Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Optional Ratio Gear Sets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2009, 10:47 AM   #81
I wanna be Dave

done thanks
sloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2009, 10:47 AM   #82
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axial View Post
Brad has been running the stock ratio in the rear with the high speed in the front, he loves it!
Yes I do!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDheavymetal View Post
Was Brad running the high gear in front and low gear in the back at Lake Wohlford last week end? His truck was running great. I need to decided if I should run the hi-lo setup. Thanks for listening. Matt
I was running the high speed gears out front with the standard ring and pinion out back. It virtually eliminates any and all torque twist. My rig is working better then ever right now.

I had both gear sets installed for the Nevada State Championships, but the ratios were too different, and it hurt me in a few situations.
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 12:01 PM   #83
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller View Post
There are a ton of things that transfer directly from the 1:1 world to rc's.
And even more that don't! The weight to size ratios are so far off, that most performance aspects don't translate over very well at all.

I like the slightly different ratios f&r though.

But what do I know. I am just a dumb rc'r. Never did own one of them there big trucks before.
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 12:03 PM   #84
Pebble Pounder

Me and my partner jimmy rigged a few gear sets from other cars awhile ago but they didn't last long but worked great. Now they are finally available. I will be ordering a set for all 3 of my axiall axled rigs.
rockbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 02:24 PM   #85
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENDER View Post

It virtually eliminates any and all torque twist. My rig is working better then ever right now.
That's the ticket. I was waiting to hear that. Can't wait to get mine. You guys should throw them in a stock ax-10 and compare. One fully stock, one fully stock but with diff gears and larger pinion on the motor. Man R&D would be a fun job

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb View Post
And even more that don't! The weight to size ratios are so far off, that most performance aspects don't translate over very well at all.

I like the slightly different ratios f&r though.

But what do I know. I am just a dumb rc'r. Never did own one of them there big trucks before.
RC crawlers work by the same laws of physics that 1:1 crawlers do, just on a different scale no matter how you argue it. I don't mean to start a pissing match between 1:1 folks and rc folks, sounds like you might have a crawler too. What I do know is that when you are spending over 20K and hundreds of man hours to build a buggy you're more likely to spend the time figuring out how to build it the right way the first time than by trial and error.

Link geometry
Tire compound
CG
Digs
Akerman angle
Tire contact patch
Axle gearing
Tranny gearing

I could be way off base but I can't think of much that doesn't translate over. Physics is physics big or small.

Moving the torque into the axles with a lower gear set will reduce torque twist. And that's why it's hella rad that axial came out with these. Even lower gears will let you run bigger tires without feeling the increase in torque twist. Argue that with God not me, I didn't make the rules.
miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 02:39 PM   #86
I wanna be Dave

Hey Miller. The funny thing is Brad is running stock gears out back and the higher setup up front. He did not go bigger with the pinion. So basiclly he has just transfered the toque some. But yet leaving the stock set out back and putting the higher set up front HAS eliminated his torque twist.
bigflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 02:47 PM   #87
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I was running the high speed gears out front with the standard ring and pinion out back. It virtually eliminates any and all torque twist. My rig is working better then ever right now.
What's the tooth count on the gears (pinion/spur) you're running?

Last edited by P1choco; 01-20-2009 at 03:25 PM. Reason: email notification
P1choco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 02:48 PM   #88
Nope..

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavelinSST390 View Post
This even benfits us WK guys, too. Shweeeeeet.
You read my mind! I was just thinking how turning 5.5" tires was about to get a little easier.
Brainstain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 02:50 PM   #89
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SdArcher View Post
What's the tooth count on the gears (pinion/spur) you're running?
I'm running the stock 87t spur and 14t pinion right now.
Old 01-20-2009, 03:12 PM   #90
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigflex View Post
Hey Miller. The funny thing is Brad is running stock gears out back and the higher setup up front. He did not go bigger with the pinion. So basiclly he has just transfered the toque some. But yet leaving the stock set out back and putting the higher set up front HAS eliminated his torque twist.
My brain hurts Maybe the front pulling faster takes the load off the rear Lol fawk I just want a set of these now so I can get over this I suspect most of his twist was already dialed out being an expert comp super driving machine Let's see some stock stuff side by side with no preloaded springs. A control and variable...anyone have kids needing a science project

Last edited by miller; 01-20-2009 at 03:17 PM.
miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 03:29 PM   #91
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I'm running the stock 87t spur and 14t pinion right now.
Thanks. I'm running a 12t pinion. Not sure which set I'd like to get. Any word on when they'll become available?
Old 01-20-2009, 05:06 PM   #92
Rock Crawler

Quote:
My brain hurts Maybe the front pulling faster takes the load off the rear

I suspect most of his twist was already dialed out being an expert comp super driving machine Let's see some stock stuff side by side with no preloaded springs. A control and variable...anyone have kids needing a science project
I was thinking the same thing, with the front pulling faster, the torque is now transferred to the right front tire. Now instead of it wanting pull up, physics is pushing it down greater that the force of the rear wanting to pull it up. Damn, now my brain hurts too I am no expert either, but makes sense. Plus I would imagine Brad's rig might be dialed in but what does he know
THnCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 01:18 AM   #93
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by THnCS View Post
I was thinking the same thing, with the front pulling faster, the torque is now transferred to the right front tire. Now instead of it wanting pull up, physics is pushing it down greater that the force of the rear wanting to pull it up. Damn, now my brain hurts too I am no expert either, but makes sense. Plus I would imagine Brad's rig might be dialed in but what does he know

Front pushing down? That's a good thing right?
Old 01-21-2009, 01:22 AM   #94
Gettin’ back on the horse

I just look at like clod stall, it helps climb by the front traveling at a faster rate right?
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 09:07 AM   #95
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
My brain hurts Maybe the front pulling faster takes the load off the rear Lol fawk I just want a set of these now so I can get over this I suspect most of his twist was already dialed out being an expert comp super driving machine Let's see some stock stuff side by side with no preloaded springs. A control and variable...anyone have kids needing a science project
That's pretty much it. My rig really didn't have any torque twist in most situations before I installed the gears. But, now with the high speed gears out front, the front axle spins a little faster then the rear. So, when I stuff the front tires into a vertical wall, the front tires pull the chassis up before the rear axle torques the chassis over to the left side. Plus, when I engage dig to make a turn it whips the front around even faster then before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THnCS View Post
My rig is dialed more then ever right now, especially with the gears installed out front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURTLE View Post
I just look at like clod stall, it helps climb by the front traveling at a faster rate right?
Correct, only the rear axle doesn't lag for more then a split second unlike clod/berg stall can in some situations.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:48 AM   #96
Quarry Creeper

So Brad you are running the 36/14 up front. correct
rockassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:51 AM   #97
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockassassin View Post
So Brad you are running the 36/14 up front. correct
Correct.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:01 AM   #98
Quarry Creeper

So I guess my rig that has almost no torque twist could still work a little better by putting lower gear set in rear? And what is stock ratio ax-10 come with?
BIGJOEDUCKSLAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 11:18 AM   #99
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJOEDUCKSLAYE View Post
So I guess my rig that has almost no torque twist could still work a little better by putting lower gear set in rear? And what is stock ratio ax-10 come with?
Absolutely.

Stock is 13/38.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:00 PM   #100
Rock Crawler

Great news, now i can change out the HPI set in the front with the real stuff.
Speedracer19 is offline   Reply With Quote