Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Axial tips and tricks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2009, 02:57 PM   #101

for anyone who wants to run a semi droop suspension the associated springs or the losi springs fit the stock axial shocks and are 73mm long instead of the stock 90 mm long sets your truck down a little but still leaves room for up travel in your shock
Brian.Vanbeekum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-25-2009, 11:00 AM   #102

Default tire weight

I have put dynabeads in my tires with no foam.
Google dynamic balancing.
I have 8 ozs in all four and I can crawl over anything and it also helps with stopping quicker and holding position.
I have solid aluminum rims beadlocks each tire weighs 1 1/4 lbs .
I also took the rims and put them in the freezer before assembly and it helped with filling with sufficient air pressure to keep from folding , the traction i get is unreal, at all angles and all surfaces, i can stand it up on end with the power of the motor alone and walk it forward or reverse to attack any obstacle.I am running the goat 18.5 esc and motor combo good wheel speed and awesome crawling slow speed.
I have so much torque I twisted the front shaft off of trans where driveshaft bolts to it.
My first build, I am stoked to get it out and crawl on some rocks.No havent been outside with it, I live in alaska and I am looking for some indoor venues to play.Its winter here.:-(
The tires with the beads in them make a cool rain stick sound also suppoed to relaxing sound . double duty
jnavaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 02:30 AM   #103
Rock Stacker

For what it's worth, switching the transmission around seems to help with torque twist. Pretty easy and a good way to get a look at what's going on if these things are new to you(which they are to me).
2dblo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:30 AM   #104

Would like to see a pic of it standing up on end walking! If that is poss
Jdawg1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:07 PM   #105

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnavaugh View Post
I have 8 ozs in all four and I can crawl over anything and it also helps with stopping quicker and holding position.
I also took the rims and put them in the freezer before assembly and it helped with filling with sufficient air pressure to keep from folding , the traction i get is unreal, at all angles and all surfaces, i can stand it up on end with the power of the motor alone and walk it forward or reverse to attack any obstacle.I am running the goat 18.5 esc and motor combo good wheel speed and awesome crawling slow speed.
I have so much torque I twisted the front shaft off of trans where driveshaft bolts to it.
My first build, I am stoked to get it out and crawl on some rocks.No havent been outside with it, I live in alaska and I am looking for some indoor venues to play.Its winter here.:-(
The tires with the beads in them make a cool rain stick sound also suppoed to relaxing sound . double duty
Sounds pretty cool
what wheel setup did you have before? I am also curious as to how well it sidehills without folding over because of the (I assume:?) weaker sidewall oh and pictures please
Some Old Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 02:35 PM   #106
Rock Crawler

Can't get your pinion on without that darn screw hitting the spur or the pinion hitting the motor?

Get 6 or 12 3mm washers and stick them under the spur between it and the plate it screws to. It'll space it out 1 (6 washers) or 2 (12 washers) Millimeters, giving you enought room. Don't just put washers where the 3 screws hold the spur to the plate, fill in all the gaps/holes with a washer that way the spur will stay straight.
Ya may need 3 slightly longer screws for this.
In this way, you can space out the spur like that 3mm+ before you don't have enough thread to torque down the center nut. You could also make a lexan spacer between the motor and motor plate if needed, but spacing the spur is easier.
solomon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 02:59 PM   #107
Rock Crawler

A nice way to find the link length without wasting material is to use bamboo skewers ( I like the ones safeway carries)to mock up link lengths as they stay straight, and are the right diameter to fit tightly in to rod ends, even revos with a little tape. You can even mark them with a sharpie to measure and you get the right length all the way in to the ridend if you're using all thread. A dremel cut off wheel cuts them nice'n'clean. You can chuck up the skewers in the dremel and hold some sandpaper to them if they're to thick to go in the rod ends.
solomon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 01:52 PM   #108
Rock Stacker

I created a thread that shows one way to inboard mount your lower links, step-by-step.

How I mounted my links in the stock skid plate
tpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 06:07 PM   #109

Default Great white north

Check out utube to build free obstacle out of pallets that are free. I had one good day to go chewin before it snowed again.I feel your pain.Just bought a scorpion with a new goat as well.Live in Hinton Alberta gateway to the rockies. I keep popping off the driveshafts as well.I was thinking of cutting my foams to get more flex in my tires and cant find any good patterns.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnavaugh View Post
Llosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:00 PM   #110
Pebble Pounder

i like the fish wieghts idea going to use that for sure...

