Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Skid Plate Upgrade

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2009, 03:58 PM   #1

Default Skid Plate Upgrade

I'm wondering where everyone is getting their center tranny skid plates that are set up for more triangulation on the lower links (i.e. the lower links mounting closer to eachother in the center instead of out towards the outside edges of the chassis). I'm assuming this combined with a 4-link conversion for my rear uppers and longer upper links will significantly help my torque twist issues... Hopefully this makes sense on what I'm looking for. Thanks.
Skysthelimit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-2009, 04:33 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Here ya go http://www.eastendmachining.com/doretrskde.html
abadk9420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 05:47 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

The MFM Black Widow Chassis is only $40 and it comes with links and the skidplate...not bad for only $15 more than the skid itself.

I'm running it and think it's working great.
mascman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 06:11 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

R2J Kustoms!!! Super tuff and thick, Made out of Delrin and can be ordered in standard inboard links or Double triangulation, or any combo of standard + double triangulation front or rear. Here's a pic of the skid with his chassis. r2jkustoms.com
Attached Images

Krakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 06:15 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Snag up some 3/8 delrin and make your own based on the east end machine ones. It's a piece of cake. Dramatically helps with torque twist and helps not to hang up on angles step climbs.
calikingcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 07:17 PM   #6

is the Black Widow chassis really that much better than the stock axial chassis? and if so, why exactly? It says it has optimized geometry, but I don't see the problem with just triangulating my uppers and lowers, using a new skid plate for lower triangulation, and drilling new holes in my stock chassis side plates to use longer upper links with the correct geometry for better anti-squat. Are there other things I'm missing about the Black Widow? Let me know.
Old 06-06-2009, 07:48 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

yotachump sells the skid(forgot how much).... fits the AX10 chassis. No need for new chassis braces, just drop it in.
barbaricboye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 10:03 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

You can inboard your links for free...take a razor blade and cut your skid out where links would go inside then bolt them inside...simple as that...i ran that setup for a while and it worked just great...then once your more into the sport it may be time to step up to a new chassis...

Last edited by nonstopboost; 06-06-2009 at 10:06 PM.
nonstopboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 11:56 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Location: You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy

i am running a scx 10 center skid. so far i like it... i lost a little ground clarence but it crawls very well

Last edited by DeweyCJ5; 06-07-2009 at 12:58 AM.
DeweyCJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 12:22 AM   #10
RCC Addict

I have looked and looked and looked. And even asked and asked and asked, everyone said that the Scx-10 skid wouldn't work with he Ax-10. Now I know they had no clue.
calikingcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 12:56 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Location: You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy

drops right in. mounting hole's and mounting tab's line right up, all that is needed is to trim off the ears
DeweyCJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 09:12 AM   #12

the SXC-10 skid plate makes the lowers slightly more triangulated, but not a whole lot. I'm hoping for a skid that would make them really triangulated, almost something like the new Losi comp crawler skid plate where the rod ends are right next to each other at the skid plate end. Or do you think the one from R2J Kustoms http://www.r2jkustoms.com/services.html gets the link ends close enough? Also, I'm assuming it is better to run double triangulated than just in the rear, right? I may leave the front 3-linked for now, but I can get the new skids in triangulated for the rear, or for the front and rear. Is there any problem with triangulating the front lower links if I leave the front uppers in the three link config right now?
Old 06-07-2009, 09:38 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

if you want your lowers almost touching at the skid,

R2J skid is what you want.

as for your other question, my front is still stock with the 3 link on top and lowers just inside the chassis. rear is 4 link top and double tri bottom.

works good. very little torque twist, need to add a spacer to left rear shock and would be completely gone.

Last edited by matt ellerbee; 06-07-2009 at 09:43 AM.
matt ellerbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 09:41 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

I have bent delrin links on my Black Widow and if the links were any more inboard, I think there may be issues with driveshaft clearance.

At full droop, they just touch...I can't see any reason to move them in any more.

There is probably a point where it will cause more problems than it's worth...just my guess.

mascman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 11:05 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

R2j is where to go!
GSRswapandslow is offline   Reply With Quote