Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: having problem with throttle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2009, 07:34 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default having problem with throttle?

hello everyone,

this is my first time posting a thread. i just recently put my first crawler together and it seems to by in great shap except when i throttle to go forward the crawler sputters to take off and sometimes crawls at a very slow pace as if the battery was bout to die. i dont seem to have these problems if i go in reverse though.

could someone please help me with this, i think i have everything hooked up correctly. can someone please tell me what my problem could be?

thanks
lildjloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2009, 07:44 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

What ESC and radio are you running?
MCSCOTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 07:51 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

my speed controller is the CC sidewinder and i have the futaba 2PH-2 channel AM..
Old 03-27-2009, 07:58 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

If it's a Sidewinder it sounds like your motor settings on the ESC are wrong. They come in setup as brushless, so if you're running a brushed motor you need to change that setting.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:02 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

thats been done. i actually had that done yesterday when i went in to purchase deans to soder to the esc.

do you have any other idea on what it could be? any suggestions will help.

thanks
Old 03-27-2009, 08:09 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

When you go forward, does the ESC light turn green or Red? If it turns red, reverse the motor wires and reverse the throttle channel.
mOOsE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 08:12 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

im not sure what color the light on the ESC turns when going forward, i will hvae to check that at lunch time.

but what do you mean by reverse the throttle channel?

thx
Old 03-27-2009, 08:16 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

He means on your radio you should have a switch for each channel to reverse it. If you're having issues with it going either way it seems like you would still have that issue. Check back over all your wires, make sure your antenna wire isn't touching any metal or other electronics, even try holding it up away from everything and see if that changes things. Other than that I'm not sure where the issue could be unless you need to recalibrate the ESC.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:18 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lildjloop View Post
im not sure what color the light on the ESC turns when going forward, i will hvae to check that at lunch time.

but what do you mean by reverse the throttle channel?

thx
There is usually a switch or menu (computer radio's) to reverse your throttle channel. It simply reverses the function of the throttle trigger on the radio...IE forward would make the car go in reverse. So if your esc is showing a red light when going forward, then you need to reverse the motor wires as its going the wrong way. Once you do this, the radio trigger will now be backwards so you would need to reverse the throttle channel on the radio.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:20 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

ok thanks you guys for all your suggestions. also, could it be a problem with the radio system? i didnt think it would be a radio sytem problem just casue i dont have this problem when running in reverse.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:36 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by lildjloop View Post
ok thanks you guys for all your suggestions. also, could it be a problem with the radio system? i didnt think it would be a radio sytem problem just casue i dont have this problem when running in reverse.
Could be somehow, but most likely if you check all the things we've mentioned you will find the issue somewhere.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:45 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

i thank you guys who have responeded to my issues...

i will check on all the things ya'll have suggestted me to check..

i will post wether or not i have found the problem and if it has been fixed.

thanks
Old 03-27-2009, 12:38 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

well i went and had it look at at the local hobby store and come to find out its a radio problem. there they switched the channels to see if it did it with the steering and it did the same thing with steering, it was sputtering and twiching.

so i guess ill have to return the radio and receiver and just buy a 3 channel for my future rear steering.

thanks for your help fellas
Old 03-27-2009, 02:49 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

You're always going to run into issues here and there with AM radios even if they aren't messed up. I've run some that don't glitch at all for a while and start glitching later. After going to a 2.4ghz radio I know I will never go back to anything less. They're more expensive, but out of everything on my rigs this type of radio is one thing that is an absolute must have no matter what. Look into DX3R, DX3S, or something similar from Spektrum if you can get enough $ saved up.
Old 03-27-2009, 03:43 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Dx3r ftw......
Old 03-27-2009, 07:22 PM   #16

I had the exact same problem on a ax10 with a am radio......just like you it ran great in reverse but glitched forward.......swaped in my mrc stock 2.4 radio system and problem gone.
fordranger2682 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:10 AM   #17

James has an ax10 RTR that comes complete with the controller etc. He has found recently that controlling it to run at low speed is very difficult. It tends to jerk forward rather than have smooth control. I feel that this is probably the combination of the cheap controller, receiver and motor controller supplied as standard. When its run at speed its ok, its just the fine control at very low speeds. So it looks a bit like the problem described above but in this instance I dont think it is actually faulty

Is this a recognised problem and is there a good control combination to upgrade to (if this is the problem)

Martin
mlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 02:22 PM   #18

MLINES, my RTR had the same prob, but I can't afford a new one. I learned that the ESC is a "learning" ESC and found a way to cure this prob. If you set the throt trim in the center and just give it a tiny amount of rev trigger pull then hold it like that and turn on your ESC power. Wait until you hear the lock in tones from your ESC and slowly release the trigger, but be ready to adjust the throttle trim to the rev pos. This sounds like a lot to deal with, but my truck creeps along with a 55T and the 27T motor when I start like that. This may not be your sit, but I hope it helps.
Belloak is offline   Reply With Quote