Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: My AX10 Rebuild

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2009, 10:33 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default My AX10 Rebuild-Now SWX!

Ok so Sunday night well Monday morning at about 1am I started a rebuild on my AX10. All in all it took me about 4 hours and the whole purpose is to try and get rid of the dreaded torque twist. It kinda reminds me of death wobble in a Jeep TJ lol. Just when you think you have it figured out well you were wrong. Ok so here is what i started with.

Basically bone stock other than a TCS 4 link plate in the rear and stock Axial plastic straight axle conversion in the rear. Shock travel limiters inside the shocks, star cut tire foam, 7 1/4 ounce lead sticky weights in each front wheel (free because my sister works at a car dealership might be getting a whole box if anyone needs any) Tekin FXR with a 55t, Hitec HS 645mg, Hitec Aggressor 3 channel Fm and its waterproofed which I may have to do away with. Other than that it is bone stock.

This is the stock setup on my test board...thanks for the idea on that Kane it works great for testing...but yeah lots of torque twist as you can see by the lifted rt front tire.

I tore the truck down and started by cutting out the skid plate to mount the link arms inside the frame. I also drilled holes in the frame rails for longer custom upper links. They were drilled in the same spot as the CKRC stage 2 kit holes are to be drilled. I marked these holes with the hex wrenches for reference. Basically my plan was to do something like the CKRC stage 2 kit.

Next i made spacers 8mm to mount the shocks on the outside and the links on the inside. The spacers were made from tubbing i got at Hobby Town 1/4 x.049 wall stock number 3061 made by K&S engineering and the custom upper links were made from 3/16x.035 wall stock number 3030. I made the upper links 75mm long which worked out great for where i drilled the holes in the frame. The link tubing is a little this and i don't know how it will hold up but it wasn't to much money so why not. Also the m3x16 set screws thread right into the ends of this tubing.

Here is what the shock and lower link setup looks like with the spacers. Upper links not yet installed. The lower links need to be spaced in 6mm more but the longest screw I could get locally was 30mm and i need 40mm length. Guess I will need to order them somewhere else. I did the same to the front axle but for now the front axle is keeping the stock upper links till i figure out what battery's to run and where I am going to locate the electronics.

This is the rear axle with longer upper links installed on the rear. The rear is running stock spring and the front I am using med springs but I am going to have to play with that a little. Skoal and Coca Cola is what helped keep me up till 5am for this rebuild.

Here is the test run after the build with the board at the same angle. Notice no tire lift :-P. It still did lift a little under hard acceleration though but not nearly as much as with the stock suspension setup. I was pretty pleased with these results.

Here is the board at a steeper angle. Tire lift was minor when compared to stock. With the stock setup the truck flipped right off the board at this angle. The next thing on my list is to run different battery's to lower the CG and to 4 link the front. After i 4 link the front I'm gonna need to relocate my esc but thats no biggie. Anyway any suggestions would be great. Thanks for checking out my build I hope it wasn't to wordy .

Last edited by AlmstEvil665; 10-09-2009 at 04:32 AM.
AlmstEvil665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2009, 11:50 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Made a few more upgrades...new tires, new body- my first timw airbrushing a lexan body I think it turned out really good no bleeding under the tape Tamiya tape is amazing and worth every penny, bent rear lower links which helped out a lot, moved the battery and mirrored the tranmission. As soon as my LHS gets its new shippment of lipos i'm going to switch over. That big 6 cell pack is killing me. Anyway here are some pictures enjoy.

Old 02-15-2009, 12:09 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Not to much of a Chevy fan but it looks good. I cant wait to get home to do some more things to mine.
boisetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 12:18 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by boisetrucker View Post
Not to much of a Chevy fan but it looks good. I cant wait to get home to do some more things to mine.
I didn't really like this body at first but its all my hobby shop really had that I liked. I like it now that its all painted up though I think it looks pretty good. Its growing on me though. I'm die hard Jeep then Chevy then VW lol odd combo but oh well its what I like
Old 02-15-2009, 12:56 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Nice looking rig, congrats on the paint job.
rckcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 01:09 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckcrawler View Post
Nice looking rig, congrats on the paint job.
Thanks I got a long way to go its still not near as capable as it can be. I need to play with the suspension and get the dig installed. Our comp season is only 2 weeks away and I'm not near ready.
Old 02-15-2009, 01:27 AM   #7
Ex Nor-CalRCRC slave

Rig looks good. You might want to try to triangulate your bottom links as well. That along with preloading the driver-side rear shock will get rid of more twist, along with playing with oil wt. If your going to comp. get all the weight as low as possible. All of it.
gunnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 11:41 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I did triagulate the lower links a little bit. I need to get some 3x40 screws and make some more spacers to move he lower links in even more. I think I need some weight in the rear though too and I'm gettin lipos at the end of of the month. I plan on mounting them on the rear axle. I still need to put my four link on the front butni was told that doesn't make a bid difference.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:01 AM   #9
Ex Nor-CalRCRC slave

3 link or 4 link will work on the front. The secret to any link suspension working is link placement, shock springs and location and oil wieght. Tires, foams and wheel wieght all play an important part. It will take alot of experimentation to get just the right combination. I am just starting this process now on my junk, and I doubt I'll be done anytiime soon! If you look at my build, and other comp builds you will see what I mean about getting the weight low. I doesn't have to cost alot of $, but it does take a bit of thinking.

Last edited by gunnar; 02-16-2009 at 01:04 AM.
gunnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 04:31 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

This truck has come a long way since February. Just ordered a bunch of new parts and plan to do a complete overhaul. I haven't kept up with the build thread because I'm lazy. Here is a recent picture of the truck more to come in the next few days...

Last edited by AlmstEvil665; 10-09-2009 at 04:33 AM.