Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Quick swx Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2009, 04:18 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Quick swx Question

So I just bought the swx today and hooked it up, using CKRC 120mm shocks at the moment and with trying to lower the ground clearance they are almost fully compressed, is there any way of of setting up the positions without having to go with a 4 inch shock that i see alot of people running.
hitman1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2009, 04:28 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Are you using bent lower links or straight links?
treday619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 04:40 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by treday619 View Post
Are you using bent lower links or straight links?
straight, got the full swx conversion and just used the links that came with it, and kinda made the shocks a little better, but the driveshaft is rubbing on the chassis
Old 03-23-2009, 04:55 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman1989 View Post
straight, got the full swx conversion and just used the links that came with it, and kinda made the shocks a little better, but the driveshaft is rubbing on the chassis
Are you running fuel tubing under the shocks for limiters? Just sounds like the shocks are pulling the truck down too much. Can you post a picture of what your rig looks like. This might give a better understanding of the issue (link geometry). You could play with moving the links around. Use photobucket and then link the pictures into this website.

Last edited by treday619; 03-23-2009 at 04:57 PM.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:28 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

no fuel tubing and here is a link to my album http://s667.photobucket.com/albums/vv38/hitman19899891/
Old 03-23-2009, 05:41 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

In the pictures there could be two things going on.

1. The truck is sitting too high. It looks like your driveshafts are bent. If you push down on the tranny do the drive shafts not hit anymore. Try pushing it down a bit like a 1/4"?

2. You might want to also add the spacers that came with the SWX Chassis to your upper links to clock the axles a bit. Also adding a 1/4" of fuel tubing under the shocks.

I run mine in the most outer hole using a 1/4" of fuel tubing to bring down the ride height and the axles are clocked a tad for better driveshaft angle.

Last edited by treday619; 03-23-2009 at 05:44 PM.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:46 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by treday619 View Post
In the pictures there could be two things going on.

1. The truck is sitting too high. It looks like your driveshafts are bent. If you push down on the tranny do the drive shafts not hit anymore. Try pushing it down a bit like a 1/4"?

2. You might want to also add the spacers that came with the SWX Chassis to your upper links to clock the axles a bit. Also adding a 1/4" of fuel tubing under the shocks.

I run mine in the most outer hole using a 1/4" of fuel tubing to bring down the ride height and the axles are clocked a tad for better driveshaft angle.
yeah when i push down a bit the drive shafts dont hit anymore, and where would i put the fuel tubing?
Old 03-23-2009, 05:47 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman1989 View Post
yeah when i push down a bit the drive shafts dont hit anymore, and where would i put the fuel tubing?

You would want to put the fuel tubing on the shock piston inside the shock. 1/4" at a time
Old 03-23-2009, 06:45 PM   #9
Ex Nor-CalRCRC slave

You'll probably need 3/8" to 1/2" of tubing on the shock shaft in between the bottom of the shock body and the piston, so the piston will sit about halfway or so down in the shock body. Don't worry about articulation, you'll still have enough that it will run great.
gunnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 06:45 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Lets see if we can explain that a little better. If you take the cap off the top you wil see the piston on the shock shaft. Then you will need to take the eye off the bottom and push the shaft through the top so the whole asembly comes out. Put the fuel tubing in between the piston and the bottom of the shock body so that way it limits how for the shock can extend. I hope all that makes sense. I have the same shocks with a stock chassis and mine are limited to 3/4 of a inch in the rear and 1 inch in the front but I like a real low CG.
Robb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 07:57 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Thanks guys, ill try that tommorow and hope it works may mess around with some different settings and what not tonight
Old 03-23-2009, 08:34 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

I am not a expert on the SWX but most that I have seen have a dig on them.

You would have to ask Bender but I thought they were designed for a dig. They are a longer chassis and without a dig it puts your trans mounting right in the middle which is extending your drive shafts and putting them at an angle they were not meant to be at.

Things I would do are

1. like the others said lower your rig to around 2-3/4 - 3 inches of ground clearance

2. what is your wheel base at? you need to be at 12-1/2 your drive shaft looks way extended in your pictures

3. Get a dig
crawlincircles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 11:59 AM   #13
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlincircles View Post
I am not a expert on the SWX but most that I have seen have a dig on them.

You would have to ask Bender but I thought they were designed for a dig. They are a longer chassis and without a dig it puts your trans mounting right in the middle which is extending your drive shafts and putting them at an angle they were not meant to be at.

Things I would do are

1. like the others said lower your rig to around 2-3/4 - 3 inches of ground clearance

2. what is your wheel base at? you need to be at 12-1/2 your drive shaft looks way extended in your pictures

3. Get a dig
1. its sitting at about that.

2. Its about 12 1/2- 12 3/4 but i am running rustler driveshafts on the one side which i am gonna replace cause i think that may be a big problem

3. was hoping not too do that lol, but ill look into it
Old 03-24-2009, 12:18 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

If your truck is at those points then I think a dig is about it. The only thing that makes sense is that your trans is in the middle of that extra long chassis.

Check out the S3R DIG I have both a DNA and this one and the S3R is the bombhttp://www.shop.rpphobby.com/product...productId=1512

Here is a S3R installed in a SWX, (second page) ask him any questions about it.
Another SWX
crawlincircles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 12:22 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlincircles View Post
If your truck is at those points then I think a dig is about it. The only thing that makes sense is that your trans is in the middle of that extra long chassis.

Check out the S3R DIG I have both a DNA and this one and the S3R is the bombhttp://www.shop.rpphobby.com/product...productId=1512

Here is a S3R installed in a SWX, (second page) ask him any questions about it.
Another SWX
In theory the SWX chassis was created to have space for a dig but you do not have to run one. The only reason the drive shafts are hitting the chassis is because the rig is sitting too high and the drivehsaft angle needs to be adjusted. Also if you plan to comp you need to be at 12.5" or less.