Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Shock Issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2008, 11:18 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Shock Issue

I have an ax 10. It was an RTR but it has a few upgrades. The other day i was crawling and i noticed that my shocks were leaking. Badly, dripping down the shock. I looked and the bottom screw or "nut" that goes into the bottom Had come out and was sitting at the bottom. I re tightened it but then i proceeded the check the others they were all extremely lose. I also noticed that the tops were leaking some. Does any one know why? I checked and their all tight, they are stock, should they be replaced? and what would be the best way to replace them?

If there is way to solve this temporarily i would appreciate the help.
If not, what would be a good way to get new shocks that can be soft on the budget.
jmantalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2008, 11:26 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Get some teflon tape from Home depot or where ever, and fix them taht way. Better seal, tighter lock. Not as good as aftermarket shocks, but it'll do.
mike
mmbackpacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 11:39 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Stock Axials are notorious for popping caps off and leaking. You can either upgrade to the Axial (around $40 I think) or STRC ($30) aluminum bodies or upgrade to better shocks altogether. The stock Axial plastic shock bodies have really weak threads that get stripped out either by over tightening or getting in a bind from flexing. The stock axials with STRC aluminum bodies perform pretty well on a stock chassis, but I honestly think it's worth it to pay the little extra and buy a set of Losi ($40-50 depending on where you get them) 4" crawler shocks...at least they're adjustable. Good Luck!
Boogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 12:35 PM   #4
RCC Addict

also make sure to bleed the shocks properly when reassembling them.

ive noticed a,ot of people complain about leaking and popping caps and come to find out that the shocks were blead improperly resulting in premature failure
NeXt559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 03:40 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Hmm ok Ill have to call the local hobby shop and see what they have in stock. If not ill look into fixing these up a little. thax for the advice
Old 09-27-2008, 12:03 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Defiantly make sure they are bled proper, I have been running the shocks that came with my kit for a year now, no leaks.
mysharona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 12:18 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

first off, you shouldnt be having these problems. stock shocks work fine. i know you dont have a lot of "miles" on them.

all the people that have given you advice on this thread are newbs (except my sharona, he has good advice).

you are on a tight budget because (correct me if im wrong) your like 17 years old, and thats tough in this game. The LAST thing you should think about upgrading is your shocks. they are more than fine. you need to take care of them.

1:10th crawling is like 1:1 crawling in the sense that it takes a lot of maintenance to keep your rig functioning.

take your shocks apart. learn how they work. bleed them properly. if you keep ripping caps off, C A them shut.

You should come out to linda vista and learn some tips from guys that have already been through this. PM me if you need more help with your shocks.

and...

USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mtnyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 12:32 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnyote View Post
first off, you shouldnt be having these problems. stock shocks work fine. i know you dont have a lot of "miles" on them.

all the people that have given you advice on this thread are newbs (except my sharona, he has good advice).

you are on a tight budget because (correct me if im wrong) your like 17 years old, and thats tough in this game. The LAST thing you should think about upgrading is your shocks. they are more than fine. you need to take care of them.

1:10th crawling is like 1:1 crawling in the sense that it takes a lot of maintenance to keep your rig functioning.

take your shocks apart. learn how they work. bleed them properly. if you keep ripping caps off, C A them shut.

You should come out to linda vista and learn some tips from guys that have already been through this. PM me if you need more help with your shocks.

and...

USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lol I was planning on seeing if I could make it out tomorrow. But its not set in stone. And thanks for the offer. Ill have to check them out and get them working properly.
Old 09-27-2008, 12:35 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

dont cross-thread the caps when you put them back on
Old 09-27-2008, 02:15 AM   #10
RCC Addict

If the short Guy with the gun and angry dog cant help you(JK), You may want to check your driving style. This situation was a major issue for me(yeah I suck at driving) until I started to learn my truck and understand proper line choices that helped keep my truck up-right. Thus avoiding major falls or over driving, causing broken broken parts, like shocks.
Any ways, at least you had fun braking it I hope.
Da Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 11:37 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Hermit View Post
If the short Guy with the gun and angry dog cant help you(JK), .
Short guY????? im 6 feet tall.
Old 09-27-2008, 11:46 AM   #12
MODERATOR™

When the shocks are cycled air mixes with the oil, that's the type of shock they are, hence no rubber bladder up top in the cap. It creates a foam, and the foam becomes what dampens the piston. When you have too much oil and air mixed together something is going to give, and therefore the shock caps come off, and/or they leak out the bottom.

Take one apart and start over. Fill it maybe 2/3rds full of oil and with the cap on cycle the shock quickly to build up a foam inside. If there's a free spot when the piston is almost fully compressed you need a little more oil. If the pistons feels damped the entire stroke, you're good.

It's a good idea to cycle the axles a few times to build up the foamy oil inside before you run.

That should help. I've used the stock shocks since I got mine when they first came out and not once have I popped a cap. Though now I've jinxed myself. Thanks.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote