Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Noise when in reverse??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2008, 06:45 PM   #1

Default Noise when in reverse??

I just had my AX10 out after setting up my ESC and when I go in reverse I get a clicking noise coming from the pinion and spur gear area. I noticed that in the AX10 Directions it shows the 14T gear with the set screw facing away from the motor, is this right? I have it the other way because the teeth didn't seem to match up if I was to put the gear in as directed.
AC Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2008, 08:05 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

I too have mine close to the motor. Make sure the set screw on the pinion, as it comes around, does not come in contact with the spur gear. Also, if the pinion is set too close to the spur, it can make some funny noises. A tiny bit makes a big difference when setting your pinion.
MaxxPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 08:31 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Try putting a piece of paper between the two gears to set the mesh. I have done this in the past and seems to be about right.
tk5028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 07:01 AM   #4

Hi, I had a clicking noise from my Novak 55T motor, but only when in reverse. Turned out to be the brushess. Took them out and lightly filed the edges off (less than 1/2mm) put them back and no more clicking noise.
So if you have no luck with pinion/spur try that. You can chick by running the motor without the pinion. If it doesn't click then the problem is the gears.
Find the tightest mesh point around the spur and set mesh at that point. Plastic gears are never perfectly round.
Gredge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 10:02 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

[QUOTE=Gredge;1375594]Hi, I had a clicking noise from my Novak 55T motor, but only when in reverse. Turned out to be the brushess. Took them out and lightly filed the edges off (less than 1/2mm) put them back and no more clicking noise.

Had the same problem with my new Novak 55T. I did the same thing as quoted above and even ran a ball point pen in the slots on the com and the problem went away. good luck. -RCHuffer
RCHuffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 06:04 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

My bet is it's your grub screw that hold the pinion on. It probably only does it in reverse because your spur shaft may be a little loose and riding in and out. It probably rides out in reverse and makes the screw contact your spur.

Take a look and see.
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote