Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: My first attempt at a crawler, Scorpion ARTR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2009, 11:14 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default My first attempt at a crawler, Scorpion ARTR

Pictures have been updated as of 4/28/09

Just thought I would post some pictures of my project in the works. Started off with the Scorpion ARTR kit purchased back in the end of october.

- Integy 55t lathe motor
- Castle Creations - sidewinder ESC
- 3s 1500mah lipo's
- Stage killa body
- CKRC wiggle servo
- Losi Crawler shocks
- HB Rovers
- DX3R Radio system

The only mods I have done so far is to drill 1/8" holes in each rim and add some wheel weight. I need to either zip tie my driveshafts or upgrade them....

I can't wait to hit the rocks!

Photobucket

Last edited by dano104; 09-10-2009 at 04:44 PM. Reason: Images that i didn't post
dano104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2009, 12:50 AM   #2
I joined the Band!

Nice crawler and congrats on your new hobby! Looks like you have a good start. Welcome to the forums
grimgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 03:14 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Thank you! I believe I'm going to get a Venom ac/dc charger, and just a TQ3 for now so I can get on the rocks quicker!
Old 01-30-2009, 03:40 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Congrats on the purchase, will be watching for updates.
rckcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 05:38 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Good stuff hope you like it...by the way, you might want to change the front springs up, there a little too stiff. Just something simple that can help alot.
the3kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 11:02 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

SO addicting, and just as much fun as 1.1's. (with out the feel but with all the thrill)
You'll learn fast on here which will save you trial and error and help you get the most enjoyment out of your crawler. Nice build so far, I aggree with the springs tho, change'm and possibly add more weight to the tires. They should "squish" a little bit. Search for wheel weights or weighted wheels and you should see what's working for others with your setup. Oh yeah,,,,Welcome.
Krakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 12:27 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Welcome to the forum! I'm fairly new here as well and new to crawling only a couple of weeks ago. Since I bought my AX10 I havn't even thought about my other RC's This forum is really good and friendly with loads of advice and tuning tips. I've just bought some weights for my wheels. I'm trying to get the centre of gravity down lower.
eemmaaxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 09:25 PM   #8

you picked a great crawler as your first one...i own 2 scorpions myself and love them...there are a ton of after market item available for them
ON THE ROCKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 10:08 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

very very nice start
zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 10:19 PM   #10

welcome to the hobby, i myself have only had my ax10 for 3 weeks and i love it. dont even bother to play with my tmaxx any more. try fliping youre tranny around also, its really simple to do and helps with tourge twist a bunch.
jersdime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 03:37 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I just installed a CKRC Wiggle servo, it is only rated at 190 oz at 6v, I hope it proves to be enough. Just ordered some super soft springs, now just waiting for the charger to come in...

Any opinions on this off brand servo?
Old 02-06-2009, 11:52 AM   #12
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dano104 View Post
I just installed a CKRC Wiggle servo, it is only rated at 190 oz at 6v, I hope it proves to be enough. Just ordered some super soft springs, now just waiting for the charger to come in...

Any opinions on this off brand servo?
Never heard of it. I am still using the stock RTR servo and its super tough so no need to replace it. The RTR comes with a Futba MG HT standard servo no idea what the specs are other than it has a metal gear and is high torque and a futuba servo horn fits it
grimgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 12:02 PM   #13
Just jump it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dano104 View Post
Thank you! I believe I'm going to get a Venom ac/dc charger, and just a TQ3 for now so I can get on the rocks quicker!
I love my venom charger it charges batterys for all of these.Lipo and all
rottenbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 12:04 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Looks good so far, I just built my AX-10 last night, and have a JR 9100T servo handling the wheel swinging duties. And beleive me, it will fling em around....(I pulled it out of my 1/8 Truggy )
JarheadRCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 12:11 PM   #15

Hi, I'm new to rock crawling but not r/c. Just ordered one of these as well. With goat brushless, ckrc dig and mip drives.Lookin' foreward to recieving it, but glad to be seeing your pictures in the meantime, thanks.....
canada_jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:22 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Now that I have received the radio system, the super soft springs, the complete set of dean's connectors, and the old trusty 3rd hand i'm ready to build finally! I do have to make a trip to Wal-Mart for a soldering iron. Should be ready to roll by Thursday.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:01 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottenbelly View Post
I love my venom charger it charges batterys for all of these.Lipo and all
holy crap thats alot of vehicles
BEN214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 11:12 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Now that I received my charger (b-day) present, Triton EQ ac/dc I have completed my build.....

Lets just say I have a new addiction. Rock crawling is a blast. I must say the softer springs were a good upgrade. I love the Sidewinder with the Castle link. The Triton EQ has endless programming potential. I'm only using a Traxxas TQ3 for now... hope to upgrade to a DX3R soon though.

Needless to say I'm hooked and hope to be here for a loooong while, my wife seems to be pretty supportive so I have that in my favor.
Old 02-18-2009, 02:07 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

So here is where I am at so far.

-Scorpion artr
-Integy 55t
-Sidewinder
-super soft springs
-8-cell elite split pack
-CKRC wiggle 190 oz servo
-6 oz weighted fronts 3 oz rears, all rims drilled with 2 - 1/8" holes
-Traxxas tq3 radio system
-Stock wheels with Proline hammers
-Electrifly Triton eq charger

What should be my next obvious upgrade?
Old 02-18-2009, 04:53 AM   #20

Default yeah

I just recently built my artr kit useing the novak/55t motor combo hitec 645mg and a 7.2v 4200 battery and 2.2 m2 flatirons, after loseing interest in my modded mrc, so our trucks are very simular, the first thing I am going for it to get a skid that moves my bent links on the inside cause when I am sliding sideways over a rock sometimes it hooks up and sends it left or right, allso getting some tcs 4 links front and rear to help the tourque twist...... other then that since you allready have the split packs up front I would say its pretty much finished unless you want a serious competition tough rig.... then I would suggest looking at a dna slingshot chassis or an SWX, way to sick.. and if not a new chassis deffenetly some new shocks the stock ones are good with the red supersoft springs but i know there is way better...oh and drill holes in the rims and add weights!
victor is offline   Reply With Quote