Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: question about Wheel width and off set

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2008, 02:09 PM   #1
I joined the Band!

Default question about Wheel width and off set

I have just bought a set of Pro-line Eight Shooters for my SWX AX10. Since putting them on the width of my truck is now just over 9.5 inches.

It seems too narrow. I just wondered if anyone else had noticed this with the Shooters, and what width is a good width to run. My side hilling doesn't seem as good.

Should i change them for some other wheels, buy some wheel wideners, or leave it as it is?

Thanks for any help.
wknl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2008, 07:52 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Well i have a pair of the proline 8 shooters, and they are alright, i havent noticed much if any difference between the stock axial and the prolines, if they seem to not be working for you than i would try and get some differnt wheels. im running proline wheels in front and axials in back and in the front i have a wheel base of 9.5 inches like you and in the back i have 10 1/4 and it works fine for me.
paintballer9876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 08:10 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

The 8 shooters are quite narrow which does increase the overall height of your tires by squeezing the carcass. The current trend seems to be taller tires, so if you dig that you're all set, but it sounds like you've discovered the main issue with that type of set up.

My feeling is this; if you run too narrow of a rim, you end up crowning your tire which leads to poor off camber performance...it causes the tire to collapse under load. Foam choice also comes into play here...do some searching here on RCC for set up tips on that.

If your're looking to get the ride height but keep it sticky on the side hill, I'd ditch the 8 shooters and go with a new set up with some of the newer tires like the HPI Grabbers or the HB Rovers.

Just my 2 beans
CreepyCrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 08:41 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

If you want to keep the wheels you have already bought, STRC and Integy have axle extenders to help widen things. STRC are 10 mm per side and Integy 15 mm per side (I tihnk).
ebbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 08:43 PM   #5
09 RCA champ!

i like to have a narrow rear end its helped me more than once to squeeze by a gate
rednck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 11:02 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

I just ordered some 15mm wheel spacers to put on my crawler. Do they work good? or are they a problem?
240zron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 12:27 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

wideners work fine. You just don't want to get your over all trake width to wide or you will hurt yourself when trying to squeze through gates. that is if you compete. A good rule of thunb is to keep it between 9.5"-10.5". If you like a wider stance first try going wider up front and leaving the rear narrow. That way to can pull the rear through the gates eisier and still get the stability of the wider track width.
bigflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 11:35 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the information. I'm having a little shock issue and this should take care of it, But If I decide to compete, I want to be legal.
240zron is offline   Reply With Quote