Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Battery on rear axle... why not?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2009, 12:45 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Battery on rear axle... why not?

Without spending any money all, I was able to take the upper battery tray, and mount it on the rear axle, just by drilling a few holes into it. I can also now drill a couple other holes and use it for a 4-link plate as well.

Question is, is it a bad idea to have the battery back there?

I can run more wheel weights up front easy enough to keep the front end heavier, and less wheel weights in the rear... it's a stick battery, so having it centered between the two rear wheels keeps the weight pretty balanced as well.

Is there something I'm missing here?
syber70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2009, 12:57 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

i put it back there but am moving it

zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 12:57 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Well the overall idea of weight in the back scares most people but whatever works for your terrain works, i personally would take advantage of that and use it as an electronics plate and a 4 link plate, then get a split pack battery and mount it on either side of the servo.
47willysbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 01:01 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47willysbuggy View Post
Well the overall idea of weight in the back scares most people but whatever works for your terrain works, i personally would take advantage of that and use it as an electronics plate and a 4 link plate, then get a split pack battery and mount it on either side of the servo.

this is an old pic of the truck....

and i am at the point were i am wanting a a split pack
Old 01-02-2009, 01:11 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Getting the weight over the front wheels is best for crawlers.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 01:13 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post
Getting the weight over the front wheels is best for crawlers.

i agree that is why i am moving it
Old 01-02-2009, 01:14 PM   #7
RCC Addict

A few guys here have used this setup and it has worked well for them.

What about using that plate (may need to mod it?) up front and putting the servo off to one side so that you can either run the battery in the middle of the plate going front to back onto the front upper links? Or reconfigure the pack so that it fits next to the offset servo on the plate?
Xtant3150c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 01:18 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Hey Syber70,
If you can switch, lipo is the way to go. cheapbatterypacks.com sells very cheap, but still good lipos and I think they even sell lipo specific chargers.(ABSOLUTELY REQUIRED) The packs are light enough that running your battery on the back axle will not upset your balance very much. However, the lipos are small enough that mounting the battery on your front upper links is possible and recommended. Then you can mount your electronics on your rear uppers. and have everything protected from the rocks.

P.S.; Don't buy any upper link mount plates. They are generally aluminum (ergo too heavy for application) and too small. Any piece of plastic will work just cut it to the shape you want and ziptie it on. (I used a tupperware container lid)

Xtant: I run that setup on my truck because my dig got in the way of putting the electronics on my rear links.

Last edited by tanmonster; 01-02-2009 at 01:22 PM. Reason: addendum
tanmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 01:23 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

yeah, definately not buying the upper link plates.. will be making my own...

off hand, anyone have a template for them? yeah, I'm that lazy ;P Be nice to just print one out on the printer, and then cut the material to shape.

I plan on running electronics on the upper link plates, and just keeping the battery back there for now.. if I need more weight up front, I can add stick on weights easy enough.. and my rear end is still lighter at the moment then the front.

guess I'll just have to drive it for a bit.. just had to ask, as I always see mentions of front battery mounts, split mounts, etc... This seemed entirely to easy/cheap to try, and didn't know if there was a specific reason as to why it was bad.. Still haven't heard really, other than that more weight up front is best.. which can be accomdated by stick on weights easier?
syber70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 01:37 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Tupperware rocks. Our moms never knew what they were starting when they were out selling this stuff in the 80,s.
moabax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 02:10 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

My friend runs all his electronics on the front axle and his battery on the rear. his rig works great. he also has a lot of BBs and wheel weights in both the front and rear as well.
fortysixandtwo is offline   Reply With Quote