Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Suspension on new AX10 RTR to stiff

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2009, 09:24 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Question Suspension on new AX10 RTR to stiff

I bought a new RTR yesterday,the suspension is way too stiff (won't flex like I think it should.)I'm comparing it to the one I got my son for X-MAS (used),I think it was built from a kit.It has a lot of upgrades,alum links,green alum bead locks,servo,55t motor,speed control Rock Crawler tires,which are way softer tires.The shocks and springs look the same as on mine ,light gray springs.I've put 20 wt. oil in my shocks trying to soften them,but it didn't help much.Can I trim a coil off the spring to soften it or get different springs?Also can I trim the foam or split the foam in the tires to soften them up?
THANKS JEFF
jeffc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2009, 09:56 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

The color type of the spring is on the end. I think the stock rtrs are blue. It should be a little tripe on the end. And if you are using the stock tires I would suggest star cutting the foams. Some guys dont like it but it does the trick in a pinch. And as for springs, the options are endless, if it fits use it. I used E-maxx springs and with a little tweaking it worked out great.
theslowguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 10:08 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Talking

Your're right,I looked at them and they are blue on both crawlers.Can't figure out why the suspension on my sons crawler is so much softer.I may try ordering some of the soft or super soft springs.
THANKS JEFF
jeffc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 10:16 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
Your're right,I looked at them and they are blue on both crawlers.Can't figure out why the suspension on my sons crawler is so much softer.I may try ordering some of the soft or super soft springs.
THANKS JEFF

your sons might have been a kit and it probly had some mods
zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 10:21 PM   #5
RCC Addict

I am running the soft whites up front with the stock blues in the rear with 35wt oil in all for shocks and it seems to work well, but I also have other mods done to my set up such as a double reverse triangulation skid and a few other mods....
abadk9420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 10:32 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

On my Artr The pivot balls in the rod ends were plastic as well as the nuts holding them in place. I had the same issue..the suspension was way to stiff compared to my friends kit built AX10. I think the plastic ones were compressed from the nuts being overtightend. I Just had to replace the plastic "balls" with some traxxas one i had laying around, or purchase the Axial metal ones. Worked out great! Hope this helps.
veewee25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 01:50 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by veewee25 View Post
On my Artr The pivot balls in the rod ends were plastic as well as the nuts holding them in place. I had the same issue..the suspension was way to stiff compared to my friends kit built AX10. I think the plastic ones were compressed from the nuts being overtightend. I Just had to replace the plastic "balls" with some traxxas one i had laying around, or purchase the Axial metal ones. Worked out great! Hope this helps.

This happens all to often. Who thought it was good idea to make a ball end out of plastic.
moabax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 05:21 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by veewee25 View Post

Thank you, I thought I was going crazy, I had a kit when they first came out and I remembered running preloads up front. I sold it after I built it up into a Trail rig. I just got an ARTR and was like WTF, this suspension is twice as hard as the kit, everyone told me the springs were the same. I just swapped to pede pivot balls, much nicer.
ripper7777777 is offline   Reply With Quote