Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Axial tips and tricks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2009, 01:15 PM   #61
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzican View Post
I ran my rock claws with no foam and no vents for a couple of months and it worked great for me. I put my wheels together in front of the air conditioner just trapping atmospheric air pressure inside them....then once outside in the warmer weather the air expanded to just about the perfect pressure.
I have switched to panthers for the extra height...but I prefer the tractability of my aired up claws over the panthers any time ground clearance isn't an issue.

Not trying to call you out man, but this has gotta be the most lame thing I've ever heard. It's not like you're running enough tire pressure to even notice, and furthermore atmospheric air pressure will be captured in a closed environment. Your AC just ain't gonna cut it. If that was the case Pep Boys needs to trash their equipment and just start mounting tires inside the store.
Dollarhide is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2009, 01:25 PM   #62
Pebble Pounder

some people like it ive heard
GT 2.2 " Air System Beadlocks (2) for 2.2inch Size Tires
Fit truck with 12mm wheel hex

GT 2.2" Air system beadlock wheels can adjust air pressure easily for tire performance over all kind of terrain.
Beadlock wheelslock directly onto the tire eliminating the need for gluing your tires and keeping the rims reusable.
dragit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 10:19 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by moabax View Post
I finally got sick of all whell slop the axial has in the wheel bearings. So I came up with a cheap fix. I went to the local hardware store and picked up a little bag of 5mm washers. They fit perfect right behind the hex pin on the stub shaft. They are not very tight but do put a slight preload on the bearings. This took all of the wheel slop away.

With the addition of a good tight fitting locker I got ALL of the slop to disapper. Now it is so much easier to control.
Is their any way you could post pics of this. TIA:-P
HossManny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 05:26 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollarhide View Post
Not trying to call you out man, but this has gotta be the most lame thing I've ever heard. It's not like you're running enough tire pressure to even notice, and furthermore atmospheric air pressure will be captured in a closed environment. Your AC just ain't gonna cut it. If that was the case Pep Boys needs to trash their equipment and just start mounting tires inside the store.
actually what he's saying is possible. Heat and cold will affect the air pressure inside the tyre assuming it is sealed air tight.

I know I used to have to check my tyre pressure before each stage when I was competing in rock crawling in my buggy because leaving a couple of tyres out in the sun would create a pressure increase, and that's on a 40" tyre.
maddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 09:45 AM   #65
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog View Post
actually what he's saying is possible. Heat and cold will affect the air pressure inside the tyre assuming it is sealed air tight.

I know I used to have to check my tyre pressure before each stage when I was competing in rock crawling in my buggy because leaving a couple of tyres out in the sun would create a pressure increase, and that's on a 40" tyre.

I'm still saying no to this. We are talking about toy sized tires going toy sized speeds. I take my 1:1 Toyota hybrid on the trail all day and when I'm done and load it back on the trailer I'm still at 10psi. Rock crawling is slow, street racing is fast. Fast speeds will build pressure within the tire. If you generate that kinda heat rock crawling you need to rethink your hobby.
Dollarhide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 11:40 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollarhide View Post
I'm still saying no to this. We are talking about toy sized tires going toy sized speeds. I take my 1:1 Toyota hybrid on the trail all day and when I'm done and load it back on the trailer I'm still at 10psi. Rock crawling is slow, street racing is fast. Fast speeds will build pressure within the tire. If you generate that kinda heat rock crawling you need to rethink your hobby.
Give it a try I guess. Nothing to lose and information to gain ;)

I know I'd set a rear tyre pressure of 6-7 first thing in the morning before competition started, then check it at 10:30 as I was about to begin the first stage and being sitting out in the sun and see it up over 10psi, let it down. This is just from sitting in the sun, not driving at speed. Check it again around lunch time and it's back up again. Come night time, the tyre will be sagging. I don't see why it wouldn't work on a smaller scale.

