Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: ESC recommendations for my AX10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2008, 07:03 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default ESC recommendations for my AX10

What would be the most basic,value priced Esc for my AX10 running a 65x1 motor?I spent enough money on the rig and radio gear now its time for an esc but I'm on a really tight budget.I don't plan to do comps so it does'nt need to be high end.
speedemall is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2008, 07:14 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I would suggest the castle sidewinder for your ESC. You won't break the bank, and it is highly programmable.
dano104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 08:11 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Go with Tekin FXR. Isn't compatible with brushless, but you don't need a brushless motor with crawler (there's plenty of torque with brushed too) . And there's no delay with the FXR.
I got to admit though, it isn't the most cheapest one.

Last edited by tomik; 11-18-2008 at 08:28 AM.
tomik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 08:37 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

I am running the Rooster Crawler and have really liked it.. Going price is about $100
B4wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 08:38 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

If you want the option to go brushless, I'd got with a CC Sidewinder or Micro Pro. A Quark 33a Pro Car isn't a bad idea, either.

If you want inexpensive ESC for brushed, a Traxxas XL-1 is fine, but a bit large for my liking.
MrNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 09:07 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4wheeler View Post
I am running the Rooster Crawler and have really liked it.. Going price is about $100

I had the rooster crawler in my last rig and had a problem with it automatically going into reverse by itself whenever I turned it on.I never did figure it out.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:13 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

I am currently running this esc the MC230CR
http://www.futaba-rc.com/radioaccys/futm0922.html

My problem is that I have no brake when I let off the throttle,is whats preventing me from this function considered drag brake?I know its probably a noob question but I'm new to crawler esc's.Could I tailor this esc to do what I need for crawling?I'm doubting it.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:15 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I am running a Tamiya TEU-101BK ESC that I had laying around. I put it in because I burned up the one I had in there. I had planned on putting something else in but this one has been working so well I just left it.
bnoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 09:19 AM   #9
RCC Addict

The Rosster Crawler is awesome for the price .... If you had some trouble with it, Novak should have fixed it no worries. But, it sounds like it might have been radio troubles?

The Tekin FXR is a great ESC as well, but figure in the cost of a Castle BEC as well.

Both are great units and will get the job done. Bargain ESC's won't have the features needed to crawl well.
JPH Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 10:24 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

the sidewinder, tekin fxr, or the rooster from novak are all good choices!

i used a rooster all this past year with no issues! very reliable built in bec,easy set up , nice throttle control too. only drawback is you cant bulk up on voltage <7 cells max>

i outgrew my rooster so i replaced it with a mamba max. im savin the rooster for a scale build at a later date
crawldad91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 07:04 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

What about the Tazer?
for beginner....
lol
47willysbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 08:24 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

rooster crawler for sure. great price and great performance
ax10alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 09:12 PM   #13

i have the sidewinder in my rig and it is very sensitive cheap at 79 bucks or lower, plug it into your computer and program it, it easy to work, can handle brushless or brushed, it is very conservative with the battery meaning longer run times. See the the novak rooster crawler is good but you cant run brushless with it, and cant program it even close to as much as the side winder, and the drag brake on the novak is to strong. I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND THE MAMBA SIDEWINDER YOU WONT BE DISAPOINTED.
z-man64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 09:22 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by z-man64 View Post
i have the sidewinder in my rig and it is very sensitive cheap at 79 bucks or lower, plug it into your computer and program it, it easy to work, can handle brushless or brushed, it is very conservative with the battery meaning longer run times. See the the novak rooster crawler is good but you cant run brushless with it, and cant program it even close to as much as the side winder, and the drag brake on the novak is to strong. I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND THE MAMBA SIDEWINDER YOU WONT BE DISAPOINTED.
What he said

i feel that i upgraded for a rooster crawler to the sidewinder. and if your no longer into crawling you can always throw the sidewinder into a touring car. very versitile ESC.
BuzzKilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 11:17 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

You can't go wrong with a castle creations product. I ran a few cheapo ESC's and they just didn't cut it. I had the Rooster and it was a glitchy pos. I really don't think the ESC is the right area to skimp.
RocSpyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 04:27 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

I was using Tamiya TEU-101-BK with no major problem, perfect for beginner. After several trial on the rocks...I've found the drag brake is essential for more serious crawling, then I purchased this Novak Rooster Crawler Edition for $120 (motor combo)...It's great and no problem until this moment...but I ditched the novak fifty five coz I prefer Integy's....
dirtworkshw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 06:24 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Interesting thread...I too am in the market of upgrading from stock AX10 RTR ESC to something a little better for not a lot of coin. I'm using an Integy 50t.

I just found this on the Castle website regarding the Sidewinder system...

NOTE: The Sidewinder Power System is NOT for use in 1/10th scale monster trucks.

So what gives?
fanke19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 08:29 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

There's a big difference between an AX10 and an Emaxx or Esavage. They're monster trucks, AX's are crawlers. The big thing with that warning is not to put 4600 or 5700 motors into the big trucks. Too high on the KV, too short on the can.

I've got Sidewinders in all 3 or our AX10s and a Mamba Max in my Super. $75 for an ESC that you won't outgrow is a bargain.
John82601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 08:30 AM   #19
RCC Addict

Novak rooter crawler, awesome ESC with hold brake from hell. I've been using mine for a little over a year and still works like the day i bought it.

NOTE: also theres no need for externel BEC's and set-up/programming wire.

Last edited by JUSTGOINGSLOW; 11-19-2008 at 08:33 AM.
JUSTGOINGSLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 10:03 AM   #20
RCC Addict

Rooster Crawler. Like stated above, the drag brake is awesome. I've used it in my scaler but not much wheel time in my AX-10 yet.
Mongo is offline   Reply With Quote