Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Rear Steer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2008, 03:45 PM   #1

Default Rear Steer

so i want rear steer on my axial. I don't care about comp, so a dig is out of the question. Nothing is cooler than rear steer. What is best route controller wise? I was looking at a Futaba 3PM with FAST 2.4 ghz. I sure you guys will say spectrum. I am not spending more than $200 on a controller if possible. I have also rear about a punk 4ws steer controller. what is that and where do i get one. With rear steer is there a device that will allow me to steer indepently. I want to be able to steer both opposite and same of front tires.

Last edited by lifttec999; 09-02-2008 at 03:46 PM. Reason: richie sombora
lifttec999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2008, 05:02 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

my jr xs-3 does that. does 2ws, 4ws, and crab. just gotta push one or two buttons to switch between the 3.
twig8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 05:19 PM   #3
RCC Addict

I have that radio...works great. One switch and u go from 2ws to 4ws and another button you can crab walk
Deezul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 05:42 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

all you need is a 3 ch. radio and receiver. The only thing is the 3rd. channel switch has to be a 3 pos. switch. I've got a Jr sport XR3 FM. NOT THE XR3I it only has a 2 pos. but there are lots of them out there. You could go with the traxxas tq3 with the 3 pos. mod. You can pull one of those off for about 40 bucks and most people like them. But I believe they are AM. Possible exessive glitching. But the XR3 is my recommendation.
Jkelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 11:24 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I'd say if your spending the money on a controller may as well bite the bullet and get something that will support whatever you want to do.

3 channel is not enough IMO. You want rear steer and dig, not a choice between them...why limit yourself to just one.

Later when you realize that clod style axles are way better then driveshafts and a transmission you can go independent front and rear throttle control. That is actually WAY better then a 3pos dig.

If your going to stick with the hobby I would say invest in a good 4+ channel TX. You can get a DX7 (7 channel) for $300 and the difference between it and the 3ch radios is night and day.
Dynamic^Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 05:17 AM   #6

hmm i do like the price and all the features but i'm not sure i'm a twin stick kind of guy. Also what are the dimensions of that thing? it looks huge.

Last edited by lifttec999; 09-03-2008 at 05:22 AM. Reason: hot pockets
lifttec999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 10:29 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Its not that big. In fact its considerably smaller then the dx6i. If I had to guess 8" x 6" not counting antenna. Sticks allow for much more throttle precision then a gun.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:56 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I was looking at a Futaba 3PM with FAST 2.4 ghz. I sure you guys will say spectrum.
The 3PM is actually a really good crawler radio. It has a lot going for it. I am a JR/Spektrum whore, but I agree with this radio.

Pro's ...

Inexpensive. - good for crawling as your not as worried about getting it a little dirty.
Does what you want (2ws, 4ws, 4w crab.)
Long battery life.
It's on 2.4ghz.

Con's ...

Hard to program, Futaba and "intuitive" do not go hand in hand. ..thats all I can really think of...you'll want to hang onto the manual for this one.
Desolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 05:41 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by twig8 View Post
my jr xs-3 does that. does 2ws, 4ws, and crab. just gotta push one or two buttons to switch between the 3.

How do you set up a JR XS3 pro to rear steer?
Can this be done .
please chip in if you know?
p01rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 06:21 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

The crappy way to do it is to use your aux trim to steer the rear. That way is horrible as it takes a long time.

Really your 3rd channel with that radio only has a 2 pos switch. If it had a 3pos switch you could atleast have full right center and full left, however this is not the case with your radio.

I have the same radio that sits on the shelf and gathers dust. You can do it with trim but its more annoying then it is helpful.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:59 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamic^Cipher View Post
The crappy way to do it is to use your aux trim to steer the rear. That way is horrible as it takes a long time.

Really your 3rd channel with that radio only has a 2 pos switch. If it had a 3pos switch you could atleast have full right center and full left, however this is not the case with your radio.

I have the same radio that sits on the shelf and gathers dust. You can do it with trim but its more annoying then it is helpful.
Thanks ...I guess I'll pick up a traxxas radio or see if I can mod my xs3 with a 3 position switch.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:00 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamic^Cipher View Post

Thanks ...I guess I'll pick up a traxxas radio or see if I can mod my xs3 with a 3 position switch like people do with the traxxas radio.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:51 PM   #13

i use the traxxas tq3 which is am for my crawler and it works great i only get a glitch wheni put my outrunner in with my mm at high speeds. but i dont use the outrunner the low end isnt smooth enough for what im doing. with a brushed motor i get zero glitches. you can use the stock switch on the tq3 for rear steer its kinda tricky tho as you have to hold the switch in the middle for 2ws but its not that bad. i just havent gotten around to doing the 3 position switch mod to it yet so thats how i do my rear steer.

the only thing with the tq3 is the recevier is pretty big so you gonna need room to mount it
ax10ny is offline   Reply With Quote