Flipping the transmision??? is this the same as moving the front axle to the rear??? nob ? but just starting thinking..
RockGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:02 PM   #111

yea i have fishing weights on mine where the 2 holes are on the axle on each side is where i screwd em in
YoterTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 06:15 PM   #112

Default Oven Cleaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuesdaysfall View Post
i found out this weekend to take the paint and whatnot off the links, oven cleaner to them for about 10 minutes and take a scouring pad to it. paint comes right off. then just a dremel and polish helps clean it up a bit
If anyone does decide to do this, three things, make sure that the oven cleaner is NOT fume free, because it will not work. And 2 if you want to get a chrome look " which also looks good in my opinion" use a dremel with a buffer attachment and dip in chrome polish and polish away. Three when you take color off the links do not use tin foil, use a metal pan. My buddy actually had smoke bellowing out of his gargae.. lol
Sneaux707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 08:50 AM   #113

A very quick fix to replace plastic lower links with stronger ones with old spare parts that I gather from my old cars..

The black section is carbon fiber rod, the yellow part is just fuel tubings - just there to cover up some cosmetic errors..
Krawl3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 04:20 PM   #114

fastwest433 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 09:48 PM   #115

I decided to improve the old design.. here goes .. I think this is the best deal so far.. the parts are cheap to get too.

4 pcs Hexagonal post M3 thread.
4 pcs 80mm M3 tie rod linkage.
4 pcs 15mm M3 tie rod linkage ( But I use M3 setscrews instead )
8 tie rod ends.. those plastic eyelet.

( pardon my parts description, cos I don't live in US and couldn't make out what those names were used when you guys are in the wrong side of the earth )

But the picture tells a 1000 words. enjoy..
http://www.daddyhobby.com/forum/atta...0&d=1272890369
( click on link to get to the pictures.. the image size is flooding the screen if I attach it directly into this post )

Last edited by Krawl3r; 05-04-2010 at 04:39 AM.
Krawl3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 05:15 PM   #116
Rock Stacker

If you run the Axial links whether they be straight or bent and you would like to get a bit more wheelbase length and lower your chassis which lowers your CG a tad, replace the upper and lower rod ends with Dubro Heavy Duty Ball Links. They are longer and are extremely durable. They also come with misalignment spacers to allow for much better clearance with articulation.

Last edited by Robert51483; 05-13-2010 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Spelling
Robert51483 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 01:01 AM   #117

Should you wish to install spider gears in the diffs (e.g. to make a rock racer out of the crawler) then HPI #86014 is a direct fit, and half the price of the Axial spider gears because each HPI pack contains enough parts for TWO diffs. (Ignore the misinformation on Towerhobbies and every other site out there, which all claim the HPI pack only contains enough parts for one diff.)

el_tonto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 10:34 AM   #118

Default servo plate

heres a good source for carbon fiber
i made my own servo plates for a 4 link setup on my ax10

http://www.mcmaster.com/#carbon-fiber/=7bw2ng

Last edited by wilesmugen; 05-31-2010 at 10:50 AM.
wilesmugen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 11:23 AM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by TourevoEclipse View Post
Does this make any difference?

Has anyone removed the foam from their tires?
Im not running foam and it seams to do just as well as with the foam.

I also cut my hammers to resemble Super Swamper Boggers

My battery is mounted to the rear upper links, held down by the velcro.

I have found that if the front weighs to much the servo struggles.

I had a problem with spinning my drivelines and so I decided to take a file to the output shaft on the transfer case. I filled down the side 180 degrees from the factory flat spot and installed two set screws.

When i got my crawler it didnt have foam in the tires. I found that the tires get stuck in the rocks really easy. I used two different foams in my tire like a two stage. It been working great for me.
ax10firstbild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 11:25 AM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert51483 View Post
If you run the Axial links whether they be straight or bent and you would like to get a bit more wheelbase length and lower your chassis which lowers your CG a tad, replace the upper and lower rod ends with Dubro Heavy Duty Ball Links. They are longer and are extremely durable. They also come with misalignment spacers to allow for much better clearance with articulation.

Do you know who sells these end i just broke my stock plastic ones.
ax10firstbild is offline   Reply With Quote