Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: SWX Transformation/Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2008, 06:27 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default SWX Transformation/Build

Hey guys. Just finished my AX10 to the SWX chassis. Was bored last night and decided to do it. Took me a whole night. Here are some pics.

The Before:

The Parts:

Broken Down:

Only Heavy Duty Parts:

Front Diff:

Rear Diff:

Parts Leftover:

All Done:

Test Fit:

Ok guys let me know what you think. Im still waiting on a set of Losi Rock Claws. A Set of Losi 4 inch shocks with some springs to mess around with. Also a 4 link plate for the rear. And imma see if I go buy my lipo batteries for the crawler today. Im thinking of the MaxAmps 2000 Mah. 2 of those should be good to go. My wheelbase is at 12.5 inches which is exactly where I wanted it to be. My height is about 2.5 inches. I wanna be anywhere between 2.5 to 2.75 inches. But i cant do anything to the parts come in. Let me know what you guys think. Enjoy
JaDeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-2008, 06:40 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Looks good. Good job on the servo / Batt plate but I don't think 2200's will fit up there. Holmes Hobbies has some nice and inexpensive 1300's that fit in that spot perfectly.

Also, since you were able to slam your body that low, I'd trim the sides a little higher. I like having my skid, just below the body sides so that it hits the rocks and not the body. That lexan can hang you up pretty bad.

I'm sure 15 people will tell you to get the plate off the top and move your electronics lower too... so I'll let them tell you that
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 10:36 AM   #3
WVB
Quarry Creeper

I wouldn't trim the body. I would fold it in towards center at the body line. More like a boat side. And Yes, lose the electronics plate and move your electronics down. You can also search for "SWX" for lots of ideas including from the creator of the SWX Bender as he did an excellent build/write up...
WVB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 11:03 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

put the electronics lower......to top heavy
cruz*hotboxrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 02:34 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVB View Post
I wouldn't trim the body. I would fold it in towards center at the body line. More like a boat side. And Yes, lose the electronics plate and move your electronics down. You can also search for "SWX" for lots of ideas including from the creator of the SWX Bender as he did an excellent build/write up...
oh i know ive read that thread a million times. all 30 something pages of it
Old 12-26-2008, 02:37 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

the body is just sitting there freely. when i decide where imma put the posts then it will move a bit higher. as far a the electronics, i liked them up there. they dont weight anything so weight is not an issue for me. here is the 2000 mah lipo. http://www.maxamps.com/Lipo-2000-74-Pack.htm. it fits perfectly next to the servo
Old 12-26-2008, 05:51 PM   #7

Trust me moving the electronics lower will make a difference. It all adds up there is a little weight to that, and the lower you have it the better off you are. Side hills, climbing vert, ect... Nice build though, you will love that chassis.
DHRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 05:54 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Lower Electronics!!!
zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 07:40 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

ok guys i have a lil issue the front bead locks rub against the knuckle?? i put a small space in the wheels for now but im sure there a better part or something out there. any ideas??

Last edited by JaDeR; 12-27-2008 at 01:02 AM.
Old 12-27-2008, 01:04 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

I did a little test run in my backyard today. WOW. What a difference from the stock chassis. Its like night and day. Its not even dialed in. I got the wrong battery and Im already very satisfied
Old 12-27-2008, 06:41 AM   #11

Nice parts collection.
Smewhtguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 09:55 AM   #12

Default looks good

get two 3mm *6mm set screws to replace your philp screws in the front c hub .....so you can get a little more wheel turn......
The Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 11:42 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ward View Post
get two 3mm *6mm set screws to replace your philp screws in the front c hub .....so you can get a little more wheel turn......
thats in the works
Old 01-03-2009, 01:15 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

More pics to come soon. I got the losi 4 inch shocks installed. I love them.

Coming in the mail next week:
2-Maxamps 2000mah 7.4v lipos
Losi Rock Claws
DNA dig
Futaba 4pk
Vanquish Products DH ProComp Black/Silver Rims
#8 Rockhammer Hybrid Foam
STRC 4 Link Servo Plate for the rear.

Pics of the finished rig will be up soon. Thanks for looking
Old 01-11-2009, 08:05 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Default Finally finished SWX

ok guys here is the finished product. now its comp ready. i hope you like. comments welcome. enjoy

Old 01-11-2009, 08:15 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Nice rig. Great pics. I was thinking of getting a grappler body for mine, but thought it might be too wide for the SWX. After seeing your front view pic, I am seriously thinking of getting one. How do you like the VP DH's I have a set coming for mine . What offsets are you running

Again, great job
Archer414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 08:30 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottso737 View Post
Nice rig. Great pics. I was thinking of getting a grappler body for mine, but thought it might be too wide for the SWX. After seeing your front view pic, I am seriously thinking of getting one. How do you like the VP DH's I have a set coming for mine . What offsets are you running

Again, great job
thanks. i crawled today with a couple of buddies. they all have ax10. they were all using weighted stock wheels. aside from the look and finish on the wheel, pllus the comfort of playing easily with the weights. the difference was noticable in the way the rig was moving. i was very impressed. i bought them cuz i thought they just looked like the nicest ones out there. but after comparing i saw how good they really were. im running the biggest offset they have. i forgot how much it is. they worked awesome today. i was impressed by my rig.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:41 AM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaDeR View Post
thanks. i crawled today with a couple of buddies. they all have ax10. they were all using weighted stock wheels. aside from the look and finish on the wheel, pllus the comfort of playing easily with the weights. the difference was noticable in the way the rig was moving. i was very impressed. i bought them cuz i thought they just looked like the nicest ones out there. but after comparing i saw how good they really were. im running the biggest offset they have. i forgot how much it is. they worked awesome today. i was impressed by my rig.
That's great. Mine just shipped today. I cannot wait for them to get here. I ordered them with the largest offset on the front, and smallest on the back, and also bought the middle offset just in case...
Thanks for the reply!
Archer414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:11 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottso737 View Post
That's great. Mine just shipped today. I cannot wait for them to get here. I ordered them with the largest offset on the front, and smallest on the back, and also bought the middle offset just in case...
Thanks for the reply!
no problem brother. imma try more weights on it this weekend to see how it goes. i had 3 in front and 2 in rear this past weekend and it was great. i loved it. imma try 6 in front and 3 in rear. ill keep you posted.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:12 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

i started taking off the green off the parts. i already did the front steering links and the rear 4 link plate. i love it. imma do the rest soon