Since you posted a pic of your 1:1 I might post one of mine ;)

and generating heat in the front tyres ;)

but now we're getting a bit off topic

Last edited by maddog; 07-08-2009 at 05:26 PM.
maddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 09:55 AM   #67
Rock Crawler

well really your both right... we all know cold air is denser then warm air any one knows that, how ever the the tempiture differance that one would get from an AC unit wouldnt be enought to make the tire firm when it warmed up, the pressure increase would still happen but would be very miniscule... now if one were to put the tires in the freezer for 30min or so with 1 bead lock ring removed and then assemble them while still in the freezer and let it warm up you would notice a vert large increase in pressure
ultimate_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 06:48 PM   #68

instead of air and instead of memory foam in my rock claws I bought a $6 teddy bear.........cut it open and filled the tires with "teddy guts"

worked awesome just enough flex and sidewall strength

TOYOTAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 12:48 AM   #69

wow teddy killer...you could have just went to wal-mart and got a thing of cotton for 2 bucks ...
typeostyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 03:58 PM   #70
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawler_from_Oz View Post
this has been very helpful to me but i did it the cheap way http://rccrawler.com/axialcompbuild.html
thats a good one, thanks.
leftcoastminis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 12:19 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeostyle View Post
wow teddy killer...you could have just went to wal-mart and got a thing of cotton for 2 bucks ...
wheres the fun in that?
TOYOTAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 04:58 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by am4x4 View Post
If you have link or shock ends that are binding you can replace the pivot balls with traxxas balls that allow more angle. They are slightly narrower that the axial balls so some shimming may be required.

Traxxas rod ends are direct replacement for the axial parts. you can get a pack of 12 long and 4 short for $6 including the above mentioned pivot balls. I will try to find the part # latter.
So, what are the part numbers?
Devilbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 07:48 PM   #73
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by am4x4 View Post
If you have link or shock ends that are binding you can replace the pivot balls with traxxas balls that allow more angle. They are slightly narrower that the axial balls so some shimming may be required.

Traxxas rod ends are direct replacement for the axial parts. you can get a pack of 12 long and 4 short for $6 including the above mentioned pivot balls. I will try to find the part # latter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilbrad View Post
So, what are the part numbers?
Traxxas 1942. I just ordered two packs here on ebay for under $12.50 shipped.
rmb2485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 12:28 AM   #74

not to but my nose in on this tire thing , but putting it in front of the A/C wont do anything, pull one side of the beadlock off and stick it in the freezer for an hour, try to keep it puffy as you put it back on and after it warms back up it will have extra presser in it but they still mold to the rocks.........but i still like my cut foam, so you can keep your air..........:-P
visa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 01:37 PM   #75
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by meancrawler View Post
just to let people know duratraxx mini quake springs fit perfect in ax10 shocks as internals
How popular is this mod?

What is the advantage? Is it just cosmetic?
acrosteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 07:44 PM   #76
I wanna be Dave

When running the antenna for the receiver, you can use the small straws for the coffee that you can get for free in any convieniance store. They are small and shorter, but you can make tight corners with them by just cutting the lengths you need to route the antenna.
Krakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 12:00 PM   #77
Quarry Creeper

Default coffee straws

That's a great idea, I will have to give that a try. My current mounting location give me gives me glitches or it might the cheap TQ 3. :?
racerfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 09:30 AM   #78
Quarry Creeper

Default Wheel weight alternative...

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkinfusion View Post
I also found the local plumbing shop sells 'lead sheet' for roof flashings. Easy to cut into stips that fit any wheel diamentions and possibly cheaper than proprietary wheel weights from the local tire shop!

I use 8oz lead-strap decoy weights for my tires. You can get them in 4oz, 6oz, or 8oz. I run 2x 6oz in each tire and it made my crawler climb better than ever!

If you go this heavy, make sure you have the power to push em. I use JR 8711 servos and they have no problem what so ever...
Fowlboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 06:12 PM   #79

Default strap weights

fowlboy where can i get these decoy weights?
Some Old Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 06:23 PM   #80
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Old Guy View Post
fowlboy where can i get these decoy weights?
Most hunting stores should have them, but look for the strap type not the nail type.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...2-_-3434493175
rentstdi is offline   Reply With Quote