Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: bent links

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2008, 04:44 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default bent links

why would you not run bent links in the front. binding,torque twist,
hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2008, 04:47 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

I never understood that either. I run bent all the way around on mine and have never had an issue with it.
ElkySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 04:50 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

nvm im and idiot

Last edited by U$edUpH00ker; 08-24-2008 at 04:58 PM.
U$edUpH00ker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 04:51 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I think that's kind of like saying "Why wouldn't you run dig?" I don't think it's because the people are against bent links, I think they just don't think it's important or don't want to spend the money on it, if that makes any sense.

I think it's important to run them all the way around to get the most ground clearance that you can get.
CharliesTheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 04:57 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by U$edUpH00ker View Post
i think ppl hu run rear only never thought of reversing
huh what'd you say
Old 08-24-2008, 04:58 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

i got all 4 mainly because my lhs had 2 for 15.99 and i was ordering a sh*tton of stuff off tcs and they had 4 for 15.99 so y the hell not get 4
U$edUpH00ker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 06:18 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

I'm actually looking at ways to not need the bent links. I want to maintain my ground clearance and still try and drop my ride height a bit. I want to keep my driveshafts hidden under the links as well so when I ge caught up on a rock or something I don't have the driveshafts catching and moving me where I don't want to go.
Scottmisfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 07:08 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

believe me you'd rather be stuck on the drive shaft than those sticky links. I've got my drive shaft clocked enough that it doesn't play that much of a role in crawling but it will hit before my links will. links hit your just stuck. driveshaft hits it slides on rocks better because its plastic and it moving in my opinion is something that helps rather than hurts. I just figure if something is going to bottom out might as well be something slick and moving.
just my .02
Jkelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 07:21 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkelley05 View Post
believe me you'd rather be stuck on the drive shaft than those sticky links. I've got my drive shaft clocked enough that it doesn't play that much of a role in crawling but it will hit before my links will. links hit your just stuck. driveshaft hits it slides on rocks better because its plastic and it moving in my opinion is something that helps rather than hurts. I just figure if something is going to bottom out might as well be something slick and moving.
just my .02
yea i agree with every thing your saying. i just see alot of top shelf crawlers"2.2" with straight links in the front. and im not understanding the thought process
Old 08-24-2008, 07:39 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

I run bent in the rear and straight in the front for one reason only!

if your bent links are level with your skid then technically that makes your skid longer, so I keep straight ones in the front so they have a little bit of an angle to slide easier on, but in the back I go with bent to allow my rear tires to get closer to the ledges to climb over easier!

I run this setup on both of my rigs and would not run them any other way!

for camparison:
my buddy runs his with bent front and rear and I can climb over ledges and other obstacles that cause you to drag your skid much easier than he can!
Mac10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 07:54 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

cool i see what your sayin.does it not try to lift the front tires when its on the the front links
Old 08-24-2008, 08:17 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

I ran the bent links up front for a while too and I switched to the straight links up front and I like it better. As stated above they are angled more so if it hit a rock it will slide down it and hit the bottom of the chassis. Instead of with the bent links it would catch the links and then hang up on the front of the chassis.
robert97dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 08:34 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

I had bent link front and rear for the longest time. Mine were flat to the skid and ride hight was really high. I was fine with that untill my LHS (JAKES) last comp. He had a crazy bed liner side hill that my truck was just to high. So I went home put some 3/8 spacers in the shocks (losi) and put on my stock links front and rear. My truck sits a lot lower, the links are in line with the skid and my drive shafts are pertty straight. It side hills a lot better now alot lower CG.
bluc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 08:36 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

not in all cases. i run bent links in the front and when i coming off of a ledge, either way your suspension will droop down from the weight causing the rig to slide off anyway. especially if your weighted down in the front. gravity always wins. but thats just my rig
SCORPIAN670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 07:09 PM   #15

i've had a problem with my bent links pushing the spring retainers off the shocks. i don't have the problem with stock springs, but i've run losi whites and already lost one spring retainer. it helps if you get the angled rod ends but there is still clearance issues.

i also inboarded the shocks at the axles and it helps, but does not eliminate the problem.

Al
Al's Chop Shop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 07:57 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

my rear shocks are upside down & out boarded they want hit my links