Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Doc J33P's 2008.5 Comper

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2008, 12:33 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Any tips on those "Custom Delrin, allthread, Revo links - thanks OffRoader5 " It looks like they sould hold up a long time.
70duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2008, 01:36 PM   #22
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70duncan View Post
Any tips on those "Custom Delrin, allthread, Revo links - thanks OffRoader5 " It looks like they sould hold up a long time.
What do you need? What tips?
  • 8/32" All thread from Home Depot/Lowe's/LHS
  • Revo Large end links - get at least 2 bags
  • Delrin - you can either get solid rod and drill the ends or get the hollow kind from McMaster Carr.
  • I bought 5 pieces for like $20 bucks and they ship in a huge ol paper tube. Black Delrin Tube, 1/4"od, 1/8"id, 5’ Length.
  • If you want to be really anal grab a 8/32" tap and tap the Revo ends.
  • Cut your all thread and add the ends to the length that you will run when they are finally made up.
  • Make copies.
  • Cut delrin to length and drill out holes in consecutive sizes until the all thread fits through.
  • Note, this can be a pain if you have no other means but a drill and your hands. I made about 4-5 blisters from delrin burns.
  • After a while i just cut the delrin longer so that I could hold it in a pair of pliers and then drill right through it.
They are strong as hell, cheap to replace, and look way better than anything aluminum or steel. Plus they slide better on the rocks.

Last edited by O.C.D.; 09-04-2008 at 01:51 PM.
O.C.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 03:27 PM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Thank you, it realy helps to know what parts to get and where to get them. I am going to make some for my super. Could you also tell me how you angled the ends. Did you bend the all-thread?
70duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 04:59 PM   #24
RCC Addict

I bent the all thread and it was hard, lol. But i have some crazy Steering throw!!!
Old 09-04-2008, 06:38 PM   #25
Holdin my 40oz.

Where are you guys in the pic with all the holes in the rocks
Ralphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 06:56 PM   #26
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

That came out real nice. Your parts list is alot like mine. I just need to get my hands on a dig and some REAL shafts that won't quit on me.

There's not enough scratches on the lid yet.....I don't think you're being hard enough on it...you'd better send it to me
Offroader5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 04:32 AM   #27
I wanna be Dave

I have a set up question for you.

My Widow has a tendancy to lift a front wheel alot. It always drives out of it though pretty predictably. I am running Maxx shocks sprung with soft in front and pretty hard in the rear.... and very little weight in my front wheels. I have seen another BW handle like this too.

I think I could either add more weight or soften the springs in the rear to get flex instead of lift... but I'm not sure I need to.
  • What are you running for weight in the wheels?
  • And does your chassis lift a tire very often?
Thanks
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 09:26 AM   #28
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikax10 View Post
Where are you guys in the pic with all the holes in the rocks
We are at Palmer Park in Colorado Springs. Great place to drive. That was my first time though. Going back for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offroader5 View Post
That came out real nice. Your parts list is alot like mine. I just need to get my hands on a dig and some REAL shafts that won't quit on me.

There's not enough scratches on the lid yet.....I don't think you're being hard enough on it...you'd better send it to me
Ha ha, there are scratches my friend. Especially when I flipped and let out the power on the Cobalt while trying to right her up.

Yup, get a dig. I cannot believe how effective they are. I will never run a rig without one now. Sharp turns, burns, hanging off ledges, etc... The VF is top notch.

I luckily never stressed a shaft yet?! I did on carpet when I bound her up but that was it. I am still going to do the Maxx Shaft mod as I want 100% strength from her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvo View Post
I have a set up question for you.

My Widow has a tendancy to lift a front wheel alot. It always drives out of it though pretty predictably. I am running Maxx shocks sprung with soft in front and pretty hard in the rear.... and very little weight in my front wheels. I have seen another BW handle like this too.

I think I could either add more weight or soften the springs in the rear to get flex instead of lift... but I'm not sure I need to.
  • What are you running for weight in the wheels?
  • And does your chassis lift a tire very often?
Thanks
Mine does lift a little but to a point I can predict when it is unstable or will roll. What I mean is that to me when it does this it is too close to rolling and I like it. I am running MSD's with Hybrid foams. They are pretty heavy and have no added weights. I am however going to ad a couple of ounces so that I have more crawl over capability.

I am running a Traxxas Gray spring in the right rear with my Losi's. I have a 50 weight oil in that shock and 30 on the left. 20 up front on both. Like I mentioned, I do lift a little but I like it. When she is fully bound up though that Traxxas will give all the way.

I love the setup!!!
Old 09-05-2008, 03:36 PM   #29
I wanna be Dave

That's about what mine does. It's the strangest thing. It lifts up to the brink, then settles back down instead of rolling. I just wasn't sure if it was my setup or something common to the BW.
Old 09-05-2008, 04:33 PM   #30
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc J33P View Post
I am sorry I cannot report on the lipo yet. I think I am going to sell it as I have more than enough power with the 8 cell. I can't imagine what lipo would be like with my setup..

for me, running a lipo is not Just about power. thats actually the last reason to run one.

it is about having constant, even discharge throughout the whole run. also, they dont weigh much at all, which allows you to keep your weight in the tires (down low). you can get killer runtimes from low mah batteries. depending on my location, i can get over 3hrs of runtime off of a 2100 lipo.

doc, wait untill you get some more "seat time" and you will go lipo too.

mtnyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 04:38 PM   #31
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc J33P View Post

What da ya think MtnYote? lol

Jon
this is a mandatory dig situation
mtnyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 05:15 PM   #32

Can you get your body fitted low on that chassis, doc? Bit hard to judge from your pictures how low you have mounted it. I feel like the body is fitted a bit high on the stock chassis. And as I am considering a new chassis, Id like one where I can have the body looow. Think it makes the crawler look meaner and leaner! So anyway, lol, hows yours fitted? As low as possible?

Edit:
I guess that also ground clearance plays a part here, doesnt it?

Last edited by supah; 09-05-2008 at 05:26 PM.
supah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 06:37 PM   #33
I wanna be Dave

You can slam it really low with this chassis. Of course that is if you can keep your electronics and dig servo low. I'll try to get a pic up in a few, but with my test body, the tops of the tires are at or above the hood line.