Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: ** DNA Steel Upgrade **

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2009, 10:07 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default ** DNA Steel Upgrade **

I just received and installed the new updated DNA dig for the AX-10 tranny with the new steel moving parts and this set-up looks bullet proof.
I'll keep my old first run VF dig as back up but I don't think it will get used.

The package is well done and includes the new servo mounting bracket.

This is my first run original VF dig no question a great performer.

My old VF set-up with a aluminum AX-10 tranny case with HB steel gears and a slipper clutch weighs in at 165 grams.

I did have to use the old pencil torch to convince the tranny to dig drive conection unit to come off due to galling aluminum from twisting something that will not happen with the new set up.

I then used some of the stickiest grease on the market Rocksmith's "GearJelly" my personal favorite to lube up the new parts.

So here's the new dig and tranny ready to be installed weighing in at 170 grams. The new steel parts weigh 30 grams and the old aluminum ones weigh 5 grams.
Being weight conscious I did not re-install the aluminum tranny case or the slipper clutch which saved 25 grams so my net gain was 5 grams.
Now both tranny and dig system both have all steel internals.

I also did not use the new servo mounting system supplied as I had a really good set-up already in place.
But the new mount is very light and will provide a very in line connection for smooth shifting and lower the servo for better COG. It also allows the builder to use any number of different sized servos which is a very nice feature.

The system shifts smoothly and is IMO something I won't have to worry about as failures in this dig system will be unusual if any. This is a great upgrade to a already awesome product.

Nice work guys this is clearly a improved dig system.

Last edited by Stormin2u; 04-27-2009 at 10:12 AM.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2009, 11:15 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Thanks for the build pic's... Looks Killer!!!
210solomon007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:48 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

nice how-to, it's always good to cover the detail stuff. i put my steel internals in my DNA a couple weeks ago and they helped me get to a 3rd place finish in the comp yesterday. It seemed like the dig engaged and disengaged exactly when i needed it.
engineerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 06:35 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Did you have to modify the stock case at the middle trans gear for the dig case to slide over the middle gear form and the slit??
Benzbuildr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 07:19 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 210solomon007 View Post
Thanks for the build pic's... Looks Killer!!!
No problem thanks for building such a awesome upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineerjoe View Post
nice how-to, it's always good to cover the detail stuff. i put my steel internals in my DNA a couple weeks ago and they helped me get to a 3rd place finish in the comp yesterday. It seemed like the dig engaged and disengaged exactly when i needed it.
I noticed the clean shifting to. It's a very nice upgrade from the original first run VF dig which was IMO the best of breed until this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzbuildr View Post
Did you have to modify the stock case at the middle trans gear for the dig case to slide over the middle gear form and the slit??
Nope nothing on the stock Axial case it fits perfectly but the after market aluminum case took a fair amount of Dremel carving to get a good fit.

Last edited by Stormin2u; 04-27-2009 at 07:21 PM.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote