Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: front axle locker instructions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2008, 09:20 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default front axle locker instructions

can anyone hook me up with actual instructions on how to install the optional front locker for the AX10 RTR?

also will i still be able to crawl decently if i have only bent rear lower links and straight front lower links?
ax10scorpion89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-2008, 09:38 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I would have thought the instructions would come with it. If not, you can download them in PDF form from axials home site http://www.axialracing.com/

Im sure the straight links will be fine
Positronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 03:49 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

yes, reading the manual that came with the truck would usualy yeild you better results. than trying to ask in a forum, on how to replace a part.

BuzzKilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 04:04 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

well it doesnt do step by step. it just shows which screws to take out and everything. not in what order to do everything in.
Old 12-28-2008, 04:13 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Just pull the front axle apart, and keep everything organized so you can remember the order in which you did it. Once you get to the center of the axle, undo the 4 screws on the bevel gear and pull it off. Inside you will find the spider gears housed in the space the shape of the dif locker. Pull the spider gears out, put a little grease on the locker, stick it in and reverse what you did to take it all apart.

The straight links will be fine. Though down the road you might want to change them out for the bent links. All up to you and if you feel it is hindering you in the wheeling you are doing.

Last edited by fortysixandtwo; 12-28-2008 at 04:16 PM.
fortysixandtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 04:21 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortysixandtwo View Post
Just pull the front axle apart, and keep everything organized so you can remember the order in which you did it. Once you get to the center of the axle, undo the 4 screws on the bevel gear and pull it off. Inside you will find the spider gears housed in the space the shape of the dif locker. Pull the spider gears out, put a little grease on the locker, stick it in and reverse what you did to take it all apart.

The straight links will be fine. Though down the road you might want to change them out for the bent links. All up to you and if you feel it is hindering you in the wheeling you are doing.
yeah i will probly have to do that since i cant find step-by-step instructions on how to do the locker. more than likely i will end up doing the locker once i get my new motor and tires on tuesday.

the links im getting are from a member off here. its a brand new set he said so im just waiting on pictures now. i just need to find out what color they are because im leaning towards converting the truck to the red kit. red XC-1 body, red beadlock rings, and all the red aluminum links and such.
Old 12-28-2008, 04:30 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Cool. I don't know about you but I am a very hands on learner and I tend to have to just take things apart rather than rely on instructions. These axles are very simple though (especially compared to real 1:1 axles). I think you will find if you take it apart and are careful in placing the parts in order and not mixing things up it will only take you 5 or 10 minutes from start to finish.
fortysixandtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 08:05 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

im very hands on as well but for the first time doing it i would like to have step by step instructions.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:57 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

well i got the locker in last night. wasnt that hard really. just messing with that nasty grease sucks. my hands were so sticky after that. haha. the screwdriver got stuck to my fingers. im so glad i threw that locker in. it crawls so much better now.
Old 12-29-2008, 01:23 PM   #10
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ax10scorpion89 View Post
well i got the locker in last night. wasnt that hard really. just messing with that nasty grease sucks. my hands were so sticky after that. haha. the screwdriver got stuck to my fingers. im so glad i threw that locker in. it crawls so much better now.

Congrats .....and told ya so....now all you need to do is get the Axial 55T motor and instal the 14T pinion gear. Gettting the mesh right is the only hard part.
grimgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 10:44 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimgard View Post
Congrats .....and told ya so....now all you need to do is get the Axial 55T motor and instal the 14T pinion gear. Gettting the mesh right is the only hard part.
yup i got the motor and tires in today and put it all together. i think i might run the 20 tooth pinion on the 55T just to get some more wheel speed. or would that just mess everything up?