Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Spur and pinion gear mesh

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2009, 09:25 AM   #1

Default Spur and pinion gear mesh

A friend of mine gave me a titanium spur gear and i am having a problem with the mesh in between the spur and pinion gear. and i hate the slight noise and a little chuggging noise that i get what should i do about adjusting them or should i just go back to the plastic spur gear any advice
desertfox62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2009, 10:50 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

could the pitch be off?
How's the mesh? I find with the stock ARTR spur I need to have it set tight, which isn't how I set up for my buggies.
If I leave even the slightest gap, it chugs and does not run smoothly.
So far so good though with that setting.
emidyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 11:08 AM   #3

Default spur and pinion mesh

Ok i will try that cause i really dont like the chugging noises or any loud noises it drives me nut's i will try it and i will post and let you know .Thanks
Old 01-16-2009, 01:05 PM   #4

Default spur and pinion gear mesh

The mesh looks ok but when i tried to get them tighter together like you said it made it worse more chugging and alot more noise .I use to race 1/8 mugen nitro buggies and i always had those gears meshed perfectly every time i guesss i was so used to doing it and now im into crawling who said it has bo be fast to have fun i have fun more now cause i dont break much stuff anymore..I would like to have a track built around here for crawlers we have road car tracks here and dirt tracks for buggys and stuff but nothing for crawlers i think that alot of peopls would get into alot more if we had something like that..If anyone has any ideas of how i can try to get something like started..Slow is the way to go !
Old 01-16-2009, 01:10 PM   #5
WVB
Quarry Creeper

a piece of printer paper should be able to run between pinion and spur for the correct gap...
WVB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 01:24 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

I find that just a tick tick back and forth works for me. Just enough to feel the gear move. 1/8 scale nitro buggy I have a tiny bit more play, but with the constant torque I find a tighter mesh is better.

Metal to metal is going to be louder no matter what I would think. Where did you get a Ti gear?
phillyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 01:31 PM   #7

Default gear mesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyb View Post
I find that just a tick tick back and forth works for me. Just enough to feel the gear move. 1/8 scale nitro buggy I have a tiny bit more play, but with the constant torque I find a tighter mesh is better.

Metal to metal is going to be louder no matter what I would think. Where did you get a Ti gear?
Well my friend got it for me and he thinks its a ti gear but i thinks its aluminum if you want to know i will ask him where he got it..
Old 01-16-2009, 02:55 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Its more than likely aluminum. Ive never heard of a spur gear being made of Ti, and if it was the cost would be off the wall. One real way to tell is the color. If its just the raw metal it will be more of a whitish silver if its alum. If its Ti it might have a deeper grey/silver to it.

Last edited by theslowguy; 01-16-2009 at 02:58 PM.
theslowguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 04:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by theslowguy View Post
Its more than likely aluminum. Ive never heard of a spur gear being made of Ti, and if it was the cost would be off the wall. One real way to tell is the color. If its just the raw metal it will be more of a whitish silver if its alum. If its Ti it might have a deeper grey/silver to it.
How do i post a pic of it so you can see it cause i am new to this site and it does have a silverish /gray color to it though but i think its aluminum also..
Old 01-16-2009, 04:52 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:

i would have agree. i ran mine loose and i find that tighter fit is better on the gears. the noise i had, came from the spur gear 'wobbling'. i just eye balled it, adjusting the three screws until it was straight.
robsdak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 04:19 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by robsdak View Post
i would have agree. i ran mine loose and i find that tighter fit is better on the gears. the noise i had, came from the spur gear 'wobbling'. i just eye balled it, adjusting the three screws until it was straight.
Yeah when i removed the pinion gear i was looking at the spur gear and it did have a little wobble so i i unscrewed them a little and eyeballed it to where it was as straight as i can get it and it helped alot but im going to try to get it better .
Old 01-17-2009, 05:04 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

it took a little bit of playing with it, but i got most of the noise out. i just run it tight. but, that said, i don't run it at full throttle. i dialed my forward and reverse back. it stays at 50%-60% most of the time. it helps me control the crawler better.
robsdak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 05:37 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by robsdak View Post
it took a little bit of playing with it, but i got most of the noise out. i just run it tight. but, that said, i don't run it at full throttle. i dialed my forward and reverse back. it stays at 50%-60% most of the time. it helps me control the crawler better.
I dont run mine at full throttle either i just dont like loud noises and you know when something dont sound right..thanks for the advice
Old 01-17-2009, 08:11 AM   #14
RCC Addict

don't know where my reply went.......

Metal gears are inherently noisy, go back to the plastic one if the noise bothers you.

Metal spurs wear quickly, plastic will last longer. A worn metal gear will make even more noise than a new metal gear.

The pinion makes a difference with noise. Losi pinions are quiet and last nearly forever, Robinsons are noisy and wear out quickly.

Re: getting perfect mesh with 1/8 scale gears......No one can hear the gears in a nitro 1/8 scale due to the engine noise. Electric 1/8 scales sound terrible since you can actually hear the gears.
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 09:13 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manning View Post
don't know where my reply went.......

Metal gears are inherently noisy, go back to the plastic one if the noise bothers you.

Metal spurs wear quickly, plastic will last longer. A worn metal gear will make even more noise than a new metal gear.

The pinion makes a difference with noise. Losi pinions are quiet and last nearly forever, Robinsons are noisy and wear out quickly.

Re: getting perfect mesh with 1/8 scale gears......No one can hear the gears in a nitro 1/8 scale due to the engine noise. Electric 1/8 scales sound terrible since you can actually hear the gears.
I agree, metal gear to metal gear is going to be much louder than plastic to metal.

As far as mesh with 1/8 you wont hear it when the car is running, but you can spin the tires for a long time and hear the drivetrain noise. Gas 1/8 is easier to mesh I think, you can spin the drivetrain with no resistance from the engine since it has a clutch. I can't wait to see a 1/8 electric run in person too.

I think tighter gears are necessary on a crawler due to the massive torque, again you should just barely be able to move the spur while holding the pinion - just enough to barely move. Mine still makes noise.
phillyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 04:35 PM   #16

Quote:
I agree, metal gear to metal gear is going to be much louder than plastic to metal.

As far as mesh with 1/8 you wont hear it when the car is running, but you can spin the tires for a long time and hear the drivetrain noise. Gas 1/8 is easier to mesh I think, you can spin the drivetrain with no resistance from the engine since it has a clutch. I can't wait to see a 1/8 electric run in person too.

I think tighter gears are necessary on a crawler due to the massive torque, again you should just barely be able to move the spur while holding the pinion - just enough to barely move. Mine still makes noise.
If i put both gears closer to each other it makes alot of noise.So i put a piece of printer paper between them then tighted the motor it was alot quiter but just has a little noise that is not as bad as it was before.And the 1/8 buggy was a nitro not electric