Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: SPV2 - FLM Chassis Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2008, 07:36 PM   #41
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampedeproject View Post
3 3/8" from the top of the stock skid/tranny plate to the bottom of the roof brace
2" from the top of the stock skid/tranny plate to the bottom of the hood/ lower windshield brace.

I was planning on doing a mount something like this. Still working on the design. The holes are definitely there for mounting.
i love this thing i want it bad i think in the next couple weeks im going to buy it you have made something great how low can you get your gc with this chassis
whitetshirtguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2008, 07:59 PM   #42
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetshirtguy View Post
i love this thing i want it bad i think in the next couple weeks im going to buy it you have made something great how low can you get your gc with this chassis
Thanks. You can get the CG pretty stinking low. Holmes made the comment that at approximately 5 oz it's one of the lightest chassis that does not require you to use a body which means less mass up top and more of your weight lower.

I am really bouncing off the walls to see and hear about some builds to see what you guys think. Looks like at least one retailer has them listed along with FLM. RCP and Holmes have said they will pick them up as well.

Looks like the SPV2-81 (direct swap for the AX10) will be the one most people stock however there has been a surprising interest in the super holey SPV1-81. The Berg guys will want the SPV*-55 versions for narrower chassis. Drop you favorite vendor and email I was told they should be available this week for shipping to retailers.

I have more part designs I just sent off the FLM, so hopefully by the end of the month I will have more parts to post.
stampedeproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 08:26 PM   #43

hi 2 everyone!,im kind off new in crawling and i love ittttttt,got a scorpion
(kit) and a spectrum blaa bla blaa.i v been looking at all kind off chassis for my crawler and BANG!,frigging awesome, its big and ill be ordering one in the next few weeks but i cant decide on wich model .can the lower links can be mount inboard?
thanx and keep the good works for all the builders out there.:-P
pantherr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 08:46 PM   #44
Rock Crawler

Thanks. Take a look around, this forum is awesome and quite frankly the resource I have used to make my design decisions for this chassis.

As noted above I have designed a couple new part files sent into FLM, hopefully I will be able to answer you inboard link question in a week or so.

All the holes for stock and comp adjustability are there on the SPV2-81 and unless you need to run Revo shocks, or some special link situation you probably don't need all the holes the (super holey) SPV1-81 provides.
Old 09-16-2008, 11:33 PM   #45
RCC Addict

I was wondering about how much space you have in the front of the trans. Im using the servo mount designed for the R2D and really like being able to put it on, set it up all outside of the rig then drop it all in as a whole. Anywho got pics of the space on the front side of the trans...... oh and Im assuming with the "direct axial swap" chassis the width of the skid is same as factory so I can use my RC4WD R2D skid??
JokersWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 11:42 PM   #46
Quarry Creeper

Ok, Mr. Arnold, those last pics just put me over. When I get the funds, I believe this chassis will be on my to buy list.
zoojunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 09:57 PM   #47
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokersWild View Post
I was wondering about how much space you have in the front of the trans. Im using the servo mount designed for the R2D and really like being able to put it on, set it up all outside of the rig then drop it all in as a whole. Anywho got pics of the space on the front side of the trans...... oh and Im assuming with the "direct axial swap" chassis the width of the skid is same as factory so I can use my RC4WD R2D skid??
Old 09-19-2008, 11:22 AM   #48

I see your from Omaha. Is there a LHS there that will carry them. I travel thru Omaha regularly and could pick one up there possibly. By the way, did I say I love it?
turner3123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 12:14 PM   #49
I wanna be Dave

Very nice work! Interesting design...
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 02:20 PM   #50
Quarry Creeper

I like that. It's good to see that you chose the right person to test/ give feedback on your chassis!
tsaun987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 10:41 AM   #51
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I was wondering about how much space you have in the front of the trans. Im using the servo mount designed for the R2D and really like being able to put it on, set it up all outside of the rig then drop it all in as a whole. Anywho got pics of the space on the front side of the trans...... oh and Im assuming with the "direct axial swap" chassis the width of the skid is same as factory so I can use my RC4WD R2D skid?? UPDATE?.....
Sorry, out on vacation in Napa and my wife unplugged me from the internet for the duration. Something about OCD, needing to relax, ...etc.

A. Are you wanting the measurement from the top of the tranny case to the lower window or the distance from the spur to the window gear?

