Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: S T Racing concepts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2008, 09:04 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default S T Racing concepts

I just bought Knuckles / Hub carriers and rear axle lockout kit from them . WOW what a let down. 1st The Knuckles, the axle bearings have way to much play. 2nd the play between the c hubs and the knuckles is insane, The front tires just flop around . I have GH knuckles and hubs on my other axial and they fit awsome. 3rd the rear axle lock out kit has tons of side to side slop. my stock Artr has way less and that stuff is cheap plastic. This is just a heads up before some one else goes and blows there money on parts.
clayton78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-2008, 09:10 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Thanks for the heads up.
fixed13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 09:13 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I bought mine a while back and rear lockouts do seem to have quite a bit of slop in them. Not to happy about that. I have there fron Knuckles and C-hubs. They seem fine to me.
Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 09:47 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I run all the strc stuff and it works fine. To get rid of the slop get some 5x10 teflon washers. They dont add any drag, but get rid of the side-to-side play. I run the racers edge ones, and they work great

Last edited by Whirlybird; 08-28-2008 at 09:50 PM.
Whirlybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 12:28 AM   #5
Im Brandon

Im running them as well. A few washers fixed the problem with the rear straight axle adapters and they work great. I had no slop on the front knuckles and hubs.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 01:42 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Never tried the rear lockout but I currently have the C-HUB and the knuckles and they are pretty well put together... no slop to report on my end. Also, spoke with a CKRC rep. once and he was very friendly and of course very helpful. Perhaps a well written email will rid you of your problems.
mcho78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 05:58 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Its the tolerance between the axle bearing and the knuckle . The bearings are so loose in the knuckle I can caster and camber the tire a 1/2" both ways. The tire just flops around. I mounted the stock knuckles back on the c hubs and it seems to be back to normal. The rear axle I,ll just shim that. The rig i just inatalled this stuff on is brand new, stright out the box. So its not some ones worn out mess. and Thanks for the Info Guys.
Old 08-29-2008, 06:18 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

That's not good.

I'm running the STRC lockouts, lockers, C hubs, Knuckles, bent links in the half bent and end bend versions, the whole color kit, and I was running a skid plate from them. I would have no issues buying any of it over agin from them. I'm not having any of the poblems you're experiencing. Neither are the half a dozen guys or so that I run with. I was working in a shop that we sold this stuff at and out of the 100 set's of C's and knuckles I think we had 3 or 4 people come back for exchanges on the stuff because of that and then they were happy again.

Maybe contact them and see what they say.
Scottmisfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 04:38 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayton78 View Post
I just bought Knuckles / Hub carriers and rear axle lockout kit from them . WOW what a let down. 1st The Knuckles, the axle bearings have way to much play. 2nd the play between the c hubs and the knuckles is insane, The front tires just flop around . I have GH knuckles and hubs on my other axial and they fit awsome. 3rd the rear axle lock out kit has tons of side to side slop. my stock Artr has way less and that stuff is cheap plastic. This is just a heads up before some one else goes and blows there money on parts.
Are you sure that you installed the kingpin bushings correctly(the bushings that go between the c-hub and the steering knuckle)???? With the bushings facing the wrong directions you WOULD have a LOT of play ...With the bushings facing the correct direction you shouldn't have any play.
Trugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 07:29 AM   #10
RCC Addict

I also use STRC's stuff and its awesome. Make sure you have the bushings for your knuckles installed from the inside of the "C". And as far as there rear lockouts go I used OFNA .03mm shims and there is no play in my axles. STRC makes awesome products.
JUSTGOINGSLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 07:57 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Nope There installed right. I had to use two 20 pack of team crc shims 7 on the axles, 2 on top and bottom of the c hubs. and the rest in the rear axle kit. Plus used locitite rc/609 retaining compound around the outer races of the bearings to take up the slop. My other axial has gh stuff and all of it fits perfect no slop.
Old 08-30-2008, 08:00 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Nope There installed right. I had to use two 20 pack of team crc shims 7 on the axles, 2 on top and bottom of the c hubs. and the rest in the rear axle kit. Plus used locitite rc/609 retaining compound around the outer races of the bearings to take up the slop. My other axial has gh stuff and all of it fits perfect no slop.
Clayton, you should try and get ahold of Steve Wang at STRC, there customer service is second to none.
JUSTGOINGSLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 08:40 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Yup tryed . No word from anyone . Ive been in this hobby (r/cs) for 20 years now and my buddy ownes a local hobby that he has had opened for at least 30 years. and neither of us cound beleive this. That machining is and Quality is real nice. the parts look awsone on my rig. but the tolerances are just off. I dont know if it was a F up in the anodizind process or what.
Old 08-30-2008, 04:03 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

thanks for the heads up
tedmales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 05:01 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whirlybird View Post
I run all the strc stuff and it works fine. To get rid of the slop get some 5x10 teflon washers. They dont add any drag, but get rid of the side-to-side play. I run the racers edge ones, and they work great
Please tell me where you place the washer that gets rid of the slop and not cause the wheel hex to bind on the STRC Lockout face...

I Have the Wheel lock out also, Lots of Slop.. I tried to place a washer on the axle shaft next to the wheel bearing and it causes the wheel hex to bind on the face as it moves the wheel hex pin closer to the face of the lockout by the thickness of the washer... Not to happy so far
1v6pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 05:17 PM   #16
tjb
Rock Crawler

Quote:
the rear axle lock out kit has tons of side to side slop. my stock Artr has way less and that stuff is cheap plastic. This is just a heads up before some one else goes and blows there money on parts.
I have had the rear lockouts since they came out, get rid of the glorified wood screw crap, and run M3 capheads, and a slight counter sink on the lockout and it will fix the slop. As far as the knuckles go I have ran them and have had no slop or anything, they are great fit.......
tjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 05:26 PM   #17

Me and my dad run RCP knuckles,C's and straight axles on ours and they are AWESOME. I bolted mine up with no problem and they work very good.
FULLTHROTTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 05:39 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

I put a set of STRC C's and knuckles on one of my rigs, and I didn't have any slop at all. The rear straight axle had a tiny bit of play but was corrected with a few shims. I liked my STRC parts so much that I just ordered two more complete sets of axle parts for a few of my other rig. I would give STRC a call about the problem that you're having, because it seems to be a fairly isolated problem, and they have EXCELLENT customer service. STRC is one of the better companies that I deal with on a daily basis.
CharliesTheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 07:38 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Yup l like my st so much I just ordered GH knuckles and c hubs. I am just not going to mess a round with the hassle. Plus gh has a lifetime replacement. I dont meam to sound like a dick. But there stuff looks nice,Its just not for me.
Old 08-31-2008, 12:09 AM   #20
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Yup l like my st so much I just ordered GH knuckles and c hubs. I am just not going to mess a round with the hassle. Plus gh has a lifetime replacement. I dont meam to sound like a dick. But there stuff looks nice,Its just not for me.
Hi clayton,

Sorry to hear about the problems you're having, but I don't believe I've received a PM or an email from you. All of our items are mass manufactured and of course QCed before leaving the factory, however, it doesn't mean every one of them are going to be perfect. Let me know what color the knuckle and hub carrier you have, and we'll see if we can make this right for you I suspect it's not so much the hub carrier is giving you problem, but just the fit of the bearing inside the knuckles that's making things more sloppy than you want. There could be the possibility a bit of play between the Axial axles and the bearing as well. Feel free to email me if you like:

Stevewang@teamstrc.com

Sincerely,

Steve Wang

Last edited by teamstrc; 08-31-2008 at 12:11 AM.
teamstrc is offline   Reply With Quote