Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Incline test - Stock AX10 chassis

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2009, 05:59 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Incline test - Stock AX10 chassis

So I made a ramp to test my stock chassis before building up my new chassis. Although I know an incline test doesn't necessarily equate to having a good crawler, I thought it would at least give me one measurable aspect to compare to the new chassis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZEHsYBcPEw

Let me know what you think. The belly currently sits at 2.5".

I added a spacer to the left rear shock for the ramp test. Otherwise it is in regular "comp" form.
MtnBkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2009, 06:04 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Is it just me or did you not have a dig, and how many degrees?
47willysbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 06:05 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

what did ya have on that board................bob

bob1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 06:07 PM   #4
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47willysbuggy View Post
Is it just me or did you not have a dig
Why would you need a dig?
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 06:14 PM   #5

That's quite a bit better than my rig will currently do. (bone stock RTR with a stick pack up top) Hell I can barely get over 3 4x4's and into a flower bed as it is.

This is actually a bitchin idea though. I'd like to see everything from bone stock to fully modded and everything in between on their own videos being tested. A full throttle and torque test of different gear/motor combos - etc.

Would answer alot of Q's on here and provide a bit of info for those wanting to upgrade performance instead of adding the latest "cool" tricked out alumnium pieces for looks or status.

and I'd like to know what the board was coated with too.
Sparky2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 06:18 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

x2
moabax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 06:34 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47willysbuggy View Post
Is it just me or did you not have a dig, and how many degrees?
No dig. I'm going to add one with the new chassis though. It was 65-68 degrees... my angle finder wasn't the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob1961 View Post
what did ya have on that board................bob

Haha... what makes you think it was coated? I got the idea from a thread over on the Berg page. It is several belts from a belt sander. 120 grit. It is cheaper than buying the grip tape at Home Depot. I wanted the traction to be as good as possible so I can focus on the center of gravity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky2 View Post
That's quite a bit better than my rig will currently do. (bone stock RTR with a stick pack up top) Hell I can barely get over 3 4x4's and into a flower bed as it is.

This is actually a bitchin idea though. I'd like to see everything from bone stock to fully modded and everything in between on their own videos being tested. A full throttle and torque test of different gear/motor combos - etc.

Would answer alot of Q's on here and provide a bit of info for those wanting to upgrade performance instead of adding the latest "cool" tricked out alumnium pieces for looks or status.

It definitely made the torque twist evident. I had to add the spring spacer to the left rear to get it above 60 degrees.

Anyway, just another tool to test and cheap to make.

Last edited by MtnBkr; 01-12-2009 at 08:03 PM.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:07 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Double check on that angle.... the difference between 65 and 68 is HUGE when your actually measuring! I'm not doubting your angle just wondering what it was for sure. My SWX based rig is at 64 right now. It can do 65 "barely" without the body on. Good job!
Gst95dsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:07 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

good job. I can get 65* with ease, 67* is pushing it.

lil' lucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 02:51 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gst95dsm View Post
My SWX based rig is at 64 right now. It can do 65 "barely" without the body on. Good job!

I've got troubles with my SWX. It wont do more than 55. I've tried lots of different setups, but haven't got much further lately. Would you mind sharing your upper link, shock and tire setup? How much weight are you running front and rear?
Tomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 03:24 PM   #11

i want to locate my battery to the front axel for better incline perfprmance but this is a cool idea im gonna have to try this out!
MKii12v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 03:33 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

With my EDGE chassis I'm stuck at 62deg. I'll play with it some more,,, 68 is Amazing!
John82601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 04:04 PM   #13

That is pretty cool to watch. I kept asking myself "is there a string attached".
torque monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:17 PM   #14

pffff.Mine can do 89.5 degrees.

That is not bad, wish mine could do something close to yours.
the-one1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 10:51 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Wheel set up is Rock Claws on Mayhem Eng. Double Phatty's with 4 balls in the front and 2 in the rear. I don't the actual weight but it's a lot heavier than I ran with my stock rims. Lower links and inboard of the axle mount and shocks are on the far side of the axle mount. Stock 3 link front and rear in the second hole from the top. That's about it. Oh yeah, star cut foam in all 4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomy View Post

I've got troubles with my SWX. It wont do more than 55. I've tried lots of different setups, but haven't got much further lately. Would you mind sharing your upper link, shock and tire setup? How much weight are you running front and rear?
Gst95dsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 08:08 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Honestly, I think the performance has a lot to do with the rear foams and rear suspension setup.

I'm running full non-memory Panther foams in the rear with memories up front. Also, I'm running the standard Maxx red spring in the left rear with a homemade four link and longer uppers.

I have 7 oz in both front wheels and 2 oz in both of the rears. All of the rims have been drilled. I added another 7 oz (14 oz total each) to each of the front just to see if I could go steeper and it didn't make any difference.

Quote:
Double check on that angle.... the difference between 65 and 68 is HUGE when your actually measuring! I'm not doubting your angle just wondering what it was for sure. My SWX based rig is at 64 right now. It can do 65 "barely" without the body on. Good job!
I'm going to get a better angle finder this weekend. Based off the one I have 65 is very conservative... I'll post up when I re-measure with the better angle finder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque monkey View Post
That is pretty cool to watch. I kept asking myself "is there a string attached".
My dad thought that too! I made him come over to my house to see it in person. Besides, if I was using a string I would make it 80+ degrees!!!

Quote:
Wheel set up is Rock Claws on Mayhem Eng. Double Phatty's with 4 balls in the front and 2 in the rear. I don't the actual weight but it's a lot heavier than I ran with my stock rims. Lower links and inboard of the axle mount and shocks are on the far side of the axle mount. Stock 3 link front and rear in the second hole from the top. That's about it. Oh yeah, star cut foam in all 4.
64 is damn good if your foams are star cut. Again, I think the rear foam setup makes a big difference.