Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Jurassic Park Wrangler Project

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2009, 07:18 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Jurassic Park Wrangler Project

Hi all I hope this is in the right forum ! Mods feel free to move it if I've messed up.

This is my build thread on my Jurassic Park Jeep Wrangler. This is the first time I've ever attempted to paint a shell so please forgive the little errors I'm certain to make!

I've started with an HPi Jeep Wrangler Rubicon shell and used slight artistic license to adapt the movie design to fit my shell. The version used in the JP movie was the 90's Sahara so there are some variations in the design such as the front headlights being round on my model and the wheel arches are more pronounced on my shell. Also the roof is different but I think I'd rather leave it in place because when I tip it over it won't just crumple. Maybe in the future when I get better at this I will construct a roll bar / cage like to further imitate the look of the movie version but for now this will have to do!
So anyway this thread is useless without pics!
Here I go masking up the different sections as best I can... Took much longer than anticipated!!

Applied the grey coat, decided half way through I should have done this last since it's lightest? I dunno too late now anyway, keep going!

Once dry I masked around the edges of the grey and added some red.

I plonked it ontop of the Axial to see what it might eventually look like, I realise that I can't call this thing a scaler but I think it will fit ok for my purposes!

Seems as if the tape I used was a bit too pourus and a little bit of red has seeped in so I'll go around it and touch it up later...

A bit more done now, the hardest bit is getting the font for the numbering on the stripe and bonnet right, but I think I've almost got that sorted, that's the last bit to do before I get some sort of sealer to spray over the outside to protect the graphics.

I need to make a mini bullwhip for the back, I'm going to dig through the workshop at the weekend and find something suitable... not sure how to mount it yet...

Then I need to figure out how to mount the shell onto the ax10 chassis.

Ok here it is mostly paitned up. I had to use a bit of artistic license for now, I don't want to really compromise the integrity of the shell.

Here I am having cut the thing out, much harder to do than I anticipated! Argh!!

Plonked it ontop of the chassis to see how it fit. I don't think it looks too oversized so I'm quite happy for now.

I have a few more little bits of graphics to get on there but I keep forgetting to bring them to the office to get laminated, I made a mini license plate and a tour pass to hang in the cab. I will post some pics when I get it finished and mounted to the chassis.

I managed to find some sticky back transparency paper which works well enough for my purposes and allowed me to print off the illusive 'JP 18' and '18' decals I needed.

The last bits I need to do now is source a new set of wheels and paint them red, add the CB bullwhip, get my mini license plates lamited and stick on then seal it all with a fixing spray.

Some pics I took earlier:

So after all that I drove my Ax10 half way up to the 'Drake Stone' which is a huge sandstone rock deposited on the top of a hill during the last ice age.

Local legend has it that they used to march witches up there and have them climb the drake stone as a test to see if they were magic. The thinking behind it being that it's impossible to climb over the drake stone without dying... Hmm.

Anyway, made it half way up the trail before loosing a grub screw and forcing retirement. I'll make it all the way up next time. A fantastic trail ranging from really easy to almost impossible looking with a fair bit of mud to negotiate. Loved it!

An overview of the trail, it's deceptive and snakes back on itself quite a few times. You can see the big lump at the top middle left which is the Drake Stone, you can almost make out the stone pile I got to which is in the middle of the picture.

Here's a link to my youtube video I made of the run, which I'm quite proud of
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uw6BOXMt5eA

I hope you all enjoyed my thread, I did finally get my mini license plate and tour pass laminated and stuck onto my shell although I havn't taken a picture of it yet, I will post one when I do!
stutheitguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2009, 07:23 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

That looks awesome! Now all it needs is a large T-Rex chasing it and a Newman figure sitting in the seat!!
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 11:28 AM   #3
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
That looks awesome! Now all it needs is a large T-Rex chasing it and a Newman figure sitting in the seat!!
Like this??

Quick! Drive faster he is gaining on us!!!

grimgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 11:29 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Haha that is way cool. I loved that movie as a kid. Nice work, turned out good
fortysixandtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 11:30 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimgard View Post
Like this??

Quick! Drive faster he is gaining on us!!!

Hahaha

"Must drive faster must drive faster"
fortysixandtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 12:19 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the comments guys ! I'm very pleased at how it came out in the end! I think maybe, if I could find a more true to scale shell I'd like to have another go but do one with a correct roll bar and get some more scale items for it but for now, I'm happy

Lol that picture is great I'm going to put it on my website, thanks mate !
Old 03-06-2009, 12:23 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Go droop and get the body lower, it'll look more realistic.Still a good build tho.
Krakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 12:26 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Noice! Ever thought of running a droop setup to get the ride height down a bit? I think it would look really good dropped a bit.

Someone do the Explorer now!
Ty@Tekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 12:48 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Great job on the paint . Looks like a fun place to drive your rig.
70duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 01:07 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Thanks again guys !

I'd love to have a go at the explorer but I think you'd need some serious vinyl stickers to do it...

I'm afraid I'm still a newbie and this droop illudes me, is that when you run shocks without springs ?
Old 03-06-2009, 01:39 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by stutheitguy View Post
I'm afraid I'm still a newbie and this droop illudes me, is that when you run shocks without springs ?
Great job on the paint!

That is one way to run droop, you can also use springs under the pistons to help keep your shocks compressed when sidehilling.

Poke around a bit in this forum and in the general crawlers section there are some great threads on droop
Nate08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 01:48 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Love the body its very original!
BrandonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 02:49 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by stutheitguy View Post
The version used in the JP movie was the 90's Sahara so there are some variations in the design such as the front headlights being round on my model and the wheel arches are more pronounced on my shell. Also the roof is different but I think I'd rather leave it in place because when I tip it over it won't just crumple.
you mean like this
http://www.shop.rpphobby.com/product...productId=1499

Nice build...very original!
cman_1500w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 02:59 AM   #14
Rock Stacker

Just a couple more pics to finish this thread off. I got some mud slingers and added some little bits of detailing to the shell such as the licence plate and the 'tour pass'. I hope you all enjoyed my thread, thanks for all the comments!

Old 03-16-2009, 03:21 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

Location: You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy

this is a kick a$$ build i took my lil nephew to jp when it came out and it scared the poo out of him
DeweyCJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 03:26 AM   #16

great job on the body and the backgrounds in your pics look cool lol
SPiDA WEBBiE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 04:16 AM   #17
Rock Stacker

Yeah it's been over ten years since JP and I still check buildings for 'potential raptor entry points'