Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Snap and bind with dig normal?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2009, 09:48 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Snap and bind with dig normal?

8 cell NiMH, stock trans with a Intregy 45T motor and HR dig.
Is it normal for there to be popping and snapping sounds accompanied with the ARTR lurching when using the dig under tension situations?

It never slips or misshifts, its just won't shift sometimes due to the bind. I know using a stronger servo would make it shift 100% but as it is the dig really snaps hard often. I don't want to abuse it by forcing it and shorten its life span more than necessary.
VeryBumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2009, 09:59 PM   #2
Ex Nor-CalRCRC slave

Well, you are forcing two metal parts to do something that they don't want to do. All digs are not perfect(but there are some that might be close)

Last edited by gunnar; 04-28-2009 at 10:05 PM.
gunnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 10:03 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

What dig are you running?

What servo (w/ oz) are you running?

Something that might help is moving the linkage to the last hole of that horn, that will get the action of the dig more parallel with the drivetrain.

No, there is no popping and very little binding with my did. Every now and then it will required me to cycle it to get it into 4x4, and it will bind a little when there is a heavy load on the rear axel.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 10:09 PM   #4
Ex Nor-CalRCRC slave

He posted HR (Hot Racing)
gunnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 06:02 AM   #5
Custom Carbon Fiber

if im correct, the internals are the same design as the RC4WD setup?

I had the same problems with my CKRC one, it wouldnt release sometimes unless I popped the throttle or used the steering to straighten the frame out and take the pressure off.

after playing around with it and adjusting things I found that when I assembled the tranny case to the dig plate i was over tightening the screws causing the case to tweak. this would throw the alignment off and create my binding.

did you have to file the output shaft at all? can you easily engage and disengage the dig with no prop shaft on it by hand? does it engage by hand smoothly?

if you cant engage and disengage it smoothly by hand i would try loosing the screws jsut a little bit. inspect your tranny case to see if the plastic looks squished around the bolt heads. i found it was mostly the 4th screw that gets the nut and the bolt underneath the spur that the motor plate mounts to. overtightening either of these i would twist the plate and it wouldnt alighn right.

after a couple hours of adjusting my dig works flawlessly now, i can engage and disengage while remaining on the throttle and it never gives me a problem now.

hope that helps ..... good luck

btw my first servo was just a little over 60oz in torque and worked perfect so a bigger servo (like your thinking) will help bandaide the situation but wont fix the problem.

Last edited by Robbob; 04-29-2009 at 06:04 AM.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 06:15 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

i'm finding it easier to shift my DNA dig at a slower speed then full throttle and also try to shift it on the move before my rig gets into a bind to give it a chance to shift without any bind/pop ...............bob

bob1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 08:44 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post

did you have to file the output shaft at all? can you easily engage and disengage the dig with no prop shaft on it by hand? does it engage by hand smoothly?

btw my first servo was just a little over 60oz in torque and worked perfect so a bigger servo (like your thinking) will help bandaide the situation but wont fix the problem.
Before installing the dig I did the 'polish' tricks to smooth out all the shafts and sliding surfaces as they all felt a bit rough. No filing or any changes needed. It operates perfect by hand and when doing medium difficult crawling. It shifts great 85% of the time.

It really is only under high tension or bind when it won't shift properly. Best example is when going steep downhill off a sharp very grippy rock. Just before the truck 'falls' off I'll lock the rear wheel dig to drag, slow and let the truck down easily as possible to not flip forward. Once the truck is sort of hanging there off the rock by mostly the rear wheels I'll try and unlock the rear dig but nope, not happening, unless I tap reverse slightly to unbind it.

I'm thinking that its more so the rear drive shaft that may be causing the issue. Do you guys lube the driveshaft where the male and female slide together? I left my stock ARTR shafts dry as to not attract dirt.
VeryBumpy is offline   Reply With Quote