Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: AX10 Upgrades - Give me ideas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2009, 06:06 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default AX10 Upgrades - Give me ideas

Friends:

I have an AX10 with a Traxxas 12T55 Motor, HIMOTO 3 Way ESC, and 7.2 V Venom Flat battery packs. My rims have stick on lead strips in them. (About 75 grams in each). Foam is star cut.

What is a better Motor+ESC+Battery combination? I recently ordered metal drive shafts since I hear these break.

Thanks amigos!

Migs
Migs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2009, 08:59 PM   #2

MIP centers and Axial cvds! Dig of course!
bigskycrawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 03:40 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Hi big sky. Can you tell me what each is and if you can suggest which one of each to get? Right now I barely recognize the three terms.

Thanks amigo! -Migs
Old 01-20-2009, 03:55 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

Can dig be set up with a Spektrum DX3R transmitter and a stock AX-10 (with additional parts)? Or will it require more channels? -Migs
Old 01-20-2009, 05:45 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Dig will work with that...he means MIP is that brand name for the center drive shaft. And the CVD's is the name for the type of axle that is used for turning. This helps with more of a turning radius which is key for crawling. You just have to search the vendors to see exactly what you want. I would also upgrade the steering servo. With the added weight of the tires, you're going to want a better servo. Atleast a Hitec 645mg or I think it is the 5645mg servo but don't quote me on that. You might want to even try high clearance links. It is made by a lot of companies but you can just buy the Axial ones. Helps on ground clearance.
the3kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 06:47 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Hi:

I have a HiTec HS-985MG servo for the steering. I'm curious for an aftermarket Dig. I haven't found any yet.

I ordered the CVD and some bent links.

Migs
Old 01-20-2009, 10:04 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migs View Post
Friends:

I have an AX10 with a Traxxas 12T55 Motor, HIMOTO 3 Way ESC, and 7.2 V Venom Flat battery packs. My rims have stick on lead strips in them. (About 75 grams in each). Foam is star cut.

What is a better Motor+ESC+Battery combination? I recently ordered metal drive shafts since I hear these break.

Thanks amigos!

Migs
Check here
http://www.rccrawler.com/axialcompbuild.html
xblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 11:09 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

i am using Novak's Rooster Combo. it has the ESC and 55T motor. works good. as far as a battery, i am currently using a 3000mah NIMH 6 cell pack. after i bought it, i decided to split it and run on the front axle. the extra weight has pretty much stopped the torque twist and the extra weight helps alot.

before anybody asks, yes i took the split battery mounts off and it is just strapped arong the servo. plenty of steering room.
robsdak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 07:52 PM   #9

Default upgrades

get 30deg links and skid plate or cut yours and relocate your lower links inside chassis. Get rid of stick pack and go with lipo or saddle pack batt and put it on front axle to get better center of gravity. Also relocate reciver and esc to upper links with pieces of lexan or plastic. New tires is a must. That is just a few. Here is a couple of pics of mine for options.

dudleydoright15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 04:21 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

What frame are you using in the pictures? Did you tint the clear Lexan panels or were they that way? -Migs

Last edited by Migs; 01-21-2009 at 04:25 AM.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:20 PM   #11

Default chassis and body panels

Migs the chassis is a TCS Edge and the body panels are just simply a 2 Liter Sprite bottle. The Edge chassis is half price right now on TCS.com. I used all my existing hardware on the truck then did the full droop on the suspension. Just let me know if you have any more questions?
Old 01-21-2009, 02:08 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

It looks really cool! I like the Sprite plastic panel idea. It would have not occurred to me and is simply a brilliant way to save some money! I like your chassis a lot more than the stock AX-10 body. Is it harder to work on since it isn't removable?
Old 01-21-2009, 04:41 PM   #13

here are some great ideas for the axial!

http://www.rccrawler.com/axialcompbuild.html
Crawler_from_Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 12:33 AM   #14

Nice rig DDR! Migs, don't let the big name brands for parts make ya thinks they are your only option. If you see stuff you can fabricate on your own, do it. You may come up with something cooler and more durable than the next guy. Lots of hardware can be found at places like ACE and NAPA, places that have good selections in "pic your own fastener" isles.

Some other tips I can along with DDR is your articulation. Alot is cool, but too much is useless. The goal is to have the lowest center of gravity, highest ground clearance, and the best controliblity. And balancing all these factors is the fun of the sport. Figuring out what works and what don't.

If you have your own pile of rocks and you can make over it, your pile of rocks is not difficult enough yet

Good luck, and I want to see pictures!
Skin Krawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 02:15 AM   #15

ditto on what skinkrawler said he is the one who actually brought up the sprite bottle I was just going to use a clear coke bottle but I am glad I went with some stile.
Old 01-22-2009, 05:53 AM   #16
Rock Stacker

You are right Skincrawler. I have been getting into this sport quickly, and now I have to stop and get the fundamentals down. Fortunately I enjoy the fabricating and tweaking probably more than the driving. Still, I bought some more aftermarket parts, and will tweak and tweak. That's I guess what it's all about. Thanks for your ideas! -Migs
Old 01-22-2009, 09:02 AM   #17
TN State Champ 11,12,13

Integy 55t motor $25.00
Tekin FXR esc $100.00
3 cell lipo $35.00

Look into the Tekin FXR it is awesome. I think there is also a Tekin motor/esc combo pak. Holmes Hobbies is a good place to look for lipos. Give him a call he is very helpful and has great customer service.
Pdog7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 11:35 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migs View Post
You are right Skincrawler. I have been getting into this sport quickly, and now I have to stop and get the fundamentals down. Fortunately I enjoy the fabricating and tweaking probably more than the driving. Still, I bought some more aftermarket parts, and will tweak and tweak. That's I guess what it's all about. Thanks for your ideas! -Migs
You're going to have one heck of rig with that attitude! Lets see some pictures!
Skin Krawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 12:19 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Upgrade that motor to a 45t or 55t. That is super cheap and easy to do.
shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 01:05 PM   #20
I joined the Band!

Novak Rooster ESC 55Tmotor combo is my choice.
grimgard is offline   Reply With Quote