad (35T motor and 8-cell packs), i replaced it. still, the same thing. i looked it at when it's slipping. the outer slipper plate is moving with the motor and the inner slipper plate is just standing still.

any ideas? i'm clueless about slipper clutches.

by the way, i have the spring cranked down to the point the coils are compacted, touching each other. i set them slipper up as per the instructions in the package...

yotachump 08-02-2008 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swell searcher (Post 1286505)
after 4 comps running a slipper in my ax10, i'm having problems now. i can drive around on the flat stuff but as soon as i hit an obstacle, the slipper would just slip. thinking i wore out the pad (35T motor and 8-cell packs), i replaced it. still, the same thing. i looked it at when it's slipping. the outer slipper plate is moving with the motor and the inner slipper plate is just standing still.

any ideas? i'm clueless about slipper clutches.

by the way, i have the spring cranked down to the point the coils are compacted, touching each other. i set them slipper up as per the instructions in the package...

The inner slipper plate is not moving? The one that DOSE NOT have the spur bolted to it?If so sounds like you lost the little pin that keeps the inner plate locked to the shaft.

swell searcher 08-02-2008 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yotachump (Post 1286515)
The inner slipper plate is not moving? The one that DOSE NOT have the spur bolted to it?If so sounds like you lost the little pin that keeps the inner plate locked to the shaft.

it's there since i tore apart the transmission/dna dig to check for wear before installing the new pad. plus, it runs fine on the flat surfaces - just went it attacks an obstacle (cardbox box, small river rocks, etc)...

life_livin 08-02-2008 04:04 PM

could it possibly be the spring has lost its tension(i dont know how to spell it)

BILLYGOAT 08-02-2008 04:36 PM

i had to rough up both the pad and tranny side of the slipper with 120 grit. been working great since then

MCSCOTT 08-02-2008 08:28 PM

Mine brand new with a 45t and 8 cells was like that when I set it up like the instructions say to. Did good on flat ground but try to climb something and it would slip. I ended up tightening it up pretty much all the way, and it does good now and still slips if it's in a big bind.

yotachump 08-02-2008 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MCSCOTT (Post 1286824)
I ended up tightening it up pretty much all the way, and it does good now and still slips if it's in a big bind.

Its suppose to slip in a bind:lol:

MCSCOTT 08-02-2008 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yotachump (Post 1286829)
Its suppose to slip in a bind:lol:

I know that, I meant I had to have it tightened up all the way for it to work right. :ror:

swell searcher 08-02-2008 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BILLYGOAT (Post 1286588)
i had to rough up both the pad and tranny side of the slipper with 120 grit. been working great since then

i'm going try that tomorrow...

Quote:

Originally Posted by MCSCOTT (Post 1286824)
Mine brand new with a 45t and 8 cells was like that when I set it up like the instructions say to. Did good on flat ground but try to climb something and it would slip. I ended up tightening it up pretty much all the way, and it does good now and still slips if it's in a big bind.

that's how many was for the past 3 or so comps... i basically had the spring compressed...

Trugg 08-03-2008 12:11 AM

you could try a stiffer spring...

swell searcher 08-11-2008 12:04 PM

figured it out... the spur gear was fubar. about 1/3 of the tooth on the kimbourgh spur gear was deformed. probably from a combo of 35t motor, 9.6v/11.1v, and my rock racing style of driving. spurs are cheap so i can't complain. and yes the mesh with the robinson racing pinion was correct (paper method).

5150bronco 10-10-2008 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yotachump (Post 1286515)

could this still happen if you are tightening the nut down on the shaft where the spring is and the nut keeps spinning and not getting tighter? thanks.

Narly1 10-10-2008 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5150bronco (Post 1376839)
could this still happen if you are tightening the nut down on the shaft where the spring is and the nut keeps spinning and not getting tighter? thanks.

In other words meaning you have stripped the transmission input shaft threads or the nut threads?

YES!

Narly1

5150bronco 10-10-2008 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Narly1 (Post 1376899)
In other words meaning you have stripped the transmission input shaft threads or the nut threads?

YES!

Narly1

what really? Okay. so buy new shaft. The shaft should sit flush with the entire nut screw on, right? The shaft should not go only half into the nut?

thanks.

5150bronco 10-10-2008 11:08 AM

What do you do if the nut does not tighten down?

How much of the shaft should go through the nut?

thanks. "thumbsup"

Narly1 10-10-2008 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5150bronco (Post 1377168)
What do you do if the nut does not tighten down?

How much of the shaft should go through the nut?

thanks. "thumbsup"

If the nut is not tightening down than either the nut is stripped or the tranny input shaft is stripped. The strippage could have occured at any point along the threaded length of the shaft so the position of the nut on it is irrelevant.

Start by inspecting both parts for damage. If you can't figure out which part is bad from that then remove the inner and outer slipper halves + slipper pad + spring + any washers. Then try running the nut up and down the shaft threads. Do this while keeping the shaft from turning and see if the nut hangs somewhere on the threads.

Narly1