Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Nate's SWX comp. build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2009, 10:17 PM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Sweet rig. Should do great at your next comp. I would recomend memory foam's for your foam setup. night and day differance in my claw's.
sdmf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2009, 11:03 PM   #22
Pebble Pounder

Yeah I had memory foam in the front and stock claw foam in the rear and with these new rims the memory were just to soft for me. They were star cut though so I need to get some new memory foam and try it uncut. I just went back to stock claw foam front and rear starcut.... going to test it out tommorow. Seems to be able to hold the form of the tire MUCH better than the memory though. Sidehilling with the memory foam starcut was a joke. The tire was just gone. Maybe I need a combo of the two?.... ah hell this is getting to complicated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmf7 View Post
Sweet rig. Should do great at your next comp. I would recomend memory foam's for your foam setup. night and day differance in my claw's.
Gst95dsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 11:43 PM   #23
Pebble Pounder

Trial & error is the only way to fine tune the bad boy b4 the comp. Btw sweeeeet rig brah.
nightcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 07:18 AM   #24
Quarry Creeper

nice looking rig I love my SWX.
broncoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 08:52 AM   #25
Pebble Pounder

Thanks man, I just checked out your build too.... great job

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncoholic View Post
nice looking rig I love my SWX.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:14 AM   #26
I wanna be Dave

I like the looks of that rig very nice good job
kasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 06:41 PM   #27
Pebble Pounder

Today I went ahead and picked up the Tekin FXR. I have read good reviews on it and so far I think I agree that it seems to be the perfect rock crawling ESC. It can handle 3c lipo if I want... adjustable drag brake... really good low speed / throttle input control, and a VERY small foot print. I did also wire up a CC BEC, which I DON'T like. Seems to always cause me a very minor glitch witch is just enough sometimes to shut down the digital servo. VERY annoying but I don't want to risk hurting the ESC with the amp draw of that servo.... but if I can't solve the minor glitch issue I will have to try the internal BEC on the FXR and hope for the best. I snapped a pic or two of the new set-up. I spent some time "trying" to make it look clean and it came out pretty good I guess. I should have taken some pics a little further out..... but here's one to give an idea.

Old 01-10-2009, 12:09 AM   #28
Pebble Pounder

Not many points of weakness in this thing left.......... but I just went outside to do some dig testing and snapped a stock "C" on the left front. Yay... another $25. I knew this one was coming though. :-P
Old 01-10-2009, 11:57 PM   #29
Pebble Pounder

Just keeping this updated!

I went ahead and picked up some aluminum "C's" today. Nice fit and finish on every strc item i've purchased at a good price to boot. Also switched over to Traxxas driveshafts because I figured they were the next thing to give me problems. Couple more pics for ya. One of the electronics layout from a little further out.... I know I like to see how you guys organize your wiring, I think it's looking pretty clean for how much is going on though.

Old 01-11-2009, 09:44 PM   #30
Pebble Pounder

Did some testing at our local spot today. Rig performed well. I may lower it just a tad more though. Here's some pics of mine and my sons rig. This place is rc crawling heaven.....

Old 01-22-2009, 11:02 AM   #31
Pebble Pounder

Attended my first comp. with the new rig a few days ago. The rig ran and performed really good. My driving was a little off. I was rushing in quite a few spots instead of taking my time to make sure my lines were good. There were over 40 competitors in attendance and I made it into the shootout with the top 15. I finished 4th in the shootout behind 3 bergs. 10th overall for the day though, after having to take 2 repositions on the first two courses. I can't say enough good things about the SWX, Tekin FXR, HR dig, Futaba 2.4 3pm. Oh yeah and the sweet Mayhem rims. Now it's time to focus on my driving!
Old 01-22-2009, 11:34 AM   #32
2006 2.2 National Champ

Congrats man, glad to hear it's working good for you.
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 12:34 PM   #33
I wanna be Dave

I would try to spread out your electronics a little and see if you cant get rid of that nasty glitch. I am running a very similar set up and have had 0 problems with glitching.... My super on the other hand.......
racerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 12:53 PM   #34
Pebble Pounder

Thanks man! Looking forward to competing with you, and other top drivers this year at the 09 West coast shootout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENDER View Post
Congrats man, glad to hear it's working good for you.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:56 PM   #35
Pebble Pounder

The glitch and hopefully all future glitches have officially been put to rest with the addition of the 2.4ghz Futaba 3pm. I was running a used and abused FM version of the same radio when the glitching was going on. This new radio is crazy..... absolutely no jibs, glitches, tweaks.... whatever you want to call them. Love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerx View Post
I would try to spread out your electronics a little and see if you cant get rid of that nasty glitch. I am running a very similar set up and have had 0 problems with glitching.... My super on the other hand.......
Old 01-23-2009, 11:24 PM   #36
Pebble Pounder

I was fortunate enough to make it into the video that was shot for the comp. My rig is the second one featured in the vid. Big download but worth it. What do you guys think? Oh yeah thats my son yelling "YES" when I finish... haha....I think only around 15 out of 45 finished this coarse, the first gate was killer (not shown in the vid)

http://www.trail-gear.com/videos/tgtv32.mpg
Old 01-23-2009, 11:30 PM   #37
Im Brandon

Looks awesome!

I tried to make it out to the comp but just couldnt get away with 5 hours of driving that day. Milerton lake looks very similar to Folsom lake.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 11:40 PM   #38
Pebble Pounder

Hopefully you can make the next one! Trail Gear puts on a great comp. We just have to be prepared for all the competitors better next time. Close to 50 at this one and they set up some long courses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nluvwithxlr8ing View Post
Looks awesome!

I tried to make it out to the comp but just couldnt get away with 5 hours of driving that day. Milerton lake looks very similar to Folsom lake.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:53 PM   #39
Pebble Pounder

Just a little update on what I've done lately to my rig. I have become a little obsessed with low CG lately so I decided to move my electronics to the rear axle. This creates two problems, one is that my servo wire was not long enough and I now need to run long wires to the batteries. I decided that even the wiring needed to be as low as possible so I routed it between the motor and tranny on the top of the skidplate. Perfect little channel exists right there. I used some cable sleeving that I think makes all the wires look a bit cleaner.

I also decided to invert my shocks to get the heavier shock body down lower. I switched to traxxas ends on the top, big improvement.

I much prefer this layout now. The rear axle is a little busy with amount of wiring that meets up there but nothing you can do really but try to make it look as clean as possible.

So with these simple mods I got 3 big improvements.

1. Lower Center of Gravity
2. Rig is easier to work on
3. Cleaner overall look (important for my OCD)

Here's a few pics.

Old 02-03-2009, 10:02 AM   #40
Rock Stacker

looks good i like the cable sleeving
mac67 is offline   Reply With Quote