B. Yes the SPV*-81mm versions are stock width so you can use your stock 81mm width tranny mount. The SPV*-55mm are strictly for Clod/Berg style builds.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:52 AM   #52
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by turner3123 View Post
I see your from Omaha. Is there a LHS there that will carry them. I travel thru Omaha regularly and could pick one up there possibly. By the way, did I say I love it?
The design is licensed to FLM - Fast Lane Machine who is a manufacturer out of St Louis. They do sell direct however they prefer to sell through a retailer. Holmes Hobbies should have some or have some soon. I would say for the moment you are going to have to pick up one via mail order. HobbyTown USA is about the only game in town and I don't think they carry FLM products in Omaha.
Old 09-23-2008, 01:17 PM   #53
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampedeproject View Post
Sorry, out on vacation in Napa and my wife unplugged me from the internet for the duration. Something about OCD, needing to relax, ...etc.

A. Are you wanting the measurement from the top of the tranny case to the lower window or the distance from the spur to the window gear?

B. Yes the SPV*-81mm versions are stock width so you can use your stock 81mm width tranny mount. The SPV*-55mm are strictly for Clod/Berg style builds.

Ah no worries, wanting to know the distance between the front of the trany and the lower front windshield bar. I run my servo on my R2D on the front side of the trans standing up vertical, so the servo and bracket is sitting around a 1/4 in above the R2D and its about 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 tall. Im sure if this poses a problem the lower bar for the front windshield can be moved. I run my set up in this orentation so trans and dig set up is had outside of the rig and then the whole set up is dropped in. Saving on trying to set up in the rig
Old 09-23-2008, 01:27 PM   #54
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

I have some of the version two on order now, 81mm standoffs. I'm not sure if they are cut yet, there was one more change I wanted done to the hood before they are produced.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 06:16 PM   #55
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Ah no worries, wanting to know the distance between the front of the trany and the lower front windshield bar. I run my servo on my R2D on the front side of the trans standing up vertical, so the servo and bracket is sitting around a 1/4 in above the R2D and its about 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 tall. Im sure if this poses a problem the lower bar for the front windshield can be moved. I run my set up in this orentation so trans and dig set up is had outside of the rig and then the whole set up is dropped in. Saving on trying to set up in the rig
A front to back measurement to the inside of the lower front windshield bar:
1 3/8" from the center split of the tranny
3/4" from the front face of the motor mount plate
7/8" from the back of the motor mount plate.

And also from the previous post.
3 3/8" from the top of the stock skid/tranny plate to the bottom of the roof brace
2" from the top of the stock skid/tranny plate to the bottom of the hood/ lower windshield brace.
Old 10-03-2008, 10:56 PM   #56
Rock Crawler

Since I figured I should have a final production SPV2-81 version showing up after all the initial orders are filled, I pulled off the test chassis and dropped on a the last SPv2-81 prototype and snapped a couple more picks. Then gave it a good thrashing. Enjoy the poser pics.

I omitted side body panel for this build. For comps you don't need all the extra top body panels, just a hood, roof, and side panels, but I though it would look cool.

The paint by the way, I did just by laying door screen down, misting with black then following with red then backed in white - not a bad carbon fiber fake.

One of the things I am really liking is all the adjustment on the chassis especially with the shocks.

Old 10-07-2008, 12:39 AM   #57
Pebble Pounder

I just purchased one of this and I was wandering about those body panel. where can i get one of those body panel? I can wait for it to come...
microamd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 11:46 AM   #58
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by microamd View Post
I just purchased one of this and I was wandering about those body panel. where can i get one of those body panel? I can wait for it to come...
The body panels shown is just a 80mm width piece of scrape Lexan bent to match up with the body posts. The paint that makes it look like Carbon Fiber/Graphite was don just by hand painting "SPV2" in red paint, backing that in black with the airbrush. The rest of the body was really simple. Lay down some door screen spray with black paint, remove, spray with red paint, then pack with white. That was it.

Looking forward to seeing your build thread.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:56 AM   #59
Rock Crawler

For everyone that was asking when they will be up for sale, it appears Holmes has some of the SPV2 AX10 bolt up replacements available.

Fast Lane Machine SPV2 Chassis
Old 10-17-2008, 09:30 PM   #60

Tony: Great chassis design I really like the looks of it. I placed my order with Holmes to day. I hope to get it before I go back out on the road for another month or two. I plan on doing body panels for it and also I am thinking about some body post so I can run it with my Baja Bug bodies as well. It looks like it should be no problem with a bit of creative tinkering. Again thanks to you ,Holmes and FLM for the great work.
Daytona952 is offline   Reply With Quote