Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: gear noise?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2008, 01:46 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default gear noise?

i did some looking but i couldn't find anything. i get a lot of gear noise i think it what it is. but i heard of some people putting a special kind of grease in case and diffs? what is grease is that?

thanks
93'wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2008, 04:21 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

make sure you use the right pinion metric or standard
special agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 07:49 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Most gear noise comes from the pinion, spur gear mesh. Usually on the axial trannys you have to run the mesh on the loose side due to the spur gear not running perfectly true. Be sure to check the mesh in several spots, you will find it tight in one spot then loose in another.
Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 08:10 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Look no further nor waist one single dime on anything else for quieting gear noise Rocksmith's "GearJelly" is hands down the best grease available for what we do. It penetrates the metal and stays on the gear faces until you remove it which is not easy.

Check him out in the vendors section.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 08:30 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Location: You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy

i found that the setscrew on my pinion gear was rubbing my spur and making noise
DeweyCJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 08:42 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Carefully adjust the pinion to spur gear mesh. Make it as close as it can be without actually binding, leave just the smallest amount of free play between the teeth.

You can grease them too, and it will make them a little quieter, but it's not an alternative to setting the mesh properly. Also, depending on driving conditions, grease will pick up dirt and grit and become a grinding paste on your gears. You may prefer not to lube them.

Also remember that straight cut spur gears make noise - period! They will never be silent.

The crown and pinion inside the axles needs to be shimmed for best mesh and smoothest running, but doesn't seem to make much noise either way. Definitely use grease on them.

Cheers.
Terranaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 12:37 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

thanks for all your help i started messing with the pinion and found it was slightly rubbing on the motor plate brought it out a little but still the set screw didn't hit the flywheel. ill think about the gear jelly, but those two things pretty much eliminated half the noise. im happy now and the mesh is set up to where when it goes threw it doesnt cut the paper nor crumple it to much.

thanks again for all your help!
93'wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 11:36 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post
Look no further nor waist one single dime on anything else for quieting gear noise Rocksmith's "GearJelly" is hands down the best grease available for what we do. It penetrates the metal and stays on the gear faces until you remove it which is not easy.

Check him out in the vendors section.

+1 on this recomendation. i took apart my truck and removed all the old grease , just to replace it with this stuff A+ product
BuzzKilla is offline   Reply With Quote